PDA

View Full Version : SUNFISH Update

Vern_Veitch
17-09-2002, 03:52 PM
GOVERNMENT COMMISSIONED AUDIT CLEARS SUNFISH QLD

Mr John Doohan Chairman of SUNFISH QLD representing 45,000 anglers today stated that he was surprised that the internally commissioned audit by the Department of Primary Industries had been "leaked" to the press & the apparent low level briefing to the Minister. I can't see what the fuss is all about but it is now out in the open & everyone can be fully made aware of its contents.

He said that there were virtually no adverse comments in regard to SUNFISH's project performance & the main concern seemed to be that we should implement our own more detailed accounting system instead of using a chartered accounting firm to process all our accounts. Had the Minister been briefed thoroughly, he would have found that out of the 35 suggested changes, 23 had to be made by his own Department & only 12 by SUNFISH QLD & ours included structural changes to our constitution which have already been finalised.

Mr John Doohan said that the most disappointing thing was that after having the report for nearly 2 months there had been no meeting with us by either the Department or the Minister to allow explanations of items or try to work through any issues.

Consequently major items of collective expenditure such as travel, accommodation & conferences of approx $50,000 have been taken out of context & were actually made up mainly of a grant from his own department of $ 10,000 for 5 our members to attend the international recreational fishing conference in Darwin. Additional costs for 2 major state wide SUNFISH QLD meetings involving 40 delegates & costs to send another 5 persons to Darwin raised by our own members were also included in the figures.

It is unfortunate that the department did not brief the Minister that the expenditure figures listed actually included our own bank funds as well as Government Grant monies raised from a levy on recreational fishers.

We are still awaiting a meeting with the Department & for the past 2months we have to spend our own monies to service our members on 64 Government committees around Queensland, conduct junior angler education courses, convey government initiatives to our members & generally communicate with the angling public. This expenditure included a bill of approx $6000 to actually compile & provide information for the DPI audit.

With no encouragement or funding from the Government levy collected from recreational boating anglers, these activities will have to stop very shortly Mr Doohan said.

jaybee
17-09-2002, 05:52 PM
Had the Minister been briefed thoroughly I know this isnt what the post is about.however,if this had happened with the tailor ris and the now ris vern maybe the minister might know what is going on..but then its all to easy to pass the buck in government..time the minister took time out to meet the real people instead of paying lackies to listen, speak and write for him..he like the rest of the labor gov has lost all credibility in my books
cheers.

Kerry
17-09-2002, 06:06 PM
Politics #??? #since when did facts and polictics join forces. It all sounds rather politically orchestrated but that shouldn't surprise anybody ;D should it ???

By the way sounds like there's obviously TOO many government committees as well #:o (especially if they are only fish related)

Cheers, Kerry.

dazza
18-09-2002, 04:20 AM
HI All
Is the Minister still the patron of sunfish?
If so it is very obvious it is only for political grandstanding. Verns post clearly demonstrates he has no real interest in sunfish or what it is trying to achieve.
"Had the Minister been briefed thoroughly"
If the minister was interested he would have made it his business to be briefed thoroughly
Cheers
Dazza

Vern_Veitch
18-09-2002, 01:31 PM
Dazza,
yes the Minister is still Patron and your views have been expressed by others inside and outside SUNFISH.
We will continue to try to work through it but the last time we had an audience with the Minister was late last year so communicating is difficult at present.
Vern

krazyfisher
19-09-2002, 06:31 PM
All things aside this is the types of things that came up from time to time. And as being a member of sunfish you do find out some of the facts and not just what the goverment lets out to the media, It does give you abit of a heads up with alot of things that r happening with in the fishing field. Things as small as road closures to beach and creeks this is happening in my area and with out my being a member I would not have known untill it was to late.

Vern_Veitch
20-09-2002, 12:49 PM
We try to let people know through the media and our newsletters but without government funding it will all be up to the government. Even trying to communicate with our members through I don't know how many clubs is a nightmare. How will the government do it when they must start their network from scratch.
Interesting times ahead.
Vern