PDA

View Full Version : Flathead crises

bo_sawyer
18-09-2002, 01:48 PM
Hi guys,
I just read the RIS and they might be imposing the size limit from 30-40cm (this is Queenslands not NSW) My concern with this is that it might make us rec. fishers take the bigger sized female breeders. What do use think???
Cheers ;D
Bo.

J_Large
18-09-2002, 06:03 PM
i think it is a good move. a 30cm size flathead is too small to get a good fillet off. it's recommended that u put the 60cm flatty's back as they are the breeders.

i'm all for it.

SteveCan
19-09-2002, 04:23 AM
I also agree with the 40 cm minimum limit - however I have seen enough 80cm+ lizards out there to believe that there are breeders out there. I reckon that 60cm is just a little to small for the upper limit though. I hope they choose to make the upper size 65 or even 70 cm.

From what I have seen of the recreational fishermen in the last few years it is common practice to release the larger fish anyway - which is as it should be.

Cheers
Steve 8)

BlitzBaga
19-09-2002, 06:03 AM
40cm minimum limit sounds good, and not before time, it's a shame to see people taking so many 30cm flathead (they are only babies). There are enough flathead out there between 40cm and 70cm and even more when the smaller ones are left to grow.

Cheers
Murray

Brian
19-09-2002, 08:49 AM
As people have said its about time the min size was higher to at least 40 cm.

While i rarely take a fish these days i do take fish that have been injured or bleeding badly from the gills. This is not just set on flathead.

I feel there can and i'm sure will be times when an angler catches a bigger flathead over the 60 cm that will be so badly damaged that its chances of survival is minimal.

Personally i would like to see that you could keep 1 fish over 60 cm. At least that way if a fish is badly injured you can take it home without breaking the law.

I know there will be heaps of view points that will disagree, that can happen to a smaller fish (what you do then) or bugger me i got two fish over 60 that are injured etc etc.

I will say i support bag limits and has been way overdue on a number of species, but lets be carefull what we sign away that may cause anglers grief at a later time.

Brian

bo_sawyer
19-09-2002, 03:04 PM
Hey guys,
NSW imposed a rule for only one flathead to be kept over 70cm brian. I agree with this because if you do catch an injured fish you can keep it, and the bigger breeders are left alone.
Bo.

stevedemon
19-09-2002, 04:15 PM
Hi All
ok I'm having a BI!!!!!! night after Monday's Bad Hair Day my thoughts on the Flathead sizes, I think the 40cm is just a little to rich!! ??? yes I do agree with upping the size limit to 36cm with one only over 70cm and a bag limit of 10(TEN) but that is my thoughts only once Agian SENSIBILITY not cutting our throats
on having fish for fun most fisho's only keep what they can eat anyway the RIS wants us to only be able to catch 5 Flathead 40cm and none over 60cm.

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve :P

Vern_Veitch
19-09-2002, 06:04 PM
Queensland Fishery Management could learn a lot from looking at what is going on in NSW and WA at present. While we need to look after the breeders, I agree with others that 65 or 70 would be a more sensible size and 1 fish over that limit would not do the fishery any harm. It was what was suggested by recreational fishers in the advisory committee to the best of my knowledge but it seems nobody is listening.
Vern

stevedemon
20-09-2002, 09:16 PM
Hi Vern
well for starters I could not agree more with you ;D :P but not only the
Queensland Fishery Management but also the Government side of things should be taking it all into account not just there petty little minds who by the way most of them would not know which end of the rod is up or which rod is which ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
But like someone said to me the other day that we can all take responsibility for the new limits as for most people just expect the other person to do every thing for them not realizing that it takes eveyone from all walks of life to help get the points across not to just sit back and say she'll be right mate :P :P :P :P
sorry if I have upset some people for this post but it is time that we all stand back and take a good hard look at ourselves and speak up not shutup or we will not be fishing for long as it will be getting to a stage of you catch it you bloody release it the Government say's you can't take it home if there are Government personnel that read this page or this site you should let all your colleagues no that all We ask is for Sensbility when making the rules but what is good for one is good for all this includes the Professional.
we are Australians one rule for all states not six rules for six states this way the Sunshine State
(or ;D ;D SMART STATE ;D ;D)
will not lose the tourist
my thoughts only

CHEERS ;D ;D
Steve :P

jaybee
21-09-2002, 08:40 AM
For all the flathead fishers
cheers. ;D

Summo
21-09-2002, 11:08 AM
G'day Bo,
interesting question :-/ I like most fishos love a feed of f/head, but funnily enuff its a species I dont keep a lot of. Probably because a decent lizard is a coupla feeds anyway. Two or maybe three..thats me ;)
With regard to keeping an old lizard, I think the public is pretty well educated about the vital need to release them. Its ben a long...long... time since I've seen anyone take a 6 or 7 pounder home.
My old man used to catch 'em under the old Tewantin bridge when he was young...late 1920's early 30's when 15 to 20 pounders were common place he used to tell me. Can u imagine???? ??? ???
Dad & me uncle Arche brought home a 12 pounder when I was about 13 from there..thats the biggest I've seen. Ya know Bo...be4 the internet came along, a lot of people were uneducated about a lot of things, but this super highway sure is teaching us plenty....I bet there's some guy out there who reads this forum & releases his next lizard. If so..bloody good hey ;D ;D ;D

ps...stop feeding ya cats tinned fish

jaybee
21-09-2002, 11:45 AM
good thoughts and post summo...N I DONT FEED ME BLOODY CAT TINNED FISH ROFLMAOi myself am not a great lover of flathead..if caught and the size is within reason..i like to boil em slightly, flake em and make rissoles..other then that i release em...I can remember working at the QLD fish markets when i was 16 fish of 20lb plus were bought in by the commercial guys but because of their size they didnt bring much money..they (commercial fishermen) use to take the roe n milt for home use and thro the carcass back into the water. :-[ wonder if it still happens..mmmmmm

bo_sawyer
21-09-2002, 03:11 PM
Hey JB,
DAMN!!! I wouldn't mind catchin a few lizards like that mate! I reckon they don't get that big in Moreton these days ey?
Cheers
Bo.

bo_sawyer
21-09-2002, 03:21 PM
Hey Guys,
Biggest I've caught was 2.5-3 Kg ;D
And at Jacob's Well some guy had brought in (got back from a trip in the passsages) with a Monster Flatty, It would have been close to 6Kg I reckon. And that same day, near the jetty, about 20 carcasise(how ever you spell it) were in the water, and they would have been decent Flathead! Hopefully i'll catch a few large ones this season, and they'll be going straight back!
And some one told me that, the bigger Flathead get, the worst they taste. I think i'd rather a small pansize one instead ;D
Bo.

fishy_phil
21-09-2002, 04:08 PM
gday
i just wanted to say...it doesnt matter how big the flathead is they all are good chewing!!! ive eaten a flathead that was over 15lb and it was BETTER than any small flathead ive EVER eaten. who evar said the bigger the badder is full of sh@t!!! if you have eaten a fresh or frozen big flattie and NOT over cooked it, which id say that bloke did, youll know what im sayin is true. that big 'un i ate was more moist more flavoursome and more tender than any flattie ive ever eaten and it would be in the same class as a saltwater barra!!! you can quote me on that!
phil
ps this fish was caught in 20 fathoms and was dead when brought boatside so it could not be released. as the saying goes waste not want not, why throw back a ???dead fish???

bo_sawyer
22-09-2002, 05:19 AM
Hey fishy_phil,
Chill mate, no big deal. He probaly tould me that so I wouldn't keep the big females. And by the way, My Uncle tould me that, and he isn't 'full of sh@t'!!! He always catches lizards around the metre mark and he knows what he is doing!!!
Bo.

Gazza
23-09-2002, 05:43 AM
Hmmmmm.......MIS-information or MIS-take?? http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm24.gif

Anybody else 'notice' he said the present minimum size was 35cms , and even had it typed out on the screen later on??

Biggest I've kept was 87cms and believe they always taste great.
(caught it first up , and decided to move-on and save me pillies for a Tailor or 2 i.e. remove sinker ,voila` Tailor rig)

http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm38.gifCook 'em with a smidge lower temp ,for a smidge longer ,put the lid on the frypan last coupla minutes to keep em nice & moist........BEAUDDIFUL!! http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm38.gif

Anyways ,IF Brownie doesn't actually 'know' the min. size (although he erred on the highside) ,what chance Mums & Dads following ALL the different regs ,including interstate?

'Incremental change' where it's needed........but 'blatant' mis-information???.......wrong,wrong,wrong

Just my 30cents or is it 40cents now?? ,no '36cents' sounds about right http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm20.gif
Regards
Gazza