PDA

View Full Version : ANSA QLD REJECTS PARTS OF MARINE RIS

Vern_Veitch
24-09-2002, 04:54 PM
Delegates at last weekend’s statewide Australian National Sportfishing Association (ANSA) Qld Branch meeting in Yeppoon, voiced outrage, then passed a vote of no confidence in parts of the recently released Marine Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS) developed by the Qld Fisheries Service.

The anger was targeted at those aspects of the RIS specifically proposing drastic new restrictions like dramatically reduced bag limits and changes to legal size limits on popular recreational angling species including Spotted mackerel, snapper and flathead in particular.

ANSA’s vote was in response to what the organisation sees as a grossly unfair and inequitable catch imbalance between what the recreational and commercial sectors will be allowed to take if this RIS is adopted.

Long time recreational fishing sector representative on the Finfish Management Advisory Committee (MAC) and ANSA member, Mr Kim Martin, advised delegates in Yeppoon that he had resigned from the MAC that week because of his total frustration at the direction that fisheries management in the state was taking, because it failed to recognise the need to reduce or limit the catch of all sectors harvesting the resource.

Mr Martin said he could understand why recreational fishers are asking why they should accept significant catch restrictions while the commercial sector was not being asked to reduce its total catch by similar amounts.

“It’s impossible to convince the average angler that it’s necessary for him or her to limit their catch because the stocks are in danger, while it’s still OK for commercial fishers in most cases to continue to take unlimited catches,” Mr Martin said. “Anglers naturally just see that as reallocating the fish from the recreational fishing sector to the commercial sector.”

“People are not stupid. They understand that if the fishery is in trouble, the responsible thing to do is restrict catches and they will accept this, however these people also expect the restrictions to be applied consistently across the board,” Mr Martin explained.

ANSA Qld urges all recreational anglers to voice their dissatisfaction with the inequitable approach being proposed in the RIS and reject the changes until a more balanced and fair management regime is developed to ensure the future sustainability of the fishery is achieved for all users.

Authorised for release by the ANSA Qld State Executive 24 September 2002
#

mackmauler
24-09-2002, 06:35 PM
Whats wrong with our managers Vern ??? Its a very depressing fishing future we all face the way its going, I've talked with lots of rec fishos who have never heard of the ris, anyone who supports the industry through purchasing associated goods should be given a ris, this needs to be compulsary like voting.

jaybee
25-09-2002, 03:25 AM
Too true mack..i beleive if the government were half interested in involving the rec fisher properly they would send flyers to all tackle outlets, advertise in papers, radio and tele, announcing the upcoming RIS then supply the RIS to said tackle shops, POs, when its time to fill em in..they manage to advertise every thing else.
cheers.

Brian
25-09-2002, 05:27 AM
Does not suprise me ANSA rejected the RIS in parts.

I have my copy and at our club meeting this Friday i will have a number of copies for our members to sign.

I'm even getting ear bashed about it at work and i never knew these blokes fished or even interested in fishing, So this RIS has stirred a few, so will take a heap of response forms there for signing and then i will hand deliver to Fisheries.

Hopefully that will see 50 - 60 responses, not many but a start.

Seems a typical approach by an increasing number of managers these days to utilise the old B.O.H.I.C.A theory.

So DON"T stand there and cope this respond to the RIS have your say not just talk about doing it, to late after the in action by the average joe to complain about what we get dished up.

Brian

SteveCan
25-09-2002, 02:36 PM
I have already submitted my response form.

Is there anything alse useful I can do?

Cheers
Steve.

skales
25-09-2002, 03:20 PM
To me this seems like a waste of time filling out forms and sending them off . Do you really think that will change anything?Paper will always be shuffled around the desk tops and "lost or misplaced " .There has to be more to the "Big Picture "the Governing bodies are holding from us .My opinion is to show our objection or opinion on these rule changes is to be seen in a mass gathering .Then we might have a chance to be heard .

Kerry
25-09-2002, 04:25 PM
Everybody put in an invoice to the government for a "rebate" ;D

That's 25% of the total personal outlay to cover green zones reduction, a bit more more for changes to bag limits (considering someone has ignored the real issue), an extra 10% for yet to be discovered possible "ethanol" damage, plus a % for a 3 month reduction in fishing time but considering the unknown weather factor that could "blow" out a bit.

So what does that make it :o probably about three fifth's of five eight of ....all

Cheers, Kerry.

jaybee
25-09-2002, 09:35 PM
I know this is late but had probs with the pc..for those on the south side of brisbane that are interested there is a sunfish meeting tomorrow night wed 25th at moreton bay trailer boat club manly harbour 7pm..i will be there and joining sunfish.
cheers.

Lucky_Phill
26-09-2002, 12:43 PM
Brisbane.Central@parliament.qld.gov.au

attention Hon Peter Beattie.

The above is the address we can send our concerns in our own writing.

Others below can be utilized.

Moggill@parliament.qld.gov.au ( this is David Watson )

Mr Lawrence Springborg

Southern.Downs@parliament.qld.gov.au

More to come. Maybe we need to send a message to the Federal Level. ?

Vern_Veitch
26-09-2002, 04:09 PM
The feds are the ones pushing green zones but it is the state government pushing fishery management changes. They are trying to blame the feds but GBRMPA only called for 3 9 day closures and not a full 3 months - that came from state level.
It appears that the only way we will get listened to is if more of the general public gets off their b**s and writes to their local politicians.
At the moment they think we are disorganised and not a political force. So how many will vote on fishing issues?
Vern

webby
26-09-2002, 04:39 PM
Have sat back and read with interest, the comments made by all, regarding bag limits/Ris/and closures, but as Skales stated, paperwork and e-mails are easily lost especially into waste bins, you can send a 100 e-mails etc to whoever and still have no effect.
But feet on the streets and a show of force will not only draw attention by also the media and that is whats needed. If Rec Anglers are to have any impact, clubs and other affilliated bodies should organize a show of force on the streets. You can swap correspondence till the cows come home, but it wouldnt be near as effective as faces. 60% of all rec anglers in this state would not no what is taking place on out there. So are we going to keep trading paper work and electronic messages or do we stamp our feet, like everyone else who want to be noticed. I've been there and done the paperwork bit and got nowhere on other issues. so whats it to be ????
regards
regards

stevedemon
26-09-2002, 04:47 PM
Hi all
well peoples Skales is pretty well on the money but I would like to no is how many of you people would be willing to do what the Unions do and stage a march on Parliament an give up a days fishing to show them that we mean business and they we need to be heard as well don't forget that we are not only fighting for ourselves to fish with SENSIBILITY rules and regulations but also for our further generations but to do this we need as many people as possible not only on the Ausfish line but your friends there friends all fisho's big and small young and old and I'll be the first to put my hand up or are you all just going to say its alright joe bloggs will do it not good enough for us people to be heard a show of force is in the line and the only way we will be heard is for all to stand and help I am not a union person but the idea of all fisho's being united for once then maybe we will get some where how many others are willing to put up there hand to defend our rights we need not hundreds but at least a Thousand show of hands for this to work so think about it peoples

CHEERS ;D ;D
Steve :P

jaybee
26-09-2002, 07:14 PM
Just got back from the sunfish meeting..apparantly mr beattie is quite approachable on the ris and would like people to contact him whether email or snail mail..dave bateman and a couple of other exec sunfish members had a meeting with him at 5pm tonight so more should be heard soon. Good meeting thoroughly enjoyed it and got to have my 2 bobs worth. One thing that was bought up was 'Honey' will attract more bees then 'Vinegar' I have already informed my local member they have lost my vote if this ris goes through the way they want it..and as she said when i met with her earlier..for every letter they recieve they beleive there is 5 that don't write..vern is right here more should be putting pen to paper. A convoy would be good webby, however how many people will end up with traffic offences..the gov will win again.
cheers.

stevedemon
26-09-2002, 07:50 PM
Hi Agian all
Sorry JB can't agree with you on the traffic offences as if it is done right between clubs, Friends or people needing lifts thats the chance we take which ever way we go we have to be heard and the rally is the only real way to go now ??? :o >:(

I Have had a lot to do with Government bodies in my early years they tell you face to face that they will listen but if there is a show of force and the media they then have no choice !!! But to listen this has been proven time and time agian so once agian I will stand up in the front line and I will also take some Friend with me now the time is action not words who else will stand with us ???

As we sit a chat the time is getting to a stage where we will not be heard and it will be to late to do anything at all so let us all make our mark and stamp our feet in the right place not just in words ??? >:( :o
CHEERS ;D ;D
STEVE :P

jaybee
27-09-2002, 03:19 AM
sorry steve miss read webbies post i thought he meant a convoy of cars n boats..i can handle walking in on parliament..thing is who has the time during the week i am free thurs to fri..and who will volunteer as our spokes person.
cheers.

SteveCan
27-09-2002, 03:20 AM
Just got back from the sunfish meeting..apparantly mr beattie is quite approachable on the ris and would like people to contact him whether email or snail mail ...for every letter they recieve they beleive there is 5 that don't write..vern is right here more should be putting pen to paper. A convoy would be good webby, however how many people will end up with traffic offences..the gov will win again.
cheers.

Hey JB, The reason the other 5 (or more!) don't write is that they don't use a service like Ausfish! I wonder just how many rec fishoes are actually aware of what is going on?

While I respect the efforts of others here trying to organise some kind of rally, I would not attend a public demonstration. The whole concept of a rally is so far away from the reasons I go fishing that I can't reconcile it. I will continue to do my bit by writing my local government rep's and hassling all in my aquaintance to fill out an RIS response.

And If you can get a rally off the ground - I will tip my beer to you all from the comfort of my lounge room! ;) I bet it would be a sight to see, so many different demographics of people are rec fishoes that the resulting hodge podge of a group would give a group psychologist nightmares. Hmm.. Might be worth coming along just to witness the spectacle...

It looks to me that the protest over this RIS is gaining momentum - If it continues to rise over the next two weeks we just might make a differnce that counts.

Cheers
Steve

jaybee
27-09-2002, 01:18 PM
with all due respect steve most users of ausfish do fish at least once a week..according to the gov a rec fisher is also one who goes once a year whether it be a 4 week holiday or one weekend. It was my local member who said to me that I need to contact these people..me on my own..how many people do you know not on the net that goes fishing just once in a year..I know a few have contacted them and they have written to their respected members..there are 880,000 of us out there (QLD), and as far as i am concerned there is nothing stopping the government from advertising on and in all forms of media like they do with every thing else..Mr Beattie had the money to run a full page add re the police union..NO EXCUSE..all new traffic laws are advertised, publiscised..NO EXCUSE..and the ris is a new law..NO EXCUSE..they are playing us for dumb S**** because we don't make waves..the QUESTION I WANT ANSWERED IS:according to the dpi site rec fishing is far more valuable to the econnomy then commercial fishing..why then do we take cuts the commercial guys get increases..and all their catch is exported..then we buy it back as cat food..and human food..stuffed if i know..