PDA

View Full Version : Gents / Maggots

Adam
20-09-2002, 08:21 AM
Im coming over to victoria from perth for a fishing holiday and was wondering if gents were availible in shops?
If possible are they of good size and for what price...
Thankyou

Henry
21-09-2002, 05:24 PM
Gents are available in Victoria most serious tackle shops sell them.
I don't know about size but cost is around $5 to $6 a box. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm16.gif

Derek Bullock
25-09-2002, 04:55 PM
Hey there guys.

When I was young we used to breed our own. Get a good sized fish head and hang it in a tree to get blown. Place a tray of pollard under it and as the gents mature they will fall into the pollard and clean themselves. Great bait for garfish.

I remember nearly getting kicked out of my quarters one year for having a good fly blown fish head hanging in a tree out the back.

Yeah, that's right, the smell's a bit powerful so make sure it is well away from the house.

Cheers

Derek

Henry
27-09-2002, 06:39 AM
This way is not so smelly.
Get liver or other suitable meat from butcher.
leave out until fly blown and wrap up in 2 sheets of newspaper.
Place in a bucket on top of 5cm of pollard.
Put bucket in wood or tool shed for 1 week.
By this time maggots should be finding their way out of newspaper, you can help them by loosening paper.
Dispose of meat and newspaper, but leave maggots in pollard for 1 day to clean themseves.
Sift maggots from pollard and mix with bran.
Store in sealed containers in refridgerator.

Summo
27-09-2002, 07:32 AM
Well bugga me..ya learn something new here every day ::) :o

Can u guys tell me what u catch with maggots..whiting?? ??? perhaps.

&? What is pollard?..where does one get it. I would like to try something new, & this sounds pretty bloody good, altho it might piss off my neighbours at the rear hanging a stench out the back :D :D ;)
( Altho they haven't complained yet about the chook manure I top dressed with this week :-/ :-/ )

Henry
27-09-2002, 12:43 PM
Pollard and Bran can be purchased from a food and grain store, they are not expensive. :)
If you have a wood shed or a tool shed down the back away from the house use it you will be surprised at how little smell there is. :D
None of my neighbours have complained, yet and I grow Maggots often. 8)
I reckon Maggots will catch just about anything in fresh water, they are the Coarse Anglers must have bait. ::)
They are a top bait in the sea and estuary. I have caught Garfish,Tommy Rough, Salmon, Mullet, Bream and many other species. :) :D

Derek Bullock
27-09-2002, 04:33 PM
Hey guys.

Yep you do learn something new everyday. We used them for gar but now you mention it whiting might be OK as well..

By the way if you are off fishing and something happens and you can't get home for a while, just remember, they are about 90% protein.

Like I said you learn something new every day.

Derek :-)