PDA

View Full Version : Who Pays for a Trip As an owner of the boat

jaybee
27-09-2002, 01:46 PM
Okay you own a boat and car or paying off both. On a Disability support pension and working perm part time. Somone wants to go fishing what do you say and what do you expect. Trying out peoples morals and values here. Not taking into consideration of sharing someone elses boat on the next trip..its all in good clean fun and honesty
cheers.

gruntahunter
27-09-2002, 02:13 PM
JB, I use as a rule of thumb when I take non-boaty type people on a trip.......I supply car, boat and fuel for both....they supply bait and drinks.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
27-09-2002, 02:32 PM
i'm fortunate in that my mates & family are both great fun, considerate & genorous (i'm getting a bit misty now...)
Seriously if I invite them I expect nothing but they often thrust their hands in their pockets without suggestion, if one beats the other to the counter to pay for the fuel, the other attempts to be first to the takeaway counter on the way home.
If they suggest a trip & my dollars are short I'll be honest that way the only ruffled feathers are damaged egos when catch is compared. I never expect them to help clean down my rig regardless, I'm just happy for their company.
On the week long comp trips we take it as it comes - no rules - it all evens out if we are considerate of each other.
chris
p.s. dollar wise I reckon they pay more easy - labour wise i put in the time - as i said though we have no rules

Lucky_Phill
27-09-2002, 03:09 PM
I'm with Chris, most of the folk I take out are more than generous when it comes to paying their way.

For the non-fishoes I take, I supply boat, car, fuel, food, drink and ice and bait. Then they'll hand off some folding stuff. Sometimes they'll ask how much fuel did you use ? etc

If I take fishoes, it might go like, they supply car, me the boat, they the bait, me the ice, but it usually involves no money changing hands.

On the big trips offshore, I always fill the big rig upon return before they get home, and say well, that's the fuel bill, ante up !, Set the rules before the trip and there'll be no probs. Fishing isn't a cheap pastime.

But, then again, some folks company is worth more than a block of pillies ;D :D ;)

SteveCan
27-09-2002, 03:25 PM
Well, it's a bit of a tough one.

If I am going out and I decide to invite someone aboard my boat, then you can be sure it is someone I like a great deal! Therefore they are my Guest and guest's don't pay. Sure it's a bit more work, but I can guarantee you I was going anyway, so it's no more cost. (Unless they start losing heaps of my tackle!)

If payment is offered it would be welcome, but it would depend on how the day went and my mood as to wether I would accept. Not to mention the state of my wallet at the time!

Having said all that, I have a modest 5.0 metre runabout, It fishes two comfortably, three quite ok and four if the conditions are perfect ;). If I had a bigger, more expensive boat to run - I think I might change my attitude fairly quickly. Boats are expensive - which is a bit like saying water is important if you want a fish!

I wonder if others feel the way I do about a day on the water. So many times people say to me - 'Oh, you will have to take me out someday' Lindy and I look at each other and think - 'In your dreams Pal!' :P A day on the Boat is precious and invariably well earned. By which I mean I have worked and sacrificed to get there and there is nothing else in the world I would prefer to be doing. I guess I am a bit jealous of that time so it is unlikely that I would have a casual aquaintance aboard. We only get to go serious fishing every second weekend, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Good Post JB - hadn't really considered this one before..

Cheers
Steve. 8)

Fisherman02
27-09-2002, 03:52 PM
hey joe
hmmmmm, I reckon the passenger paying either 50/50 or paying for the bait is fair as I would be happy to do
cheers jack

mackmauler
27-09-2002, 04:30 PM
If any young ladies want to sunbake on the front deck or bring me a coldie while I struggle with the denizens of the deep that is sufficient. For all the others out there I'm always knocking back, just you wait you'll get your chance. 8)

Brian
27-09-2002, 05:58 PM
Well i'm like most of the people here i guess. When i go fishing on a day trip if whoever you take with you offers to pay for the fuel or takeaway so be it. I would i never ask.

If we are planning an extended trip its usually 50 50 or thereabouts one may buy the fuel while the other may pay for the drinks etc, in the end it works out WE never debate the money issue, it just works out in the long run but that my mates.

I enjoy there company and we go away to have a good time not to worry about who paid for what.

As for what you were saying about being on a pension if i was unable to go or afford to go boating i would be up front with my mates and say sorry i cannot afford to go and if they offer to put in then so be it.

My 2c worth.

WHITTO
27-09-2002, 06:44 PM
:)The mate and I alternate our trips,I don't ask him for anything,I figure I was going Fishing anyway and I often go alone and so does he,We are both Shiftworkers,Iam talking about Impoundments and using Lures,not as expensive as bait,ice and offshore running expenses. 2 cents worth, Good Fishin 2 u all Cheers Whitto :D

Big_Kev
27-09-2002, 11:21 PM
If they were my invited guest I would be only to glad to take them out and show them a good time without them paying a thing .
If they they were keen fishos wanting to come fishing I would let them know to expect to pay for there share of the fuel before we go , and to bring some bait .
Fill the boat on the way home,and split the cost .
At least one would expect them to realise the true costs involved . Have not ever had a complaint yet .

BOMBER
28-09-2002, 04:23 AM
Hi All,

I look at this issue like this I would be on the water anyway if on my own so if someone asks if they can come, I don't even ask for any monetary return, if they offer I refuse, like I said I would have been out anyway.

regards,

THE BOMBER

jaybee
28-09-2002, 10:53 AM
Some really good answers here..good stuff..wasnt too sure how it would be taken..I started the poll after some feedback from other boat owners and it was something i really never thought off. thanks guys..will pass the answers on
cheers.

Summo
28-09-2002, 10:54 AM
The only partner in my boat to date has been my sweet blushing little flower - Sweetlips, :P :P. We generally divy up the cost with me taking it out on her body ;) ;) ;)

lordy
28-09-2002, 01:16 PM
Well, as a passenger I like to pay for the fuel for car travel and boat. The owner is providing the capital in the form of the boat and car. That costs a fair bit just to own, ie rego, insurance, wear and tear etc. This accounts for about 50% of boating/car costs (or so they generally work it out in accounting terms). Paying the fuel part is the other 50%. #I think that paying the fuel costs is fair enough and it evens things up before you even hit the water.

After that its arranged as people see fit (bait, food etc), usually 50-50.

But, its really up to the people in question. Mates of mine will take me fishing and refuse to be recompensed for fuel for various reasons (ie works pays for it, or they were going anyway so its no more expense, etc). I know not to bother arguing with these blokes any more, so in these cases I like to bring a bit of extra feed for them.

Finally, if someone rings up the owner and wants to go out, they should take the fuel costs without question (which is now even), and then take a big chunk of the other expenses as a thankyou.

ozdevil
29-09-2002, 09:10 AM
Gday All

in my own opinion i feel that everything should be 50/50 with in all fairness to everyone.......the only time i dont expect someone to pay there way is on a spur of the moment decision.....but if it is a planed tip or they no they are a part of my crew who come out regular with me they know the deal..........

It is common courtesy i think to offer something to the boat owner wether the person accepts it or not.....

anyway cheers all

ozdevil

scroman
29-09-2002, 02:14 PM
having been the only boat owner within a small group of mates there are no rules but there are rules of thumb - if that makes any sense. A number of you have said the same thing. I love my fishing and would go anytime invited or not. If someone wants to come i think it's great to be able to share a wonderful experience (with or without fish). My father always said "it's about being honest and fair - what goes around comes around"
Anyway if we can educate the uneducated in the beauty of angling then the cost is irrelevant!
2 cents worth!!! have a great weekend!
Scroman

CCLRG
29-09-2002, 02:45 PM
50/50 ALWAYS!!! BUT IF THATS NO GOOD, PASSENGERS SUPPLY FOOD, DRINK AND THEN USE THEM AS BURLY OR LIVE BAIT. ;D ;D ;D

Vern_Veitch
01-10-2002, 05:32 AM
I'm in the same position as JayBee and have to watch my pennies. That said, I still go fishing alone sometimes and I always expect to pay more than my share when I go with someone else. I expect the same in return.
I've found that it always seems to work itself out without a word being said.
Vern