PDA

View Full Version : NOW IS THE TIME FISHERMAN OF AUST

CHRIS_aka_GWH
28-09-2002, 10:17 AM
with recent events at Seaworld, the time is ripe for a total ban on jetskis to be introduced to our waterways.

For years it has been speculated that jetskis have an independent intelligence far superior to those who seek to control them. Finally (and tragically) one has thrown off its shackles, pitched its rider & sought freedom, injuring the innocent with its actions. Thankfully it was contained by its enclosure.

It will not be long until others follow!!

We must act now to avoid a catastophe.

If even one of these rogues escape into the wild what will be the consequences?

sincerely yours,
chris

Summo
28-09-2002, 10:45 AM
I dont c anything wrong with that except u 4got the 'TO BE SHOT ON SIGHT' poster Chris.

Confiscate the darned contraptions from the idgets who own 'em, then shoot 'em 8) 8) 8) http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm21.gif

jaybee
28-09-2002, 11:02 AM
Never have been a great lover of jet skis..Don't think I've come across a responsible rider yet..and they appear to be the same in the car after a day on the water..however i thought the riders were supposed to wear a wrist band attached to a kill switch so if they fell off the motor cut out..and seaworld shouldn't be exempt..if this is the case.

bugman
28-09-2002, 11:37 AM
Gentlemen,

Can I kindly ask you not lump ALL jetski riders into a group of inconsiderate arseholes.

As a rider and owner I agree there are some idiots out there who make it worse for everyone else.

But it's a similar argument to rec fishos when stories are publicised of fish kills - excess bag limits etc. I don't here many people here trying to shoot all rec fishos but rather the black sheep in the flock.

I'm a rec fisho first and when I ride my jet ski I take into consideration other rec fishos in the area and will almost always try and use and area that has no rec fishos - generally wave jumping at sea.

I know there's more sarcasm than anything in the posts on this thread but it's like anything - sometimes generalisation and sterotypes can get a bit out of hand.

Shoot the individuals not the group.

Bugman

PS and yes jaybee there is a kill switch attached to a band that is conneted to either your wrist or your lifejacket. It's a digital key that only allows the ski to power-up once connected.

Summo
28-09-2002, 11:49 AM
:-/ Ohhhhh! How I remember the days be4 jetskis were invented :)

I wonder ??? ??? what it'll be like when the underwater jet propulsion sub goes into commercial production & every a***hole that owns a jet ski upgrades :-[ :-[ & gets it to where he's going via ultra light chopper that hovers over our boats winching down upon us unsuspecting fisherman.

The days of peace & quiet gone 4ever! OHHHH!!! The pain :( :(

Going home now to build my sound proof bunka.. ;)

thunder
28-09-2002, 12:03 PM
I believe that all responsible fishing people should retrofit their boats with torpedo tubes kept fully loaded and ready to fire at the first sign of one of these abortions.
There is some mysterious power in them that turns normal people into homicidal, rude lunatics

CHRIS_aka_GWH
28-09-2002, 12:11 PM
the travesty is bugman very few are like you. At a guess you were a boatie first, probably owned something small then graduated to your larger craft as you gained experience. They (jetskis) are an awesomely powerful device & as witnessed yesterday even a mistake/mechanical failure in the hands of an expert has dire consequences. It is currently far too easy for idiots to obtain & run one legally. The same can be said for boats - I've witnessed some stupidity in $100,000 boats from blokes who have the cash for the boat but have n't done the apprenticeship in the water. At least a boat is more visible, less manouverable, cannot accelerate as fast & deccelerates quicker than a jetski. In addition a boat with the type of speed of a jetski costs an absolute packet & is out of the reach of many young guns.

My biggest gripe - the water is an accessible place of solitude for me, be it surfing (a few years back) or fishing. The sea isn't mine & I make no claim to it. But the very nature of a jetski & the enjoyment of it requires the motor going hard - sort of destroys the reason I'm out there.
chris

moater
28-09-2002, 05:16 PM
Like many I can't stand the bloody things but mainly I think because of the large amount of idiotic owners/operators.I heard on the radio today that apparently the owners have ADMITTED TO REMOVING THE KILL SWITCH AND USING THE SKI WITHOUT IT!! >:( Here comes another expensive law-suit and another reason for everyones insurance to go up. >:( >:( >:(

Harrya
29-09-2002, 02:53 AM
Let's hope the power's to be make it compulsive to have Third party Insurance and the Insurance company
Make's the premium so high that these
nutters carn't afford to run these Bloody things .
I agree the worst day ever was when some one made these things JET SKI's
Ban them before someone is killed

jack_attack
29-09-2002, 04:23 AM
CHRIS_aka_GWH, well done. I thought it was pretty damn witty/funny. Pity the discussion is heading the way it is.

So here goes my 2cents worth.

I have never owned one (jet ski/wave runner/water rocket) nor ever ridden one and even if I didn't like them it would give me no right to have them banned.

It is not the ski that is at fault. It is the rider. There are ratbags on both the water and the road, in boats, on bikes, in cars etc.

I have seen some ski riders that are very considerate of other boaters and I have seen some that are deadset wankers. I have also seen the same with fishos in boats. I would rather a ski go past me at 15000 knots than a bloody great 50 foot Bertrum at 15-20, especially while I am anchored fishing.

I suppose a lot of it has to do with the area where you encounter these "rogue jet skis".

Lucky_Phill
29-09-2002, 06:41 AM
Yes Brett, you are in a minority group.

Can't say that I've had any good to friendly experiences with Jet Ski's. Too many near misses and problems.

If they go, so be it, if they stay, ahh Well !

Like guns and cars, it isn't the vehicle that's the problem, ???

Like all fed up fishoes, I carry a good slingshot and some nice ballbearings. Apparently, it's against the Law to " Take the Law into ones owns hands ", but if the Law ain't around........twag ! crack ! Doh ! gurggle gurggle gurggle !!!! ;)

Vern_Veitch
29-09-2002, 12:10 PM
As a long time trail bike rider, my view is that jet ski's should be treated like motocross bikes. They should have a dedicated area and they should not be allowed in general use areas. It is the nature of the beast that they will be ridden as a performance vehicle most of the time.
We do not allow race cars and bikes to be driven on our public roads except for special events such as Indy. The same should go for jet skis. They have a place but it is NOT in the areas used by the rest of the mainly slow moving boating public.
I emphasise that this is a personal view.
Vern

thunder
29-09-2002, 04:05 PM
Good one Vern, I guess that is the fairest and most sensible suggestion to date.
But I'm afraid it still doesn't change my opinion of the monsters

loboy
29-09-2002, 07:09 PM
No mention has been made of windsurfers yet. I was trolling the Elliott River and a windsurfer came in close to the back of the boat. Had a 2 metre flying fish on the chrome lure in no time!!! Only fish for the day

Balistapus
30-09-2002, 01:01 PM
While recently fishing near eastern side of Peel Is. I heard a sound approaching me from quite a distance. A few seconds later 3 Ausducks were close to my fishing spot. These boats are incredably fast and a credit to their drivers they all slowed down to a reasonable pace while passing me then put the power down.
As others have said it is the drivers/riders not the machinery and everyone has a responsibility while on the water to look out for others.
Summo sounds like a redneck and i would guess he owns a gun or two..

bugman
01-10-2002, 04:21 AM
I'm never going to convince people who have already got a mind set on this issue but it's good to see people blaming the rider not the equipment.

Jetskis are already banned in great parts of Sydney Harbour and I can probably see the day when there will be no-go zones here around south east Queensland.

I'm just interested though - what is the part that infuriates you the most about jetskis?

Is it the speed at which they pass you - and if so why does that bother you?

Is it the noise?

Is it the fact that they come to close to anchored boats?

I personally think that all personal water craft owners/operators should hold a license. Currently there is no license required and in reality you should be tested whether you can operate such a highly tuned piece of machinery.

For the record I have a worked RX 900 Seadoo which does 110kmh on flat water and jumps about 35 foot in the air off a two metre swell.

Just as there is a thrill to catching fish (that's what I go fishing for) there is a thrill to jetsking. It's a personal choice.

PS does anyone else on this chatboard own or have used a jetski.

Bugman

Vern_Veitch
01-10-2002, 05:21 AM
Pretty much as I said above bugman. I am a trail bike rider. I own a large bike which is quite fast and fully road registered and it is, unlike most other similar bikes, very quiet. Despite being a responsible rider, I am restricted to where I can ride because of the acts of others.
Jet skis are the boating equivelent of motocross bikes in my view, from the noise that they make to the behaviour of the majority of peope that ride them. They are bought to provide excitement to the rider.
All of that is fine so long as it does not interfere with the rights of others to have some relative peace and quiet and to not feel threatened by those who appear to be out of control.
The answer is simple - areas should be set aside where jet skis can be ridden and they should require a special licence, after all, car drivers cannot ride a bike legally on their car licence.
I am not against people having fun - I enjoy watching car, motorbike and boat racing in all their forms, but public waterways are not test tracks for the general public to find the limit of their skill and other peoples tolerance levels.
Vern.

Summo
01-10-2002, 06:52 AM
:o :o :o REDNECK??? :o :o :o..

well I never..... :'( :'( :'(

stevedemon
01-10-2002, 07:23 AM
Hi All
Well Brett nice to see you had good time up north but like a lot of other fisho's I have also had some problems with the jetski/riders but also I must say that most of them stay there 30 metres from the boats when at full power but I have also had some of them try to play a game of ;D ;D CHICKEN ;D ;D with me this show me that they are D!!!heads but I have also got to admit that I have also had problems with young people in their tinnies coming way to close at top speed while anchored as well as the big bay cruises and have have nearly been swamped by these big boats not caring about the 30 metre distance so when you add it up it comes down the RIDER/DRIVER of any VECHILE/BOAT/JETSKI but yes I do agree that they should have a Licence for these instructments of death before they kill themselves or someone else.

Cheers ;D ;D
STEVE :P

chrisjon65
01-10-2002, 05:08 PM
:)dont own a jetski or boat .
i do my fishing in a kyak and have to fish from 2am to 8am to avoid all the bloody cowboys in ski boats and
jet skis and even some idiot anglers
;D

SteveCan
02-10-2002, 03:23 AM
Hmm Jestski's...

Camping at south straddie on the weekend, we walked across the island to the beach side to investigate a promising looking gutter right up against the beach.

About 500 metres south of where we were, three jetski's were having fun in the waves - no biggie. But as we were setting up all three tore up the gutter, less than 10 metres from shore right under our noses.

I am sure the fish dont' mind having three noisy jetski's roaring over their heads :-/ Which is probably why we caught a big fat nuthin! Those riders had the whole ocean to play with, they could easily see what we were doing and they could have easily gone a bit out to sea to avoid us.

That lack of consideration from the riders is why I don't like jetski's. As for Jetski's themselves, they look like a heap of fun and I would love to have a go - but you wouldn't find me anywhere near people enjoying their peace and quiet on the water..

Cheers
Steve.

bugman
02-10-2002, 03:54 AM
Steve et al

I can't give excuses for inconsiderate jetski riders - they don't deserve any.

What I can do is advise you to take down rego numbers and inform the department of transport or water police. Rego numbers must be displayed in large letters on the side of the craft.

You may think this is not going to get you anywhere but I'm sure if a true idiot on a jetski was alerted to the authorities about a pattern of behaviour then something would be done about it.

I've got a suggestion - At the next Ausfish gathering how about I bring the ski and everyone can have a go and experience the fun for themselves. (said a bit tongue in cheek but more than happy if anyone is intersted)

Of course the majority of riding would take place away from where the serious fishos are going about their business.

Bugman

Summo
02-10-2002, 06:50 AM
Does anyone recall the bad press the JETSKI RIDERS ASSOC OF QLD received a coupla months ago, when in excess of 100 of its members were gathered for an annual 'run' off Cylinder Beach Stradbroke?

They were observed within a 100 metres of a pod of whales acting like a bunch of teenagers on skateboards frightening the crap out of these majestic creatures. Donuts/revving motors etc etc.

& this was the Assoc which represents the jetskis of Qld.. gimme a break...for every responsible bloke out there, & I acknowledge their presence, e.g. bugman ;) there's another 10 who are simply pains in the arse.

Oh! Balistamus...lighten up my friend. :D :D This posting was started with humour to which I added a bit. The only time I'm a 'redneck' ;) is when I forget the sunblock out o the water. The comment about shooting 'em is tongue in cheek. I'm sure u've heard the saying, even from ya own dad 'The things ya see when ya dont have a gun!'

so next time ya out on the water 15 miles from anywhere, enjoying the tranquility & solitude the sea offers..an escape from the hectic pace & stresses of modern life... & u see a speck on the horizon which turns out to be 'redneck/s' on jetskiis who have 5 miles of ocean in which to pass u, but instead decide that authority can't touch 'em way out there...u know the rest....donuts..harrassments.. something from modern life intruding upon my space...

If I have to pay higher camping fees,. barge fees,permit fees, registrations, licence fees etc etc...then perhaps its time the authorities regulated these contraptions making their ownership expensive with regos, insurances etc
What does a car owner under 25 pay 4 insurance?

I'm with Phil..thanks 4 the idea mate

'The things ya see when u dont have a slingshot!!!!!' :-/ :-/

Chris_J
02-10-2002, 07:21 AM
Well People ::) #How many times has this issue been #raised? A HEAP! but still nothing is done. . .maybe there is something to that ;)

I'm a user of jetskis quite often (at least twice a month) and yes(!) i agree with many points being raised about reckless driving etc BUT i have more trouble with other Boaties/fisherman. . .should we ban them to? ??? I sure hope we don't!

I think Vern has hit the nail on the head. . .seperate areas for different activies. . .but still nobody will be totally happy. I think in good time the people in power will realise that this sorta agreement has to be put in place. . .but there always will be some tossers out there no matter what is done. . .same with everything i guess ::)

Well thats what i think. . .take it or leave it ;)

BTW i also have a slingshot. . .might try it out on the next boatie that causes trouble ay? ;) (J/K)

Cheers

CJ

P.S I'm with bugman they are a heap of fun. . .its just one of those things u need to do b4 u totally understand the thrill. . .man can they move :o

thunnus
02-10-2002, 07:47 AM
Its sad that nothing will ever been done or anything else for this matter - all the government cares about at the moment is a war tax and what the cops are being payed!

jet ski's also give me the shits and i would support a "jet ski only area". I cant say that i have seen to many responsable drivers.

while we are all have a bitch - did anyone see the "toothfish pirates" story on four corners last night? ???

Yet another story where the government wont do shit to stop a species going down the drain let alone protecting our oceans. I'd say there getting a bit of money under the desk from that owners in Indonisia.

anyway i have had my monthly winge now ::)

sea you out on the water - Justin

bugman
02-10-2002, 08:21 AM
I'd have to say I'm not totally in support of specific jet ski areas. Limiting riders to where they can go is going to cause some very unhappy people and I'm sure many fishos wouldn't like it if they were told they could only fish in small isolated areas. Because that's what they would be - small isolated areas.

I'd be in favour of making certain areas off limits to jetskis - I know some people may be saying that's the same thing but the latter would allow for more freedom. It would prevent jetski riders from using heavily trafficed areas like Pumistone Passage - areas of the Pin - Gold Coast broadwater etc - but still allow for open riding in other parts.

Making self declared Jet ski zones which would be the only areas for operators to use their craft would be going a bit far.

And as for rego-insurance - owners are already paying for the nose for these things. You wouldn't beleive insurance costs. It seems thieves love them, pushing prices up.

I know they're not for everyone but neither is a lot of things - and just because you don't like them doesn't mean they have to be banned.

I'd rather shoot the owner of the big 40ft Riveria that came with 5-10 metres of my anchored boat at full steam at the Pin 2 weeks ago.

His wake caused much more concern that the two jetskis that went past at 80kms an hour with practically no wake.

We're going round in circles though with neither side going to influence the other and neither of us going to influence the government !!!!

Bugman

Chris_J
02-10-2002, 08:53 AM
We're going round in circles though with neither side going to influence the other and neither of us going to influence the government !!!!

Bugman

Good call Bugman ;)

CJ

CHRIS_aka_GWH
03-10-2002, 07:17 AM
for a tongue in cheek dig, I certainly stirred a hornets nest. Here's an example why...
Two weeks in a row, two seperate ski owners, Jacobs Well boat ramp - both gun their motor to load the ski onto their trailer when leaving with subsequent plume of sand blasted off the ramp. The guy two weeks ago had a damn winch on his trailer, the guy yesterday could have simply sunk his trailer, floated the ski on tied off & pulled it out. They were both 40 plus guys with young families. #???
Its that sort of thoughtless stuff I think we are all noticing.
chris

scott_b
04-10-2002, 03:08 AM
I don't have any problems with jet ski's up here , we have a large dam and theres anough room for everyone . I was fishing in the Noosa river on tuesday and seen half dozen very well behaved waverunner riders.
I think jet ski haters should look through the idiot riders and take note of the sensible riders that you don't try to see.
wamjam