PDA

View Full Version : How big is big enough???

drevil
03-10-2002, 10:14 AM
I have a 3.6m tinnie with a 25 evinrude on the back, and a mate of mine is on to me to take it over to Mud Island. #

I haven't been a fisho for all that long, but I reckon that 3.6 is a bit small in case the weather came up.

What's the general opinion???

mackmauler
03-10-2002, 10:26 AM
The water between the mainland and mud can be very rough. You'd need a good day. I'd reckon the fishn there is not worth the risk.

MICHAELG
03-10-2002, 10:32 AM
I own a quni dart 3.75 and it is only recomended 20hp

what make is yours to be rated to a 25hp

bassmansrc
03-10-2002, 11:10 AM
Drevil,

I have a 4.35mtr with a 40 hp. I will only go outside when the conditions are right. Always make sure you've got your safety gear & atleast a 27mhz radio in case of mechanical problems.

If your not sure on the weather then it's best not to go.

Oh by the way I'm from Sydney & i have no idea of this island you talk of, but I reckon my advice is still valid.

Steve

drevil
03-10-2002, 12:11 PM
MichealG, it's a Stacer tinnie, probably about 10-12 years old. It had the 25 on the back when I got it...I'll check the plate on it tonight and see what it's rated at. I have looked at it before and don't remember seeing the rating though. Do all boats have max hp, regardless of the age?

Big_Kev
03-10-2002, 12:23 PM
I have seen boats of this size and probably smaller in the waters around mud .
But I can only say that I would not even contemplate this in less than a 4mtr tinny .
With only a 15 knot breeze the waters on the bay can be quite choppy , and a little tinny is not the place to be .
I am sure that if you ever have seen the size the noahs get to in the bay you would think twice .
Quite a few boats have come to grief over the years and the crew has not always been found , and the guys who turned over earlier this year can count themselves lucky , for when no other boats are about its a big bay .
Dont mean to scare you but this is my opinion .

CHRIS_aka_GWH
03-10-2002, 12:56 PM
Drevil,
no reason you can't do it - but you need to do some planning. My brother & I about 2 yrs ago went mackeral fishing around the south passage bar end of the Rous channel in a 12ft Stacer with a 15hp Merc. put in at Wellington point.

Plan a pre-dawn into daylight session - this gives the rescuers maximum hours of daylight to find the upturned hull & your lifeless bodies. Seriously I wouldn't do an open water allnighter in a 12 footer.

Follow the weather, pick your tides plan for that day - if the weather doesn't suit, you go fishing in sheltered waters. It took us about 3 moon phases to get perfect conditions. Once you're out there phone the weather forecast occasionally & pay attention to what the water & the sky is doing. Mud isn't that far out its a pretty quick run back. Pay attention to the conditions & you'll be right. Know where you are going & how to get back.

TELL SOMEONE WHERE YOU ARE GOING & YOUR ETA BACK.

cheers,
chris

Lucky_Phill
03-10-2002, 02:15 PM
I have fished Mud on many ocassions in boats as small as 3.9. But, on any given day, a 4 meter boat is about the minimum. Although I have seen much smaller ones over there.

Plan your trip ( wind going with tide for each crossing ) and leave from the River, that way you only have a 10 -20 minute run in the open water.

I'd be fishing the western side as well. The channel between Mud and St Helena can get nasty at times. :o ::)

gruntahunter
03-10-2002, 02:36 PM
Mate in a 12 foot tinnie any forcast over 5-10 knots ...no way
There is safety in numbers as the saying goes so if you have a bigger boat with you than the odds in your favour increases.
25 horses on a 12 foot tinnie is also asking for trouble mate but the old outboards are rated at the power head and not the prop so they can be a bit higher.

drevil
04-10-2002, 05:08 AM
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think it's pretty much confirmed what I was thinking - I'll either wait till I get something bigger, or saddle up with a mate with a bigger rig.

I also checked the plate on the Satcer last night at it's rated at 25hp max.

MICHAELG
04-10-2002, 07:03 AM
drevil

why I asked is because I had a mate, who put a motor on a tinnie over the boats Max rate. He made a insurance claim, when somebody ran into his boat. Insurance company voided his policy, because of the motor and the guy who hit him had no insurance either.

costly lesson

Flynny
04-10-2002, 07:46 PM
Hi Drevil
All I Can Say Is That On A Bad Day A 110 footer is too small!
But,seriuosly you have to know your boat;s capabilities as well as your own, small boatys are made for small water.
Cheers Flynny

Flynny
04-10-2002, 07:52 PM
Reply to Michael
Mike Insurance companies will use any tool in their very large box to get out of paying a claim.
For this reason you need to make sure that your horsepower is within range,Make sure that your trailer is up to the weight,Check your policy with great care,ask the questions ,get the answers,and, take note of the name of the person that gave you the answers.
Flynny

banshee
05-10-2002, 05:40 PM
Flynny,haven't you caused me some sleepless nights! Read your bit on weights on trailers,did the sums off the brochures that came with my boat(5 months old).It would apear that I am 200 to 300 KG over the G.V.M. Have to wait 'til tuesday to get to the weighbridge,trailer manufacturer told me if it's over they'll have to upgrade it for me gratis,...Bloody hope so.