PDA

View Full Version : Maruto hooks

webby
08-10-2002, 03:21 PM
Have been using these hooks for a couple of months now, and find them cheaper to buy. Their Forged Nickeled. The beak/baitholder/O'shaughnessy/wide gap and circle are just as good and strong as anything mustad has on the market.
Has anyone else used this brand. If so how do you find them. The trouble is i've only found one store that carrys them. Made in Japan.
regards

Smithy
08-10-2002, 06:21 PM
I use them all the time because they are cheap but I have had problems with them. They seem to be brittle and I have snapped a couple on sharks. In Peter Pakulas opinion they are also the wrong shape for trolling hooks. Trolling hooks should have turned in points like the Light Gauge Mustad trolling hooks, the 7691S hooks and the hottest hook of the moment the Gamakatsu SL-12S Trey Coombs fly hook. Won't stop me from using my Marutos though as I have so many rigs made up on them. I use my SL-12Ss first choice though.

webby
09-10-2002, 02:47 PM
Thanks Smithy, havent used them for trolling yet, mainly live baiting or strip baits, and all bottom work.as of yet no probs with them, what store do you get yours as the one i use only has limited range, but gave me a catalogue, wouldnt mind trying some of the others.
regards

mackmauler
09-10-2002, 03:47 PM
The store i get them from is wellsys tackle buddina through mailorder but this probly won't help you cause the only ones i've seen from there are stainless game hooks like smithy mentioned.