PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane River Trawling

drevil
09-10-2002, 05:57 AM
I was having a relaxing lunch at the old Powerhouse on the Brisbane River @ Newfarm the other day and saw a trawler going up & down the river with his nets out.

Any idea what he was chasing? Are there prawns in that reach, or was he after some mullet or something ???

Nugget
09-10-2002, 06:06 AM
More than likely prawns.
When we have long periods of dry weather the salinity of the water increases way up the rivers and as a result fish and prawns move up river.

Dave ><>

webby
09-10-2002, 02:43 PM
I work at Albion and drive along the river couple times each day, there are two trawlers always working the area from breaky ck down passed the gateway, would love to know what their catching, might be as Dave said prawns, but they sure attrack the gulls.might find out where they tie up and go and have a peek. Might be a cheap way of getting some bait off these blokes.
regards

jaybee
09-10-2002, 02:57 PM
How big are the trawlers..going back a few years there were a couple of 18 to 25 footers (open and cabin jobs) working that reach of the river. If i remember correctly 2 were owned by a bait / fish shop just up from the breakkie creak pub..they use to catch some good sized schoolies..the smaller and medium went to the shop, bait and food sales..the bigger were cooked and peeled an put on the market floor and commanded top dollar..they were excellent eating..being a family business they worked the river regardless of time, tide, flood and drought as the prawns were always there. Also they scored flathead, mullet, bream, jew, tailor and snodger whiting not to forget the old cat fish.
cheers.

drevil
10-10-2002, 05:02 AM
Would you guys eat fish from the Brisbane river ??? Especially from around the city area?

jaybee
10-10-2002, 06:11 AM
have done so quite a few times drevil specially muddies..must get this third arm seen to one day mmmmm ;D