PDA

View Full Version : black tide

Steve_Ooi
21-11-2002, 05:27 PM
It looks like spain is just waiting for the black tide to come in... :'(
with that tanker breaking into two and sinking, with an estimated 70,000 tonnes of oil on board going down with it to the ocean floor , some 3000 metre deep. No salvage rescue operation is going to happen at that depth.
let just hope the environment in the area can some how bounce back...

Imagine the damage that would happen if something like this take place on the Australian coast line and GBR.
Single-hull tankers such as the one that went down it Spain won't be fully banned until 2015..
Does that mean another 12 or so years of crossing our fingers hoping that we avoid disaster. :(

Poony

adriancorrea
21-11-2002, 05:32 PM
They should just ban single hull tankers like that one now instead of waiting for another disaster http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif

Tight Lines
Adrian

stevedemon
21-11-2002, 05:34 PM
Hi Steve
We can only hope that the world will stand up and take notice of the unfortunate mishap and bring the 2015 rule forward a lot quicker to aviod any further happenings like this as for it happening here lets hope our coast lines never see the likes of this or any accident of this nature to our eviroment

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve :P

dazza
22-11-2002, 03:46 AM
Hi All,
This WILL happen. Law of averages says it has to. There have been 2 ships run aground this year (probably alot more we don't know about). One on the barrier reef and one hit an island/rock in the Torres Strait. Hopefully the powers that be for world shipping get a clear message and bring forward the proposed changes. If this happens yesterday it won't be soon enough.
Cheers
Dazza

spool
23-11-2002, 02:53 AM
gidday qld fishers
its terrible in this day & age that this is happening world wide. i work in the maritime industry & can tell you some horror stories regarding FOC(flag of convenience) shipping thats currently plying our coastline regulary and i feel thats its only a matter of time before there's a disaster of a greater magnitude than has all ready happened. how many people know about the tanker that split in two & sank off the WA coast? the media certainly isn't too interested as they seem to be far more concerned with hanging off lil' johnny's every word! we all know you can believe a politician.
I hate to come across as a doomsayer or a cynic but i know who'll be footing the bill to clean the mess up as the shipping magnates hide behind $2 shelf companies & paper trails a forest deep.
Australian shipping is in its death throes and our taxpaying seafarers are just the first casualty's.

p.s. how're we going to get all the military equipment to iraq?

fair suck of the sav johnny!

spool