PDA

View Full Version : Go the RAIN, bring on the Barra See pic

Jewmaster
23-11-2002, 10:14 AM
Starting to get good rain over the finnis river the last week, The barra will start to move up on the river on the big tides with a fresh flow of rain water coming down the system.

CAN"T WAIT, Haven;'t managed to land one over 19 pounds, hoping for a 20 pounder this season.

GO THE RAIN.

jaybee
23-11-2002, 11:29 AM
hey jew
need some rain down here in brisbane..not to mention all the other places, i would rather sit and wait, why add injury to insult, anyway hope you get heaps o water as we need it down here
cheers.

Jewmaster
23-11-2002, 12:01 PM
Not trying to rub it in to anyone, just happy for the rain, we have had a BAD wet last year and a very long dry, my 2 favourite billabongs where full of dead fish and there has been no good dry season fishing.

HOPE YOU GUYS GET HEAPS OF RAIN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

jaybee
23-11-2002, 12:09 PM
thanks jew, but as you said you have had a bad wet, wouldnt common sense prevail and i know its not easy to hang up the rod for greener pastures so to speak. just a question not taking the mickey out of u .
cheers
joe

Jewmaster
23-11-2002, 12:22 PM
The bad wet was last year before christmass, hopeing for a big wet this year, not sure what you mean by hanging up the rods, haven't been barra fishing all year, hence the jewmaster name.

Basicaly Im a bit lost as to what you are trying to say, sorry feeling abit slow today.

Posted some finnis river baara in the freshwater photo section from a couple of years ago, Im a greeny and like to catch fish for photos, except when ibring mates along.

Need some more Darwin AusFish memebres but most of my mates don't have access to the net.

jaybee
23-11-2002, 12:42 PM
Sorry jew, guess what i am saying is there will always be another time, hang up the rod and wait for a wet, so to speak, i guess it doesnt matter if you are salt or fresh fisher, if we dont back off soon there will be no fishing future the way things are going, lack of rain, and still the same pressure from fishermen, and Christmas coming up which will add to that pressure, dont know what are your thoughts
cheers
joe

Jewmaster
23-11-2002, 12:59 PM
The fishing in Darwin has been going down hill badly for the last 5 years the goverment sits back and does nothing the NT goverment doesn't have half a clue like ther counterparts down south, just go to a fisheries page and you will find nothing for the darwin area, we have basic restrictions, but they only just introduced a bag limit on our reef fish, for years people would go out and catch 100 snapper 30 jewfish and fill the boat with fish, and wonder why ther are none there next weekend.
Too many people taking too many fish.

We fish in a PRIVATE billbong on the finnis and no other area on the finnis produces the fish that this billabong does, mainly becuase the owner is VERY strict and the fishing will be good there for a long as the billbong is closed to the hords. We have to battle illegal netting and netting of the top of the billbong where the water flows in and out, you could report it to fisheries but they never get there in time, so each wet, we head to the river where it runs in to the billboing, which you can't pass in a boat and pull the nets out and dump them on the bank, it is not PROS who put the nets in, its local people who are greedy.

The poeple up here seem to think it is good to go and and catch a year worth of fish and throw it in the freezer, I think it is JOKE, I go fishing every weekend and I don;t eat fish

jaybee
23-11-2002, 01:27 PM
The fishing in Darwin has been going down hill badly for the last 5 years the goverment sits back and does nothing sad to say its the same in QLD jew, too little too late, however to make amends the government expect the recs to take a slap in the face while they let the commercial guys tonnage stay the same as 10 yrs ago. in NSW with the introduction of licenses and bans on commercial fishing, the feedback i have recieved is it should have happened 15 yrs ago. so where do we go from here, keep hammering our local member so in the hope the government will eventually wake up? if not what will be our fishing future?? questions, questions, but who has the answer, sad eh .
cheers
joe.

spool
24-11-2002, 04:14 AM
hey JM gidday from darwin boy also born &bred. mate the rain is lookin promising but u know how fickle our wets can be. jaybee im prayin for rain 4u fellas to & specially NSW & VIC or they'll start thinkin they can dam our northern river systems.dream on AJ
JM i was workin as a deckie on a charter boat for AQIS & Customs after i left school in the early 80s & 1 job was to take officers out to the taiwanese fishing boats(fully crewed by tiawanese) that had a 5 year contract to fish in territory waters in partnership with an australian fisheries co. & the trawlers would drag their nets right up darwin harbour. on a couple of instances when we went on board the freezers were that full they couldn't close the doors & there were turtles, dugongs amongst other things hanging out, partially frozen. now from memory i think there were at least 20(60ft) trawlers & a couple of massive mother ships working our coastline & if this was happening on our doorstep makes you wonder what was going on sight unseen. i tend to believe that the nt govt is slowly heading in the right direction compared to those early years of self govt but it will take a long time to repair, after all these ecosystems were set up over millions of years.
I didn't realise the BoM site had a radar overview(cool), being the computer illiterate dumbass i am.
Had a good catch of macks the other week just off the vernons, huge school & only 1 other boat there, me an me mate took 8 home over a metre long & the school was still bustin up by the time we decided to call it quits and head back to leaders.
You cant beat a feed of fish specially at the price of meat so we tend to spread a good catch amongst the family & mates that are doin it tough.

cheers spool

jaybee
24-11-2002, 04:19 AM
here is another site that has all the good guff on weather you might enjoy
cheers.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/