PDA

View Full Version : smart charger

adriancorrea
22-11-2002, 08:30 AM
Hi all 8)
Has anyone got one of these chargers???
Whats the difference between them and a normal charger and whats the price for them???

Tight Lines
Adrian

Brian
22-11-2002, 04:14 PM
Adrian,

From my layman knowledge when i was chacing a battery for my electic. A smart charger will give a rapid charge as required and then change to a low input until the barttery is fully charged and will turn off.

The stopping when charged and turning off will save boiling your battery.

I also think the smart charger will give a set rate which some batteries require.

Arlec at Geebung area was very easy to talk to and offered to demonstrate the charges. Hope to go there soon.

Sorry cannot help more that that.

imported_admin
22-11-2002, 09:06 PM
You can see the Arlec range of Battery charges on their website http://www.arlec.com.au/ProductDescription.asp?SCDescription=3&SubSCDescription=10

Contact details, etc are there as well

adriancorrea
22-11-2002, 09:23 PM
Thanks Steve
Ill contact them in the morning and find out what I need.
Once again thanks ;)

Tight Lines
Adrian

adriancorrea
22-11-2002, 09:57 PM
Thanks Brian
Do you have an address for them at Geebung and have you any idea on what sort of cost Im looking at???

Tight Lines
Adrian

Brian
23-11-2002, 07:25 AM
Adrian,

Let me know how you go as i have only a loan 15 amp charger we maybe able to buy together and may get a cost saving. You can contact me on 33006155.

Brian

IanF
23-11-2002, 08:26 AM
I bought a smart charger several months ago. It stays on the battery all the time when not in use keeping it fully charged. This extends the life of the battery. The charger works by charging up to full charge initially then a kind of float charge to keep it at full. I got it from Battery Chief (formally Battery World) at Capalaba. I can't quite remember the cost but maybe it was about $50. The guy in the store was very knoweledgable about these things (as you'd expect) and I feel I have definately gone down the right track. If your going to fork out the dollars for electronics and a battery, you want it all to work at max potential whenever you need it.

Ian

Big_Muddie
23-11-2002, 11:31 AM
Hi.

An alternative to buying a Smart Charger that may be a bit cheaper but just as effective is to buy a "dumb" charger and add a Protecta Charge Control BM140 unit to it. It gives the same result as a smart charger.

For instance, I bought an Arclec 10Amp "Dumb" charger from Supercheap (under $100 from memory) and the Protecta unit from K-Mart for about $50.

Also from memory, the cost of a 10 amp "smart" charger was in excess of $150 - although I could be wrong about that.

I guess it all depends on what you want - amperage etc. My setup keeps my deep cycle battery ready for use at all times and I don't have to worry about cooking the battery.

Just another alternative for you to consider.

davo
26-11-2002, 03:36 PM
A couple of years back I bought a Baintech 15 amp charger. It's a switch mode power supply unit a has the sellecter switches to charge gel, lead calcium, or normal fwet cell batteries as well as cell equalization.

The guy I got it from said that the only thing people complain about is the price but not the performance and he was right. My charger is eqivilant of about 25 amp normal transformer type charger. I used to troll only with electric power and I could be up and fully charged in no time. I now use it on my 2 gel deep cycles for the 24volt bow mount. As I said the $500
price tag is a little high but they are excellent.