PDA

View Full Version : mono vs braid

fishsmith
25-11-2002, 12:37 PM
The modern angler is seperated by two classes those who use braid and those who use mono... much is written lately of braid and the high profile anglers that use it but mono has been around for a long time and has up teched it self as well. In recent years ,developing high abraisivve smaller diameter lines with low memory e.t.c. and served the angler ,well in the last decade or so.
::) 8) :o whats your opinion braid or mono....

Cheers .....Fishsmith....

jaybee
25-11-2002, 02:03 PM
i've tried braid didnt mind it however once when fishing i was snagged and i wound in around 50 feet of braid, the lure on the end was encrusted in barnacles and half eaten away, the braid was slimey but still in excellent condition, so was concerned to what damage this stuff could be doing to live coral, freefrowing in the current like a hack saw blade. No one has been able to answer it for me.
cheers.

Maxg
01-12-2002, 06:01 PM
Well firstly a poll on which is best is silly, they are two entirely different lines with totally different characteristics, Mono is stretchy, fairly abrasive resistant, and has good knot strength with simple knots. Gel Spun Polyethylene yarn lines are non stretchy, thin, strong, slippery, float, have terrible knot strength, are impervious to most things,have bad abrasion resistance, high modulus, cannot be extruded in a monofilament line, don't like sharp edges, and cannot be glued unless an oxidising primer is used.
. It can only be used if the yarn is in the range 25/50 odd denier, and the quality of the line, depends on their being sufficient yarns in the braid to provide a reasonable abrasion resistance, which is directly related to diameter, or the number of fibres in the individual carriers in the braid.
It does not rot, is impervious to ultra violet, age does not weary it, it just keeps on being GsP. It has a natural white colour and you might get a colour to stick to it for a while but eventually it will wear off. Does that answer the question. I suggest you talk to Aust Monofil, Stewart McPherson. Cheers Max