PDA

View Full Version : Barra Debate

Dr_Dan
21-11-2002, 06:44 PM
Just wondering what peoples interpretation of the barra closed season is. There is a big debate in Townsville at the moment about whether you should be able to target barra, for catch and release, during the closed season. The ross river in Townsville has a series of weirs along it, and form minni dams along the river. There has been barra stocked into the fresh water of the ross river, and have thrived. Now to the debate. About a week or two ago, a group of anglers were actually fined for fishing in the weirs. They understood that the law was only refering to the taking of barra. Now what do they mean by taking? Does that include targeting? This very question has divided the fishing community in townsville. The way I (and many other fishermen) see it, is that these fish were stocked there in the first place and have no opportunity to breed. The only way they can reach the saltwater is during a flood, where they then have to pass over 3 different weirs to reach the salt water. Now these weirs are a good 5-6meters high. You can't tell me that the barra are going to be in any flash condition, after surfing flood waters down a 6 meter drop. But the authorities seem to think different. They are saying that catching a fish puts immense stress on them, and this i'd have to agree with. But if handled properly, the fish surely is going to be in a better way than after surfing in a flood.

I personally believe that the targeting of barra is not going to have a drastic effect on their breeding capability. If they are brought to the boat/bank quickly enough, and released properly, they should be fine.

Interested to hear any other views on this.

Dan

Fitzy
21-11-2002, 07:50 PM
The way I read the law is that if you "target" a fish during it's closed season then you are breaking the law.
If you happen to be fishing for eg mullet, even using gold bomber lures then its ok. If while targetting said mullet, you "incidentally" catch a barra, then you must release it as soon as possible causing as little distress to the fish as possible.
If a fisheries inspector approaches someone & asks what they are fishing for & the answer is "Barra officer", then they deserve a fine. But if the angler answers "mullet officer" then they can't touch you.
If you are after barra & admit it, then you deserve a fine for being so bloody stupid.
The only 2 places in Qld (public waters) that barra can be legally targetted or taken during closes season are Tinaroo & Awoonga dams. That's it.
There aint no law against "incidental" captures however.
I'm in no way endorsing the practice of exploiting the loophole however. The closed season is there for a reason, to protect breeding fish. I believe that a roed up female that is caught, is highly unlikely to breed that season. Just a guess really, but that's what I think all the same. If they are stocked barra in a dam. I really don't see the need to protect them with a closed season at all.

Good topic & one that definately needs better clarification from QFS.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Barrymundi
22-11-2002, 01:47 AM
Dr Dan,

Having involvement with the stocking of barra in the Townsville weirs I can tell you these fish do go over the walls and do survive.

A lot of fish in the weirs are tagged, sometimes with microtags. Fish from these weirs have been caught in Bowen, Haughton, Crocy, Alligator, Ross, Black, Bohle, Crystal, Hinchinbrook.

I will not enter the debate of “should you target Barra during the closed season”

All I can say is the closed season should be flexible depending on moon phases and rains.

Maybe you and your mates could purchase a “Twin Cities Fish Stocking Society” Sticker from the Tackle Warehouse on Duckworth St. The money raised from a sticker buys 4 fingerlings. There has been lot of cake stalls and chook raffles to raise funds to stock these fish.

I have included a picture of Barra caught and tagged during an electrofish program on Aplins 4 years ago.

The bloke in the picture is “Poppy Ray” and this is a small Barra,

Dr_Dan
22-11-2002, 04:08 AM
The only problem with what fitzy is saying, about targeting other species, is that there is NOTHING in the river, other than barra that can take a large livie. So really, no matter what you say to the officers, it's pretty bloody obvious what you're targeting. As to barrymundi's point about fish surviving the fall over the weirs, i never doubted it. But obviously if they can survive and not b e stressed out by that, then they could surely survive a quick capture and efficient release.

Also to barrymundi's reply, I'm just curious as to which weir these fish that tags have been recovered from were released into? Were they all from aplins? or did some come from further upstream? And as for the bumper stickers, next time i'm in there i'll have to pick myself up one.

Cheers
Dan

sooty
22-11-2002, 05:36 AM
As a member of the local fish stocking group doing what I consider my civic duty, am I breaking the law by being involved in surveys on our dams and targeting Barra during the closed season ?
While in the company of Fisheries Officers / Nets/ Electrofisher I guess not, but what about other times ?
The time is long overdue for a change in the law to bring all elligable socked dams into line with Tinaroo and Awonga.
Just wondering,
Sooty

Dr_Dan
22-11-2002, 06:56 AM
I agree with you sooty. Particularly with the need to buy a fishing licence, by allowing anglers to fish/take barra out of freshwater dams, would actually increase the stocking capabilities. With the funds going towards more stocking/research, it is actually beneficial to have more people fishing. It also doesn't hurt to take a couple of the big girls, It increases the survival rate of the hatchlings.

Surely if tinarroo is capable of being fished all year round, so should the other dams

Dan

Mad_Barry
22-11-2002, 08:41 AM
Interesting topic,,

The weir debate in Townsville is hotting up allright.

Personally I can't see a prob with fishing Blacks weir, or even Gleesons, maybe leave Aplin alone, as some may flush over 1 wall,, & good on 'em #:). But making it over 3 ??,, dunno. Dan's question is good. Alan do you know from tagging records, which weirs fish have come from ?

Do you's consider it "Bad form" #up here to go tossing lures around looking for jacks as they liven up over summer ??, or even fingermark around the rock walls etc ?? queenies around the headlands ?? #I'm eager, #but a bit hesitant, as I do respect the reason's for leaving the barra to "do their thing" #:)

Also, what do you fella's get up to during the closed season, without the risk of upsetting the Barra ?,,I'm predominately set up, boat wise, for estuary & close offshore lure fishing, & with the very real possibility of ending up with Barra on the end of my line, #I've always gone a bit quiet over the closed season, but this year I have more time on my hands & want to keep fishin'. #any idea's ? # # # #

whiteman
22-11-2002, 09:46 AM
When the wind slows down a bit, it's out to the Palm Islands and reef for me!

Vern_Veitch
22-11-2002, 04:56 PM
Personally, I do not have a problem with fishing in dams for barra at any time of the year. I have the full official recapture report for the Townsville region as of about 18 months ago and very few barra make it downstream successfully - a lot less than has been publicised.
Targetting barra in the salt is a different thing. Barra school at this time of year near the mouths of waterways and big females are suckers.
One small problem - researchers who should know say that catching even one will turn off the spawning of the whole school. I can post a press release from fisheries last year that quoted Rod Garrett who is a senior biologist that has studied these fish for over 20 years and whose opinion deserves respect.
Hopefully, the new freshwater RIS will reduce the concerns in some areas but not Ross River.
And it is a good question to ask why not.
Vern

Barrymundi
22-11-2002, 05:01 PM
Hi Guys,

It has been a while since I have seen the actual figures for the weirs. From memory they can come over the 3 walls and get out ot sea. During a good wet the flow over the walls is fantastic.

I will try to source some ACTUAL figures for you

Vern_Veitch
22-11-2002, 05:20 PM
Oops, forgot to add, it is illegal but in my view, above a barrier such as Applins, should not be. The weirs are basically a put and take fishery. If the fish inspectors are concerned about illegal fishing then it should not be too hard to tell if the fish was caught in fresh or salt.
Vern

StuH
27-11-2002, 09:18 AM
Excellent topic Guys and one that offers quite a few questions.
Am I to understand you cannnot target Barra in stocked impoundments other than Tinaroo and Awoonga during the closed season? If this is true, why? As I understand these fish can't breed and are stocked for the purpose of catching. Could someone explain this please.
I was also intersested to read a weekly fishing report on another Qld based magazine web page where the writer from the Port Douglas area suggested it was a good time for a catch and release session on barra. Not only did I think this was Illegal to target these fish at this time but somewhat irrisponsible of this individual to suggest we go out and do this.
I don't have a problem if a barra turns up as a bycatch while chasing jacks etc, as long as it is handled carefully and quickly released.
Stu.

Vern_Veitch
27-11-2002, 05:14 PM
Stu,
female barra congregate at this time of the year in big schools. Problem is, even catching one can turn off the whole school if they are spawing according to the fisheries biologists. This is not good for future fish stocks and really is a bit irresponsible.
My other points are above.
Vern

Dr_Dan
29-11-2002, 12:33 PM
Just wondering if you had those figures barrymundi?
As for what you say about the capture of one turning off the whole school vern, that's something i just didn't know. Interesting stuff!

Vern_Veitch
29-11-2002, 04:33 PM
DPI Press Release below:
21 January 2002
DPI warns: Out of season barra catches don't benefit anyone
EAST Coast barra enthusiasts who can’t wait until February 1 to catch a fish should consider the ramifications of deliberately fishing for barra in the closed season.
Fishers who set out to target barra in the closed season– even those who release their catch – can undo the gains for local barra populations that have come from years of fishery management. Illegal barra fishing can disrupt spawning activities that may not be repeated again until the next season.
Department of Primary Industries principal fisheries biologist Rod Garrett, from the Northern Fisheries Centre in Cairns, said barramundi needed very special conditions to spawn, and these occurred on only a few occasions during the summer months.
"When you’re dealing with wild fish that aren’t accustomed to being handled, if you catch them during a spawning episode then the stress will cause them to cease the activity. They may not be able to recover until the next suitable spawning time comes around, which could be a few weeks later or even next year," Mr Garrett said.
He said barra were particularly vulnerable during spawning times because they clustered into an "aggregation" at certain locations along the coast– a great temptation for some fishers keen on catching the prized fish.
"Where there are only a few fish in the aggregation, then the disturbance from fishing can be enough to disrupt the whole group and then none of them might spawn."
The closed season for barramundi, first introduced in Queensland in the early 1980’s, is a cornerstone of fishery management measures put in place to boost barra populations from significantly low levels in the past.
There are two closed seasons in Queensland, the east coast closure (from 1st November to 1st February each year) and the Gulf closure (the dates of which vary from year to year but cover the major spawning moons from October to January).
As a management tool, the seasonal closures act to protect barra when they are spawning and when they are most vulnerable to fishing.
Other elements of the fishery management strategy for barramundi include gear restrictions, area closures, and size and bag limits.
The Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol enforces the closed season regulations throughout the state, and there are steep penalties for offenders.
"There’s no doubt that catching a decent sized barra is at the top of many anglers’ wish list," QB&FP district officer Tom McNamara said.
"Many people have friends and relatives who visit them during the summer who are eager to go out and hook a barra, even if it’s to photograph it and let it go.
"But catching the fish during its spawning period has serious ramifications, not only for that fish, but for members of its spawning group and of course robs the fishery of hundreds of potential fingerlings.
"Not to mention that the person catching the fish, whether they’re part of a tour group, with friends or relatives or on their own, can be liable for hefty fines.
"We also call upon all persons whether they be serious anglers or just enjoy the water to kept an eye out for illegal activities and if sighted ring our hotline number 1800 017 116," Mr McNamara said.
Further information Tom McNamara QB&FP Ph 47 72 7311 Rod Garrett Nthn Fisheries Centre Ph 40 350 100 Andrea Corby Media Officer Ph 47 222 648

Barrymundi
01-12-2002, 03:04 AM
An extract from some tagging Date "From over 680 fish tagged in Ross River and about 480 in the weirs, only 3 have been recaptured downstream".....

Where this looses credibility is Steve fromthe Fish Stocking Society has himself submitted 3 recaptures for te Weirs -email response from Steve "A little hard to believe data below, considering I have three recapture records myself, of Barra tagged in the Weirs caught in the Burdekin"

I am still looking into it.

Vern_Veitch
02-12-2002, 06:14 AM
I am happy to provide the full report by the State Tagging coordinator to anyone that wants it. Be aware that it is 1.8 MB.
Vern