PDA

View Full Version : mackeral the bay

michael_mad_fisho
04-12-2002, 01:52 PM
:( :(gday guys
i am shocked to see such little mackeral activity in the bay does anyone have any i deas as to why they have gone my guess is the pro netters .thanks a pi@#ed of michael

Big_Kev
04-12-2002, 03:24 PM
You just hit that nail right on the head micheal .

Fisherman02
04-12-2002, 03:42 PM
yeh bloody pro netters
geez that annoys me. Would love to get a figure on how many fish there were roughly before commercial fisherman and netters came along and pulled hundreds out of the water each time.
jack

Lucky_Phill
04-12-2002, 04:10 PM
Commercial fishers have been around for a long time Jack.

The netters ( ring type ) have only been in action for a relatively short time. #As we know, the Mackerel have a "run" like Tailor and Mullet etc. #They come from up Hervey Bay way and decend to our waters via offshore. #Some come from offshore, the data is not conclusive at this stage ( I believe ).

So with the advent of new technologies etc, the ring netters have been decimating stocks, particulary in Hervey Bay, which in turn affects Moreton Bay.

The years 2000 and 2001 saw the nett tonnage of Spotties on the East Coast at 350 - 360 Tonnes. #The year before it was aroung the 180 tonne.

The problem is simple and two fold,

Firstly, there has been a overseas market open up for these species with a premium price being sought, and secondly, the netters know the writing is on the wall, they will be stopped.

Line fishing for Spotties will still take place and is a commercially viable operation.

Let's not forget that we rec fishos have been placing more pressure on the stocks as well,. new technology, faster boats, better communications, more boats etc.

What has to happen immediately, is that, as rec fishos, we become a little smarter and concentrate our fishing effort on , moon phases, tides, seasonal species, major #and minor bite periods, tackle improvements and refinements etc.

Let's also have a deco at the fact that we are in the grips of the worst drought in 100 years, if you believe some reports. #And this DOES directly affect the fishing in the Bay.

So we've got, pollution, drought, pro's, rec's etc , #alll doing their part to bring about the downfall of the Spottie. #Times are tough kid # ;) # ;D

webby
04-12-2002, 05:04 PM
Hi Michael, Try the current lines at the entrance to rous and rainbow.
along the aminty/maroon banks (the feed on whiting along here on the drop offs), or from harrys north to the blue holes. trolling is your best option, but floatlining will also work.
They are not out there like they used to be, but we all know the reason why. But give those places a try, and also give them a few options on bait, or trolled lures, nothing bigger then 5".
As they seem to change their menu every day, when trolling cover bottom/mid and surface, to find out what depth their feeding in.
from now on with this hotter weather, and what evers gets into the bay, should start picking up, but you real have to go searching for them now.
regards

Jeremy
05-12-2002, 04:28 AM
It's a bit early to be blaming the netters for the lack of mackerel isn't it! It has only just turned December. The main run of spotties occurs after Christmas. Some people might thing we're just a bunch of whinging rec fishers with nothing better to complain about.

We all know the facts about mackerel ring netting, and I made sure I put my submission in recently regarding the RIS, and it's true that the drought may be affecting things, but honestly and for goodness sake boys..........

Jeremy

Fisherman02
05-12-2002, 05:26 AM
:'( :'(
shameful
:'( :'(

jack

bugman
05-12-2002, 05:56 AM
Michael,

I was out in the Bay last Thursday week and did manage to land a couple of spotties and lost a few more along the way.

These were individual fish it seemed which hit our baits at varying times. However we did see a few schools boiling away around the place. They were a bit too quick for us though. As soon as you got within casting distance they'd disappear. Sighted them a few times in different locations meaning they were definitely different schools.

Could easily make them out in the clear water.

So I would agree that the mackeral aren't around at the moment in the same proporations as years gone by but they're certainly there. The same could be said about Tailor this year because even on Fraser they we're there in the numbers I've seen previously. Maybe the drought is having an affect on all fishstocks.

I've got no doubt that commercial ring netters are placing a hell of a strain on the stocks. I think we're also going to have to face the facts that a spotty mackeral trip in the bay is not going to yield the 20-40 fish like it use to. 2-8 maybe a great day soon.

In the meantime, like others have, take part in the RIS and write to your local member etc.

It's all got to help somehow. I'll stop preaching now.

Brett

DeeGee
05-12-2002, 11:12 AM
It's a bit early to be blaming the netters for the lack of mackerel isn't it! It has only just turned December. The main run of spotties occurs after Christmas. Some people might thing we're just a bunch of whinging rec fishers with nothing better to complain about.
We all know the facts about mackerel ring netting, and I made sure I put my submission in recently regarding the RIS, and it's true that the drought may be affecting things, but honestly and for goodness sake boys..........

Jeremy

Jeremy, It may be a little early to be blaming the netters for lack of fish this year, but if you had fished for them for the last 10 - 12 years (as I have) you would have noticed a gradual decline until four or five years ago, and a much more rapid decline since then - especially over the last three summers.

I know that chasing schoolies / spotties can be a "hit or miss" proposition. But I can assure you that where it used to be more hit than miss, the last few years it has been the reverse.

I'm also aware that the ring-netters are probably not wholly responsible for the decline, but surely it too much of a coincidence that the most noticeable reduction in numbers has occurred since they began their operations.

Over the same time, I have seen tailor make a comeback from a serious decline in numbers, but the comeback didn't start until fishing on Fraser Is was banned during the breeding season, and improved further when Tailor netting was banned in NSW.

We can only hope that the DPP see the light on Macks befor it is too late.

Cheers DeeGee.