PDA

View Full Version : Meeting with the Minister

Lucky_Phill
27-11-2002, 04:01 PM
Today, Webby, Bugman and I visited the Minister for Primary Industries, Henry Palasczcuk.

We thought we were having a one on one meeting, but there was in attendance his secretary, and 3 Managers from the DPI, QFS, which included Mr Terry Healy, manager of the recently formed, Recreational Fishing Unit.

Our discussion lasted over an hour an a half and centered around the Spottie mackerel issue.

We touched on Tailor, Moreton Bay, Trawling, Netting, Recreational spenditure, Coral Fishery, Fin Fishery, Bag limits and size limits, licences.

We got positive feedback from the Minister and crew about posting information from the QFS on the Ausfish web site chat board.

Mr Palasczcuk was receptive to the idea of stopping ring netting. #Also the closure of commercial Tailor fishing on Fraser Island. #None of this, of course, is about to be implimented, but they were listening.

The Ausfish crew were pushing the case for the protection of Moreton Bay in particular, and it appeared to be getting the nod of agreement from most there. #There was a lot of " Pollie " talk in some areas, with them trying to take the " fence ", saying the whole issue is complex and layered.

Mr Mark Doohan has offered one of us a seat on the Committee of the Fisheries Resources Management.

It appears that Webby will take up the offer.

On the whole, I though it was a positive outcome. The chat was controlled and we did get an invite to come back to see Henry.

We may be able to fill you in more at the Friday Nights Seminar, if you wish.

jaybee
27-11-2002, 04:46 PM
I would like to know more about the newly formed Recreational fishing unit phil,
why, how what and where is it going to pertain to the rec fisher, and is this a way of ousting sunfish, nice of the government to let us know of these new developments. I know they are good at listening like you said but acting is the big thing, go stick it to em webby. Oh BTW did they say if they were going to protect the bay from the rec fisher or the commercial fisher ??? feed back i've been getting is a marine park similar to GBR. but then i suppose it all depends on the EIS for the snapper cages. Can only wait and see, well done.
cheers.

Beggsy
28-11-2002, 05:40 AM
I'm sure Jaybee meant to say this too guys, but bloody well done.

I think it's fantastic that you got them to sit down in the first place. Even better that we'll have someone of Webby's (fine?) character in their faces!!

Again, well done folks!!!!!!!!!

Webby - some free advice - you're probably going to have every man and his dog wanting you to fix his/her issue and getting pissed at you when you can't deliver. Mate, you can't please everyone all the time and, if you try, you'll just get frustrated to the point of giving up (things just don't move that quick in the Government) - just pick a few really important issues and drive 'em home.

mackmauler
28-11-2002, 07:52 AM
Firstly top effort guys ;D

Doesn't really matter what happens next it will be too little too late.

Its very obvious for mine that the recent RIS was the final nail in the coffin for us recs.

To this day the mackerel fishery is stuffed >:(

Was there anything in the white wash other than immanent extinction, that would cause a halt to ring netting.

Ideally allocating the resource for all users not just commercial interest.

Clearly improved rec fishing is not anywhere on the agenda of the Minister, the RIS was a clear message if ever I've seen one.

#

jaybee
28-11-2002, 08:04 AM
I agree with you mack, have a read of this paper released jun 2001

http://www.deacons.com.au/epqld/articles/0601.htm

cheers.

bugman
28-11-2002, 08:41 AM
Their initial response on the spottie mackeral issue was that they would be trying to decrease the commercial catch limit down to around 1996-97 levels.
Secondly that they have taken on concern from rec fishos about the 100kg by-catch limit per day from commercial anglers allowing them to weigh in an extra 100kg a day that doesn't go towards overall quota. I got the feeling this would be decreased.

Secondly there were questions from them like "Would banning netting in Hervey Bay help the situation" "Would splitting the overal quota into regions southern, central, northern etc help - especially if quotas were reduced for heavily fished areas like Moreton Bay etc. Consideration by the Government of these types of ideas is definitely a benefit.

Between you and me and the gatepost they are really listenning to our concerns about the fish farms in moreton bay.

Overall they are not going to ban commercial fishing in areas - nor are they going to introduce rec fishing licenses in the foreseeable future. It's really about pushing them to the limit that they are prepared to go. It's not going to be exactly everything we want as rec fishos - but if we don't have a voice then they can implement laws that will have even worse effects.

Having a voice on some of their management committees is also great but we all have to accept that doesn't neccesarily mean we get everything we want. I'm sure there are commercial interests represented on these committees as well.

It's a good start and I thank Phil and Webby for agreeing to come along. Webby even looked like the crusty fisherman who should be listened to. (No offence mate) ;D

See you on Friday

Bugman

Vern_Veitch
28-11-2002, 10:50 AM
I applaud anyone who takes the initiative to try to put forward their perspective with any politician. My little bit of advice is that I think it would be wise if one of the delegation gave David Bateman a ring on 3880 4261 so he can pass on some relevant background on the issues posted here.
Vern

stevedemon
28-11-2002, 03:08 PM
HI All
Well done guy's and as you all know that the Petition is still to come have Started to recieve them back so I will Get them to our local member A.S.P when I have them all back but as for one of own Rec Fish on the Committee it is a start and that it may just help in every way so lets not think negitive and a big round of aplause for all concerned

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve :P

Wesley_Pang
28-11-2002, 03:26 PM
Thanks for your efforts guys.

We need our voice to be heard. The Pro lobby is very strong and vocal.

Wes

chrisjon65
28-11-2002, 03:54 PM
>:(our nsw fisheries boss is currently at the ICAC hearings well done and its good to know the thoughts of nsw fisherman are in good hands
yeah ha ha ha

webby
28-11-2002, 04:57 PM
Hi All.
Firstly thanks to Brett for organizing the meeting.
Secondly Phil covered most of the subjects we discussed, I mainly voiced my opinions on the eventually destruction of the greater moreton bay, mainly enforcing that if something is not done soon on the breeding habitats of some of the bay reef species and of course mackeral, 5 years down the track, moreton bay will only be useful for sailing.
They did bring up that there has been a decline in the number of anglers using the bay, We politely reforced the reason why.
Henry did asked what we though of banning all tailor netting on Fraser and possibly straddy, and only allowing mullet netting, our eyes did light up. but i wouldnt hold your breath.
I think the meeting was a great success and at least a starting point, we have only successfully put the key in the door, we are yet to open it.
as regard to all this congrat" stuff, hold your horses fellas, nothing is positive yet, but the offer was there so we accepted, not as a solitary base, but for all rec/angler, and if we are successful in having a rec/angler on the committee, feed back from all rec's will be the driving force.
They also offered a position on the crabbing committee, so if anyone is interested, let us know.
But as i stated earlier, a big thanks to Brett for setting the meeting up.
At the moment where like a baby starting to crawl, so its a long road ahead.
regards

jaybee
28-11-2002, 05:08 PM
Brett
Between you and me and the gatepost they are really listenning to our concerns about the fish farms in moreton bay if they are listening brett then why havent they put their name forward here. See how many labor members and opposition members you can find that have voiced an opionion. http://www.qccqld.org.au/savethebay/

Mr Beatties words
nothing will be done until the final outcome of the EIS wonder what he means by that eh.

cheers.

Lucky_Phill
29-11-2002, 01:05 PM
Maybe JB, that every minister concerned in any area that was an ' issue' and they had to reply / respond to every group that formed and didn't do it at the drop of a hat, we would have ministers running around making silly statements, disinformation etc, there has to be a process and in that course of process, they find themsleves taking time to make informed decissions and statements, so be it.

Rome wasn't built in a day and people were not consulted, they just built it.

Wether they fence sit or are pandering to commercial interests or political interests, really aren't my bag.

Let's remember they are accountable in some way for what they do and say, unlike ourselves.

I'm waiting and watching.......... ::)

jaybee
29-11-2002, 01:23 PM
Hi Phil ;D
Lucky Phil
Let's remember they are accountable in some way for what they do and say, unlike ourselves Phil i am in a job where everyone is accountable, no ifs, buts, maybe. It is the same with our lives, we either are given or investigate so we glean enough information so we can weigh up our options and possible outcomes so we can then make an informed choice, from here the individual is wholly responsible for that decision and the consequences. When have you heard or seen a pollie stand up and say I was responsible I am accountable for this outcome or consequence. they always find a scapegoat by passing the buck. Try breaking the law and saying to the magistrate, gee i think i was accountable in some way! As you know i have become very cynical of this government and they have a proven track record of leaning towards the buck, and looking at the consequences later rather then sooner, its up to the individual pollie to make a decsion that decides and outcome, but hey why make decisions when you can go with the flow and still get paid, then pass the buck when the S*** hits the fan. but thats my two bobs worth my own personal opinion from personal experience.

Lucky_Phill
29-11-2002, 02:23 PM
you're probably on the right track there JB, but let's not forget Ministers make decisions based on advise from the beaurocrats who are in place, no matter what government are in power.

What agenda these 'cats' follow is based on how they want to climb the tree or what they can take from the " system ".

" Yes Minister " comes to mind ;D ??? ::)

I've always said let the likes of Rupert Murdoch, run the country, but that ain't gonna happen.

jaybee
29-11-2002, 02:48 PM
I've always said let the likes of Rupert Murdoch, run the country, but that ain't gonna happen sad but true phil the likes of murdoch and co have been running this country for 20 yrs now, money talks, bullshit walks so to speak. I know it hasnt anything to do with fishing, but why is it your cable tv, internet and phone provider can change a contract in mid stream without advising you, except to say your next bill will now be more, but if we say we arent going to pay, they have the right to take us to court. So much for an egalitarian society.

Vern_Veitch
05-12-2002, 05:17 PM
Am I going blind or has QFS so far failed to keep their promise to put relevant news on this chat page. There are at least 2 media releases in the last 2 days that would be relevant here. Hmmm.
Vern

webby
05-12-2002, 05:33 PM
Hi Vern, Regarding the posting of info on this site, i spoke to them this week, the answer they gave me was that it has to be approved by the communication dept, as to the format in posting info.
Which i though was a fairly poor excuse, but you know what Govt depts are like in trying to push things through. Will phone again next week to see if they give me a different answer.
I was also inquiring regarding the Macs vacancy, and again was given a long winded explanation, about the procedure in filling this vacancy, will again communicate with them next weeks and see how thing are progressing.
will kept all informed
regards

jaybee
05-12-2002, 06:03 PM
My turn If you all remember wombat and i put the same proposition to the government, when we had our meeting back in June, the reply was mr Beattie and henry cause i cant spell his last name are computer illiterate, and that was their words, so who is having a go a who here. We were also told back then a marine park similar to the GBR was on the cards, forcing both commercial and recs out of certain areas in moreton bay, which will leave us like eskimos fishing around the same hole in the ice, so who is lying to who. We both put posts up regarding this matter and we were both howled down. so it appears too little too late. Now Lucky phil and vern both helped here, and the reply was, will they remember you, when things go wrong because they certainly will, i put on this board about the impending lower bag limits and increased sizes, but no one was interested, I stated back then it was going to be a in possession limit, not per person limit. Well I have been there and done that, and got no thanks, now its webbys turn to take the flak, wish you the best of luck webby because after the shit i and wombat took over this, I pity you, as I now beleive the government will use you as a scapgoat, so all recs and commercial will have someone to blame, but thats my personal opionion.

bugman
06-12-2002, 05:08 AM
Sorry JB,

I can't see how Webby can be seen as a scapegoat for anything. If anything he should be congratulated just like I congratulated you when you made the effort to broach the subject with those in power. Maybe he doesn't achieve anything - well at least he's tried - just like you did.
Webby and you are not reponsible for any bad outcomes re recreational fishing - it's the Government.
Anyone that criticises another person for getting up of their arse and having a go is a waste of oxygen on this planet.
If all 2000 members on this site went to see the minister or QFS things maybe different.
If things don't improve via Webby's input then maybe it will with the next fisho or the next.
Motto here - Never give up and appluad those that don't.
Brett

jaybee
06-12-2002, 05:30 AM
Hi Brett
I have congratulated webby, but I really feel he is going to get the run around from this mob. And it is going to cost him a lot of time, effort and probably money, however it is webbys choice. Sorry if i seem a little disappointed, i am, but not with webby, our current government. No i'm not a little disappointed i am lot disappointed. Seems if it wont cost money the Government will lean toward that way, if it will cost money and they get a good report from the media they will lean that way. Thing is how honest are they going to be with webby, will they only let him hear want they want him to. you know dont let the left hand know what the right hand is doing. Guess you could say i am being cynical. But that is how I feel about the current Government. Time will tell I guess. Hang in there webby, if anything I will be behind you in spirit. :)
cheers.