PDA

View Full Version : The state of the boat ramps in Brissy

rwells9999
04-12-2002, 03:47 AM
With the ever increasing number of people takeing to the water and with the increased revenue the department of Transport reeps in, I DON'T see any improvments or upgrades being done. Classic example is Raby Bay. That facility works at 110% at the weekends, Wellington Pt. is a joke at the best of times, Redland bay has had a car park upgrade due to the Island residents parking. Why do I feel that we are being ripped of again.
Robin
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm36.gif

bazz
04-12-2002, 05:11 AM
I have just finished reading a residents report by the Redlands Council and there is a three finger pontoon for ferry operations to be built in Weinam Creek how that will affect the existing boat ramp I don't know.But I have heard that there are major changes planned for that area.

bazz
04-12-2002, 05:13 AM
I have just finished reading a residents report by the Redlands Council and there is a three finger pontoon for ferry operations to be built in Weinam Creek how that will affect the existing boat ramp I don't know.But I have heard that there are major changes planned for that area.

jaybee
04-12-2002, 05:32 AM
I just read recently on the net that the port of brisbane is to upgrade whyte island ramp, with extra security, improvement to the ramp, sand bought in on the south side of the ramp and a board walk to link up withe the existing one, fish cleaning tables and bbqs, there was a plan on the net but have been unable to find it to put a link up. wonder what the port gets in exchange? Most of the ramps around brisbane could do with a bit more sand though.
cheers.

sharkbait
04-12-2002, 01:04 PM
whats wrong with the wello ramp - we havent had any probs there (admittedly only with a small boat) but the ramp is wide and not slippery and the channel is well marked. If you are launching at raby bay try going a little further out past the straddie ferry dock - there is a pretty good ramp there that doesnt get too crowded and is an all tide proposition. One excellent ramp a lot of you guys have probably used as well is the one next to the gold coast highway bridge over the nerang/broadwater at southport - it has a floating plastic pontoon between the two middle lanes which makes launching and retrieving a breeze, even on your own.

clutter
04-12-2002, 01:06 PM
I think something has to be done about security at ramps as well as their general condition. Last weekend a painter from work went crabbing in the Logan River and was fumeing that he had two pots stolen, even when checking them every 20 to 30 minutes. That was forgotten when he got back to the ramp to find his trailer had been stolen. Lock had been cut with bolt cutters. What are you supposed to do?

Clutter.

craigie
04-12-2002, 01:16 PM
Jeez that's good news about the Whyte Island/Fisherman's Island Ramp being re-vamped. I use that one quite a lot although the security Issue has always concerned me. I cringe to myself every time I drive off in the Boat and leave the Car and Trailer sitting out in the middle of nowhere. Been told plenty of reliable stories of 'Stolen Wheels' and Trailers from that Ramp.
Thieving Pr*%ks should have their hands cut off like in some North African/Middle East countries.

Cheers
Craig.

Vern_Veitch
04-12-2002, 05:58 PM
Lucky you live in the SE corner. Up in the boondocks known as Townsville, our only ramp that can launch a boat over about 5 metres in all tidesand weather has a total of 84 parking areas for 8400 boats sitting on trailers. To make matter worse, it is beside the Magnetic Island Ferry Terminal and often a dozen or more parks are taken up by cars without trailers. You can imagine the mayhem on a good weather day. Get there before 6 AM or go home.
The problem was recognised 15 years ago when boat regos were half and we had 4 times the parking area since taken up by "development".
The buck passing on this issue is nothing short of amazing but in general rec fishers have only themselves to blame as most will not get off their collective bums to let the pollies know that it should be an election issue.
Vern

dazza
05-12-2002, 01:32 PM
Does a portion of our boat rego go into facility upkeep and provision of new facilities?
If so what is going on?
Cheers
Dazza

fishsmith
06-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Whilst I beleive that we should always alway's keep a depate going, to negotiate the upgrading of public facilities, such as boat ramps in order to keep the topic on the agenda of the government at all times. Congratulations must go to the Queensland government/Authorities for the existing facilities available to us boaties.
Coming from SA and arriving in Queensland in 2001 one of the things that I found as a positive standout was the excellent quality of the facilities and the fact that you didn't have to pay for a launching/parking fee etc.
Back in South Oz most metropolitin ramps would set you back $4.oo for the pleasure of launching your boat. And yes, we still also pay for the provision of those facilities through boat rego's/levi'es etc.

As far as problems with security around the carparks at boat ramps goes, its as much as a problem down there as it is up here.
I've had my car broken into and trailer wiring slashed by the brainless wankers. This will always be a problem because they are a soft target area's for these gutless so and so's.
I do beleive we need to lobby the government to provide more policing. Most of the high risk ramps are in the more isolated area's. Usually they only have one access road in and out. While they are ideal for the gutless theif to plunder and have some fun at our expence,they would also make a good ambush area for the policing authorities to bust their balls. :o :o In the meantime we the boaties need to look after each other and keep a proactive eye on others property and suspicious persons around these areas alike.

Cheers Smithy........