PDA

View Full Version : what is the biggest jack anyone has caught?

angelena
01-12-2002, 05:17 AM
Last night I caught my first ever mangrove jack, which i'll post photos of later. It measured 48cm and weighed 4 & 1/2 lb not huge but it will be nice for lunch. The best part is that I christened my other halfs new abu combo with it. ;D :) ;D

BOMBER
01-12-2002, 05:25 AM
Hi Angelena,

The largest I have caught is 48cm's but my daughter landed a 50 cm here on Bribie last year both fish were released to fight again another day.

Regards,

THE BOMBER

swano
01-12-2002, 05:36 AM
with a topic like this your certain to berly up yourself a brett finger or two ;D ;D ;D ;D

seqfisho
01-12-2002, 06:37 AM
Hi Angelena,

Well done on a nice fish, lets see them pics too.

Hey if you keep on outfishing the the other half be careful that he doesnt stop taking you ;D ;D ;D

Was it on bait or lure?

Glen

Eat Sleep FISH!!!!!!!!!!

Heath
01-12-2002, 08:41 AM
My biggest so far, is 63cm & weighed in at 4.5 kg.

He tasted great too ;)

angelena
01-12-2002, 09:36 AM
I caught it on a live mullet. As for the photo my camera is on the blink but when it goes in the paper I'll post the photo.

webby
01-12-2002, 04:32 PM
Some of you may have already seen this pic, but hows this for a Jack, mate of mine Mike wilkinson, who i fish offshore with, caught this sucker off Moreton (14.5kg), makes some of the ones i've caught look like a herring.
Imagine one of these in the estuaries.

aquarius
01-12-2002, 04:38 PM
g'day
heck, thats one hell of a big fish!
How big was the live bait ???
Bloody marlin or something?
Did he taste as good as the small ones or did the chemicals that mutated him make him taste, well chemically-eeeee
anyways Brian thats one hell of a big fish.
cheers jack
errrrr i mean brent :D

banshee
02-12-2002, 12:14 PM
I was going to brag about my 8 pounder...........think I'll just keep quiet.

Dr_Dan
02-12-2002, 02:29 PM
:o That's not a jack! That's a very sunburnt Black Bass. Seeing that photo has really got me exited about the prospects of catching similar fish in Tinaroo in a while. They are already catching legal jack up there, and it emphasises my point that you will soon have to be fishing with Penns and TLD's just so you can retain some tackle. Imagine hooking onto that brute amoungst the submerged timber!!!!! :o

CAN'T WAIT ;D

jack_attack
02-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Bugger Tinaroo, get them in Somerset. You fellas have got the barra, we at leaast deserve a few jacks. Damn nice fish. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm32.gif

Jack_Lives_Here
03-12-2002, 04:57 AM
48cm is a good fish Angelena. Well done. ;)
Best to date is spot on 50cm and 2.4kg - and all from a very local Brissy waterway. ;D I have hooked and lost them in the 60cm class - too good for me.

Webby - that's a bloody horse of a jack. I reckon your mate would have arms an inch longer after that. Are they prone to the cigeratera like the red bass, chinaman etc. when they get that big ??? ???

Fishing_Jim
03-12-2002, 01:26 PM
Caught my very first Jack last XMAS up in Captain Cook Creek (Town of 1770), measured 54 cm, though didn't have anything to weigh it.

Lost quite a few that day, the fish were very close to the snags.

Used live whiting as bait.

Tasted absolutely delicious. Caught a few more in a creek that's in the National Park near there (is it Deepwater?), though none as big as the first.

Was a great trip. Highly recommend 1770, get there just before Chrissy to beat the crowds.

Jim

webby
03-12-2002, 03:05 PM
Hi, No Mike reckons it was all rite, he's still alive so must have been ;D.
He has the jaws mounted on the wall at home, you can put your fist through with out touching the teeth and i mean teeth (would do a white pointer proud). Dont know if he's arms are any longer, but i know he just about had a coronery (heart attack) getting it to the boat.
regards

clutter
03-12-2002, 04:10 PM
Have seen the jaws myself and they are awsome. If I remember correctly, Mick caught the fish while in a fishing comp. and didn't get anything for it. No best "Other" species I think. Made his own trophy with the jaws.
Clutter.

swano
04-12-2002, 02:09 AM
HMMMM STILL NO NIBBLES FROM B/F ;D ;D ;D

Randall
04-12-2002, 05:11 AM
The BF had some frames left in his freezer a while back.

He reckons they were reef jack and measured in at 75cm!!!!

Thats confirmed!! I saw em. He still had the jaws and teeth as a trophy!!

75cm Jack in impoundments? Umm, I`d like to see that!!

Randall.

Silver_RX
04-12-2002, 09:54 AM
That thing is a monster. I wonder how long it took for it to grow that big. Bet that was a fight and a half.

Brett_Finger
04-12-2002, 11:58 AM
Yes i'm here,
jack are my best mates,i think the world of them... :P
have, in my non- enlightned days taken Jack from the reef as well as the esturine systems, :-[ :-[

these are our breeding stock (reef Jacks) ,i was fortunate to work with Northen fisheries,(fisheries research) on a jack study programe,research revales that a leagle Jack (35cm) is around 8 years old. :o :o :o

with this Sloooooooow grouth rate as a benchmark for me,i decided NEVER to take another Jack again..

i fish for jacks with my charters,sometimes 4 days a week,but never take them....

i need to sustain the fisherie for my business as well as the species...
my choice..

and yes jacks are some of the finest tasting fish you will ever eat... ;D
Hookin,Brett :)

gruntahunter
04-12-2002, 03:08 PM
Okok guys I have just received my sof plastics in the mail so all this info about Jacks is about to change. I'm about to launch an attack on them for the next 5 weeks and anticipate that the record will fall early the piece with these new weapons I have now.
I have never actually targeted them b4 but fluked one that couldn't resist a live poddy mullet one night so the plastics haven't got much to beat. 8)

scroman
04-12-2002, 04:22 PM
Webby's photo of a 14kg jack is nothing short of sensational as a specimum. I fished a few live trout boats of bowen, townsville and port douglas and would regularly find (in season) jacks of around 8 - 11kg while looking for trout. The point is, we fished handlines of 50lb mono - you can pull up the plug with that stuff - maybe the question should be "what is the best jack on the lightest gear?"
Scroman

jack_attack
04-12-2002, 05:32 PM
LOL, I would consider 50lb mono light tackle for a jack like that.

Rowdy
05-12-2002, 03:08 AM
My best is 55cm caught on 6lb fireline.

Hell of a fish, almost 1 year on and I'm still talking about it.

A 14 kilo jack is a damn scary fish.

Craig

Smithy
06-12-2002, 07:02 PM
Now we are talking my language, biggest fish on the lightest line. Got a 76cm Reef Jack at Sandy Cape on 8kg mono. Went bloody hard but it was up in the water column with burley and the change of the tide. Still a long way short of the ANSA records. Try 8.5kg on 6kg line and 6.8kg on 8kg line. Both of these along with mine were caught on Summer Bay out of Hervey Bay. The two fish mentioned above were caught on the same night.