PDA

View Full Version : surfs up

chrisjon65
06-12-2002, 04:30 PM
ive done a bit of beach fishing and frankly i found it to be the greatest thing ever so to the question
ive done a lot of reading and they all say look for the gutters well im curious i fished the 7 mile beach and noticed that the waves break 3-4 times before they reach shore is the gutters behind or in front of the sets cause when there is 3 sets at once it got challenging but i still caught heaps of dart any help would be great and ive noticed most beaches in southern NSW have this feature
:) :)

sharkbait
06-12-2002, 05:37 PM
It depends on the swell - if the waves are breaking 3 to 4 times before hitting the beach you must have fairly decent sized waves. In my experience surfing and fishing the beach, waves breaking and then reforming usually signify deeper water in close followed by a sandbank. In other words the waves build up out the back, break briefly on the outer bank and then reform as they hit the gutter in front of the bank because the water is too deep to keep the break going. as the wave moves over the gutter and on to the shallow water near the beach it will break again. On a beach which experiences large surf and windy conditions its not unusual for this reforming process to happen a couple of times as the waves cross several sandbanks. To pick the gutter or deeper water I look for the spot where the wave starts to reform - when the white water of the wave starts to clear up into a green, unbroken wall again. This can be the prime spot to drown a bait as the waves are constantly eroding the edge of the bank - scattering worms and pipis etc. You would expect the deep water to be from there in towards the spot where the waves start to break again on the beach.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
07-12-2002, 03:45 AM
and don't ignore the shorebreak for the smaller species (dart & whiting) - they often just sit in behind the dump.

I had the intense pleasure a few years back of watching Martin Cowling (a club champ in these parts & bloody nice bloke) absolutley braining the whiting #& his opposition in the surf. He was barely rolling his arm over to cast just in behind the shore dump. He was getting 2 fish a cast - the other blokes who were trying to cast to the outside bank were virtually fishless. I learnt a lot by watching him & his technique. When you think about it the most erosion happens at the shoreline.

seeyainthesurf,
chris

Jason_L
07-12-2002, 05:56 PM
gt yourself a good pair of sunnies. perferably with a photochromatic lense. it's a gold coloured lense.. you'll spot the gutters and sand banks no troubles.

lil note though. maybe get a cord so your sunnies don't decide to swim with the fishies. sunnies don't swim, they are just like the titanic.

chrisjon65
08-12-2002, 12:47 PM
:)thanks for the suggestions theyll help heaps