PDA

View Full Version : help needed

myexplorer
08-12-2002, 06:02 AM
last night i got a feed of muddies which i want to keep for christmas day as i wont be able to get out again before the then. whats the best way to keep them, freeze them green or cooked. thanks in advance jason

CHRIS_aka_GWH
08-12-2002, 07:08 AM
definitely cook first or the fleash goes to mush. For best results freezing after cooking divide the crab & clean the crap out but don't take the flesh out then freeze parts in a brine. If you clean out the flesh & then freeze seperately it will dry out, freezing does this to any flesh.

Personally, eat em fresh the memories will last till Xmas.

chris

myexplorer
08-12-2002, 07:13 AM
thanks chris have thought about eating them but iam promised the biggest prezzie under the tree if i come up with the goods.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
08-12-2002, 07:45 AM
that damn santa should stick to his milk & fruit cake & leave a fisherman to his catch eh jason.

chris

Mad_Barry
08-12-2002, 08:27 AM
It's difficult to get a crab back up to "good as new" after freezing, whether they've been frozen green or cooked. one good method I've used is to drop them into the pot, like you're going to cook 'em. But only leave them in for 2 or 3 min. This "seals" the meat inside. Freeze them like this.

When you want to eat 'em,pull em out of the freezer the day before & leave in the fridge & next day cook them up as per a normal "green" crab.

It is a bit more stuffing around, but worth it.

Unfortunately, I don't get to freeze many crabs, >:( for the temptation of fresh muddies is a difficult one to over come :D

myexplorer
09-12-2002, 04:06 PM
thanks to all that replied the temptation was to great stuff the inlaws fresh muddies it is for dinner

Jason_L
09-12-2002, 05:13 PM
build an aquarium, throw the muddies in there and keep them alive until x-mass.

just a thought. hehehe.
but nothing beats fresh muddies, hope you enjoyed dinner.