PDA

View Full Version : NSW Fishing licence funds Licence

nsw_fisheries
10-12-2002, 03:46 AM
http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/newsroom/latest/fb_02dec06_better.htm

"This document has been posted for information and to encourage discussion among yourselves. For more information from NSW Fisheries on the issue, please visit our web site on www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au"

jaybee
10-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Now this I like, when is the qld government going to get their act together. At least NSW, talk to the rec fishers and listen.

The Minister for Fisheries, Eddie Obeid today announced $1.3 million of funds from the NSW fishing licence will be used for projects which benefit anglers, statewide.

Mr Obeid said anglers had approved $351,000 to create a mobile squad of three NSW Fisheries inspectors to target serious breaches of fishing laws.

Gazza
10-12-2002, 04:37 PM
Now this I like, . At least NSW, talk to the rec fishers and listen.

Jaybee , Mate your jok'n right?? http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm20.gif

I just can't wait for the NSW RecFishos to 'proudly' announce they just bought a Fisheries Patrol boat as well.......

The rest of Fisheries ( in NSW) must be just checking on Abolone poachers ,I s'pose http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm13.gif

Fisheries 'RFL hollow log' to replace 'previous' budgetary allocations......shame,shame,shame

Regards
Gazza

jaybee
10-12-2002, 04:46 PM
hey gazza i am touch with a lot of rec fishers, who live in bruns and they are rapped, they all say it should have happened ten years ago. Might be different where you live. But the feedback i get it should be happening up here
cheers.

Vern_Veitch
10-12-2002, 05:20 PM
JB & others,
The Queensland Government has been taking an extra $12 per boat for yonks. This was supposedly for recreational fishing initiatives including commercial licence buy backs. In the past, about 5% of the total went to Sunfish to help represent rec fishers in management and run angler education. This year we got nothing and the program that we ran have stopped. Who is running angler education and who are on the MAC's?
ANd how much of that $12 million+ has been spent on buying out commercial licences?
What makes anyone think that the Queenslnad Government will "manage" the fees from a recreational fishing licence any differently? Does a leopard change its spots?
When I see it guaranteed in writing with Mr Beattie's signature on it then I might believe it. Till then, no thanks.
Vern

Gazza
10-12-2002, 05:28 PM
hey gazza i am touch with a lot of rec fishers, who live in bruns and they are rapped, they all say it should have happened ten years ago. Might be different where you live. But the feedback i get it should be happening up here
cheers.

JB , no community would reject more policing,schools,hospitals.....that's a given ,o.k.?

To 'require' certain groups to 'pay' extra for those 'community' benefits.....or they don't get them.....

is wrong,wrong,wrong

Note the 'media release' said 'serious' breaches only ,and that's abolone, and I reasonably thought the recent announcement by Beattie was in fact something that the NSWRFL 'trust' couldn't afford to do:-
(a) financially
(b) legal defend their good intentions anyways ,and if required compensation.

You should also be aware (in NSW) ~400 pro's wished to be voluntarily bought out ,only ~200 were successful at a ~$17M cost to 'RecFishos' , why not buyout ~400 if the RecFishos are listened to?

p.s. there ain't any "involuntary" buyouts occurring that was 'promised' as part of the 'trust' objectives....

QLD is streets ahead.

Regards
Gazza

jaybee
11-12-2002, 06:26 AM
Hi Vern
if the $12 ppv were dropped i personally would like to see a license introduced but not handled by the government. but by a body that can be held financially responsible.

Hi Gazza, I can only say what i have heard from the locals in Bruns, and they in turn are in touch with people further south, domino effect. I personally beleive from feedback the rest of the commercial guys will be bought out eventually can only do so much each year i guess. Plus I am aware that some of the 400 commercial guys also opted for retraining to find employment in another field. Don't know the figures though. But I don't think it would be the balance.

They are saying reef fish are slowly returning to the closer reefs down south, and the quality of the bread and butter species is slowly but surely increasing as time goes by. Its the future we need to be concerned about. Tourist dollars keep Bruns alive, and with our new in possession limits i believe we will now see tourist dollars heading south, but thats my personal opinion.
cheers.

Gazza
11-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Hi Vern
if the $12 ppv were dropped i personally would like to see a license introduced but not handled by the government. but by a body that can be held financially responsible.

Hi Gazza, I can only say what i have heard from the locals in Bruns, and they in turn are in touch with people further south, domino effect. I personally beleive from feedback the rest of the commercial guys will be bought out eventually can only do so much each year i guess. Plus I am aware that some of the 400 commercial guys also opted for retraining to find employment in another field. Don't know the figures though. But I don't think it would be the balance.

They are saying reef fish are slowly returning to the closer reefs down south, and the quality of the bread and butter species is slowly but surely increasing as time goes by. #Its the future we need to be concerned about. Tourist dollars keep Bruns alive, and with our new in possession limits i believe we will now see tourist dollars heading south, but thats my personal opinion.
cheers.

Hi JB ,...rule 1....we(Qld'ers) are all on the same side of the boat (and border) ,and the fishies are on the other side... :D

Mate , $12 for Rec Boat owners /yr. , with 'multiple persons' allowed is fine by me.......not 'individual' RFL's !!!....ever
i.e. I hop in your boat ,is it registered?...yes.... no problemo , we're legal. 8)
i.e. never fished before?...no problemo ,boats rego'd.......we're legal. 8)

why?.......$12 labels the 'boat' as recreational ,and 'unable' to SELL fish legally......shore-based?? ,no charge ,enjoy your fishing 8)

SUNFISH ,not funded this year......why?? (I dunno) >:( ,they bat for RecFishing ??? ,as best they can !! :o

Mate , NSW Fisheries have 'many' unfilled positions ,for their own 'budgetted' requirements....o.k.??

How repeat HOW?? ,can you or 'they' justify 3 'more' at a DIRECT cost to the RFL trust ,when they aren't at full capacity...past/present/future??

Manipulation of a 'RFL hollow log'......that's HOW !! >:( >:( >:(

Mate...think it through......it's NOT the $$$$ ,and is in fact ensuring 'limited' funds are available via a 'RFL trust', instead of using Consolidated Revenue i.e. where 'fines' are ALWAYS paid, and 100~1000 times more than any RFL can ever access , in relation to the NSW/VIC models....

p.s. UNSPENT 'fisheries positions' aren't credited to the RFL trust are they???......no.......
But NSW just got $350K from RecFishos (amongst other expenditure) for 'positions' they can't presently fill ::)

Regards
Gazza

Vern_Veitch
11-12-2002, 11:44 AM
I have been watching the management of licence funds in other states with interest. Quite amazing that assitional officers can be found when the RFL is paying but positions remain vacant (in NSW) when it must come from internal revenue.
Vern