PDA

View Full Version : WE DID IT!!!

Heath
06-12-2002, 01:58 PM
Congratulations everyone.

We have been part of some pretty major changes to the way our fishery is run.

Here is the press release........

Premier & Trade

The Hon. Peter Beattie MP

5 December 2002

Netting bans will help Queensland stay hooked on fish

Future Queenslanders will have a better chance of savouring some of the State's favourite fish, following a decision to ban commercial netting of spotted mackerel.

Premier Peter Beattie announced the action today, saying it was in line with strong community feedback about proposals to reform the management of the marine fishery.

He told State Parliament the public response to proposals released in September showed many Queenslanders cared deeply about the fishery's future.

Mr Beattie said the Government received more than 1570 submissions responding to a regulatory impact statement on the general marine fishery, which was released in September.

"In some areas, the terrific response has prompted the Government to go further with reforms that we originally proposed.

"For instance, 1124 respondents disagreed with the use of ring nets to target spotted mackerel - compared to 150 who agreed with ring netting for spotted mackerel. (Ring netting is a highly efficient technique, where a school of fish is literally surrounded by a ring of nets.)

"While 95 supporters of ring netting were commercial fishers, 96 of the respondents opposed to ring netting were also commercial fishers.

"With this feedback in mind, we will ban all netting for spotted mackerel, including the ring netting method, making it a line-only fishery.

"We will also cap the commercial spotted mackerel harvest at 140 tonnes per year for targeted catches, with a commercial in possession limit of 150 fish.

"We will reduce the spotted mackerel bag limit for recreational fishers from 30 to five, and raise the minimum size limit from 50cm to 60cm. This is what we proposed in the regulatory impact statement.

"These actions will help ensure a healthy future for our fishery."

The reforms are subject to the approval of Executive Council.

The commercial haul of spotted mackerel has increased dramatically in recent years from about 130 to 150 tonnes during the 1990s to more than 400 tonnes in 2000. The annual recreational catch is estimated at more than 150 tonnes.

Mr Beattie said spotted mackerel spawn in north Queensland waters between August and October and then migrate south.

"We must ensure spotted mackerel can migrate, so fishers in Hervey Bay and further south don't miss out," Mr Beattie said.

Primary Industries Minister Henry Palaszczuk said: "In terms of the other prized species, such as flathead, snapper, pearl perch, teraglin jew the majority of proposed reforms, including a common bag limit of five for each species, will be implemented.

"However, the Government has agreed that the maximum size limit to be introduced for flathead should be 70cm, rather than the 60cm proposed."

A Summary of new fish management arrangements follows.

Spotted mackerel:
* reduce the bag limit from 30 to five for recreational fishers;
* increase the minimum size limit from 50cm to 60cm;
* prohibit the catch of spotted mackerel with nets;
* introduce an annual commercial catch quota of 140 tonnes for target catches of spotted mackerel; &
* introduce a commercial "take and possession limit" of 150 fish and an allowance for incidental catches of 15 fish, which is not counted towards the annual commercial quota.

Flathead:
* introduce a new bag limit of five;
* increase the minimum size limit from 30cm to 40cm; and
* introduce a maximum size limit of 70cm.

Snapper:
* increase the minimum size limit from 30cm to 35cm;
* reduce the bag limit from 30 to five for recreational fishers.

Pearl perch:
* increase the minimum size limit from 30cm to 35cm;
* reduce the bag limit from 10 to five for recreational fishers.

Teraglin jew:
* reduce the bag limit from 10 to five for recreational fishers.

Mr Palaszczuk said: "The Government prides itself on the sustainable management of our fisheries.

"Over the last four-and-a-half years, we have introduced wide-ranging reforms to alleviate pressure on fish stocks and protect Queensland's reputation as an angler's paradise and quality seafood producer.

"More than 800,000 Queenslanders fish at least once each year. Queensland's wild-caught fishery has a gross value of more than $300 million per annum and supports local families, businesses and communities striving to supply markets across Australia and overseas.

"We are committed to the best possible management of our fish stocks for future generations."

"If we did not do these things - and some of these changes will be criticised - then we would be jeopardising fishing in the future."

Mr Palaszczuk said he would detail further fisheries reforms, as proposed in the general marine and freshwater fisheries regulatory impact statements, once they had been finalized. All fisheries reforms will be implemented by Christmas.

Kirby Anderson (Minister's office) 3239 3000
Fiona Kennedy (Premier's office) 3224 4500

Wesley_Pang
06-12-2002, 02:09 PM
Heath,

Do you have the URL(address) for press release?

I'm glad my RIS response was noted. 800,000 recs and only 1200 responses

I hope this is only the beginning.

Wes

swano
06-12-2002, 02:10 PM
good stuff ay heath ;D ;D 800,000 queenslanders plus how many of us southeners ?? 300 million bucks should make em change things to. a great result for the future of rec fishing and tourism in general ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Heath
06-12-2002, 02:15 PM
Heath,

Do you have the URL(address) for press release?

I'm glad my RIS response was noted. 800,000 recs and only 1200 responses

I hope this is only the beginning.

Wes

Here it is

http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/cgi-bin/display-statement.pl?id=10035&db=media

jack_attack
06-12-2002, 03:32 PM
It is the best news I have heard about fishing in QLD for a long time. Let's hope they keep trend going.

Lucky_Phill
06-12-2002, 04:53 PM
This is all very good folks and congrats to all.

Let's include the QFS, Minister and Premier and their colleagues for actually taking notice of the majority.

When you consider the number of people that fish and the number of responses from RIS's, it actually sounds like the folks that really care are in the minority, but we know that ain't true.

I thought the 300 mill was a little short of the figure, I'd like to do some sums on that one.

It syas that for every fisho, they spend $375 per year on fishing.

Shoot ! I like that or I'd like to spend that little. But, as we know, that was taking into account the folks that do this once a year, but even then, they'd spend 100 bucks on tackle, 20 on bait, 3 on ice, 30 on car fuel, 25 on lunch and 5 on sunscreen and 5 on insect reppellent.

The list just goes on.........I'd like to think the figure was closer to 500 plus mill, and add in the whole box and dice and don't be suprized if that figure topped 1 billion.

8) I'm now opening that XXXX and toasting you'all ;D ;) ???

Vern_Veitch
06-12-2002, 04:54 PM
I agree although there is concern that displaced ring netters will now shift their effort to snapper, flathead, pearl perch and teraglin among other fish. Without restricted catches on these species, there is nothing stopping a transfer of effort. Remember, there have been no licences bought out.
Vern

seqfisho
06-12-2002, 05:10 PM
Great news, and a good result for the silent majority. ;D ;D ;D

Interesting to see an equal number of pro's against ring netting as for it ??? ??? ???

Dont worry to much about the other species, just one small step at a time is fine so long as it is in the right direction.

Plus the point was reinforced in Picture Pete's statment about the effect on the rec fishery and general public fisherpersons

Future Queenslanders will have a better chance of savouring some of the State's favourite fish, following a decision to ban commercial netting of spotted mackerel.

Premier Peter Beattie announced the action today, saying it was in line with strong community feedback about proposals to reform the management of the marine fishery.

"He told State Parliament the public response to proposals released in September showed many Queenslanders cared deeply about the fishery's future. "

Good on ya picture Pete

One small step for a poly, one giant leap for rec fisho's

Glen

Eat Sleep FISH!!!!!!

Smithy
06-12-2002, 06:05 PM
Good news Heath. Just caught the end of it on the news and didn't get the full jist of it. Press release is easy to follow which is unusual for a government document. Looks like the RIS went through as it was written except for the Spotty questions. Lets hope an increase in the Spotty population will have an impact on the Grinner explosion. That is one theory I have heard. Could be a correlation in the collapse in the Spotty fishery with an increase in the number of Grinners. We have been catching them in amongst Red Emporer and Snapper over wire weed country. Once upon a time they were only on sand.

imported_admin
06-12-2002, 07:24 PM
Good news, a step in the right direction, lets just hope the government keeps taking these sort of steps with all species.

There is just one little bit in the press release that concerns me.

"We will also cap the commercial spotted mackerel harvest at 140 tonnes per year for targeted catches, with a commercial in possession limit of 150 fish."

Would need to find out a bit more detail but it sounds like there is a bit of a loop hole. It sounds like a pro can catch up to 140 tonnes per year while he is activly targeting the species and while he is not targeting the species he can still have up to 150 fish in his possession.

So, how would anyone know when a pro is or is not targeting spotties. Could he just call some catches bycatch, god I hate that word. Who determines if it should count to his yearly total or not.

Wesley_Pang
07-12-2002, 03:33 AM
Steve,

I hope it isn't a loop hole too. We will have to wait for the legislation.

The devil is in the detail.

Is the 140 tonnes made up of - take and possession limit of 150 fish caught without net. Does it mean the pro's that are targetting spotties with line, have to go back to port after catching 150 fish and sell their catch before they can fish again.

Is the bycatch with net - 15 fish??

At least 140 tonnes is down from the 406 tonnes caught in 2000.

What other species do they ring net?? Hopefully they don't go after the Northen Bluefin(longtail) Tuna.

We will just have to wait and see.

Wes

bugman
07-12-2002, 04:39 AM
Congratulations to everyone that filled in the RIS and fought for this one.
It's a STEP in the right direction but by no means the end. I wonder how many rec fishos will fail to abide by the new size and bag limits. Don't forget the onus is on us here as well to do our bit. But I must admit I cracked the odd beer last night with a smil on my face. Makes you almost feel good.

Have look at this two points of view:

ABC 5/12/2002

Seafood group attacks new fishing limits

The Queensland Seafood Industry Association (QSIA) is critical of new limits on commercial and recreational fishing in Queensland.

The commercial netting of spotted mackerel is banned with the commercial harvest to be capped at 140 tonnes a year and the commercial possession limit set at 150 fish.

For recreational fishers, the bag limits for spotted mackerel, flathead, snapper, pearl pearch and teraglin jew will all be reduced to five fish.

The QSIA's Dennis O'Connell says there is no need for such restrictions, which will reduce supply and force up prices.

ABC 5/12/2002

Sunfish welcomes spotted mackeral netting

Recreational fishing organisation Sunfish has welcomed a ban on the netting of spotted mackeral, announced by Queensland Premier Peter Beattie today.

The ban is part of a range of new limits placed on commercial and recreational fishers in Queensland, including further reduced bag and catch sizes.

Sunfish chairman John Doohan says while some recreational anglers will bemoan new bag limits for a range of species, the changes are generally fair and reasonable.

"We think it's a move in the right direction after a fairly long delay in getting very much out of fisheries as far as recreational anglers are concerned," he said.

"The initiative to stop spotty mackeral fishing and make it a line-caught fish is a good one. The mackeral was just getting decimated."

Well done everyone http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm32.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm32.gif

Bugman

Wesley_Pang
07-12-2002, 05:16 AM
Bug,

I hope the tide has turned. If the Pro are not happy about it, it is the right direction. The Pro lobby has been too powerful for too long. Its good to see the Recs having a say.

It will be a long battle.

I'm happy with the bag limits. The days of wholesale slaughter are over.

Wes

Vern_Veitch
07-12-2002, 08:56 AM
W_P.
the 150 fish is effectively a bag limit as I understand it. When they get to that they must come in and offload. That is a lot of fish to store on a boat so not a big limitation.
15 fish is what they can catch without declaring it in their TAC. In my view, it should have been the recreational bag limit of 5.
Still this is better than we had 12 months ago and will hopefully lead to rec fishers having a chance of getting a few fish.
My biggest concern is where the effort will be transfered to as no licences have been bought out.
As for the scare tactics of increased prices - most of the spottie catch goes overseas anyway so the impact on consumere will be 3/5ths of 5/8ths.
Vern

jaybee
07-12-2002, 09:16 AM
I agree with vern, a few weeks ago a tv show had the co op on down at redcliffe. The story was about sea food for Christmas. The manager stated that they have to supply interstate and overseas demand before putting any prawns (rejects) in the window. He was whinging because interstate and overseas prices were 15 to 18 dollars a kilo, while the prawns in the window to the locals was $26 a kilo. I cant beleive those prices are right,(more like $40 a kilo overseas) especially when he said its been the best season ever for Tiger prawns due to the lack of rain and overseas demand outstrips local demand. They said it not me.
cheers
joe.

stevedemon
09-12-2002, 05:36 PM
Hi All
Well I'm glad to see we had a win agianst the pro's but we better wait and see the final out come first as well as the facts is the new rule is it bag limits or in possesion is what I would like to no.

Out of the 92 Petitions that where sent out I recieved 12 back with a total of 412 signatures of them this shows just how much the fisho's will stand up and be counted, these where all sent to Mr palaszczuk office mid week.

so which ever way we go the cut in the bag limits in one way is good but in the other if it is the Possesion rule #??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve :P

# #

Jason_L
09-12-2002, 09:17 PM
it's a shame we call their trade professional fisherman. the thing i hate most is when you see shows of the pros. bringing fish up in their nets it appears that not only do they catch everything in their path, undersize crabs, fish, etc. but it also appears that most of these fish are dead before they get released back into the water..

it's a terrible loss of life, and for what a few prawns.

a professional fisherman shouldn't have to use nets, they should just use fishing lines. atleast that would make it fair on the fish.

it's good to see this rule coming in though.. and even though some of these fish's bag limit and keepable size is increasing, i'm not too fussed about that either.

a good move for the every day joe bloggs.

Vern_Veitch
10-12-2002, 09:50 AM
The new totals for recreational fishers are "in possession" limits. No such thing as a "bag" limit in Queensland.
Note on all my postings I use the terminology "commercial" fishers. Most in the industry are hard, honest workers doing what the law allows them to do. But it is not a "profession" and to my mind never will be, the same as being a tour guide for recreational fishers is not recognised as a profession.
Vern

stevedemon
10-12-2002, 02:14 PM
Hi All
just a question then I would like you all to go to the DiD You Know and answer the the poll

if you read all the fishing magazines tide books or your alll faithfull Beacon to Beacon, Hooked in Paradise or what ever the book may be that alll fishing in Queensland are in Bag limits this to me means per/person per/day not in possesion

I've been In Queensland now for 16yrs and have always believe that it was a Bag Limit not in possesion as some said to me today that so excuse my ingnorance but ingnorance is not and excuse so just a quick quiz to see have many others are in the same belief

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve :P

Cheers # #

jaybee
10-12-2002, 04:05 PM
Steve with the new size limits its been made in possession, see the new reef fin fish ris, which also covers moreton bay not just the GBR. so I am under the impression if i go to mooloolaba for a week, catch my bag limit on the first day, thats it, cause i keep all the fish in an esky in the boat. Its in possession the same as tailor.
cheers.

Big_Muddie
10-12-2002, 04:58 PM
Hi Jaybee.

Not only do you have to worry about what you have in your boat esky, but also any fish you have at home or campsite in your fridge/freezer! For the purposes of the Act, in possesion means in your possesion anywhere - home and campsite included. Of course you would have to tell them (inspectors etc) that you have others at home.

At the same time, if the inspectors have a suspicion that you are not being fully truthful, then they may apply for a warrant to search your home! Of course the suspicions have to be strong enough to convince a magistrate to grant the warrant.

Those are extreme cases but they can't just be dismissed. Mostly those powers are there to apply in major cases but you never know when some officious inspector might decide to test you.

BTW - the powers of search etc are not new - have been there for a while - just come into focus with changes to limits etc.

Scary stuff!

Vern_Veitch
10-12-2002, 05:08 PM
Seems to me that the QFS is not doing a v ery good job of informing the public of what their legislation really means. Makes you wonder what they do with all that money they get.
Vern

bugman
11-12-2002, 04:52 AM
Gentlemen,

Do you really believe that with just 120 fishery patrol officers in QLD and around 8 in the moreton Bay region that any of these guys have the time or inclination to check home freezers.

As big muddie said they've also got to get a warrant from a magistrate to search your home. Now my thinking here would be that Fisheries must have a bit of evidence on you that you do a bit of poaching in your spare time to warrant asking for a warrant.

I don't think that too many of us have much to worry about here - unless you're an illegal poacher then I hope you go to jail and never fish again.

Posession limits have ben extended slightly for live aboard charters as well otherwise the industry would collapse. Somepeople may think this is a or bad thing but it's up to the individual. Personally if I don't have access to my own big boat to fish some of the areas that charters go to but have another money to buy a trip on one then I'd like the ability to bring home a few more fish.

But that's my opinion.

Brett

jaybee
11-12-2002, 05:43 AM
Maybe this is the reason the QLD is now trialling the QLD police as inspectors as well. The police are also inspectors in NSW. I might be wrong here, but didnt the joh gov, give powers to police to enter ones home without a warrant.
cheers.

Vern_Veitch
11-12-2002, 10:41 AM
I agree with Bugman about being checked on your own property although there is always the risk and I would not take the chance.
Cannot agree that charters get extra allowance. The weather and other commitments has stopped me from getting to the reef for the last 2 months so should I get an allowance as well?
Charters run big boats that are rarely affected by weather. Are we talking about being able to buy more than your fair share of the resource or are we talking about sustainable and ecuitable management. The later I hope.
Vern

Gazza
11-12-2002, 11:18 AM
I agree with Bugman about being checked on your own property although there is always the risk and I would not take the chance.
Cannot agree that charters get extra allowance. The weather and other commitments has stopped me from getting to the reef for the last 2 months so should I get an allowance as well?
Charters run big boats that are rarely affected by weather. Are we talking about being able to buy more than your fair share of the resource or are we talking about sustainable and ecuitable management. The later I hope.
Vern

Hi Vern , yeah mate, the 'level' playing field ain't quite perfected yet :(

Charters???........time will eventually require a TAC per surveyed 'capacity' ,and even e.g. non-fishing of Gold coast GPS marks for Snapper ,day in ,day out (by charters)...whoooops a 3 winged ,2 headed pig just flew past :P :P

Mate , "in possession" (to me) ain't a restriction , as such.........

Says ( to me ) IF I go fishing from 6p.m. to 6a.m. .......it ain't (2) bag-limits.

Holiday camping ramifications "is a worry" ,but then again , me and family would eat/drink/smell of fish daily, and a 'good' day on e.g. flatties limit ???, would then be supplemented by whiting/tailor/macs/jacks/jew/crabs on future days........just my POV

p.s. I personally prefer a 'range' of fish ,rather than heaps of one specific type..........anyday :D :D

Regards
Gazza

(and keep batting/battling ;D for us)

Vern_Veitch
11-12-2002, 11:38 AM
In possession limits don't affect me either Gazza. I fish for fun mostly although I like a feed as well.
There is one thing worse than not catching any fish - not trying.
Vern

Gazza
11-12-2002, 12:46 PM
In possession limits don't affect me either Gazza. I fish for fun mostly although I like a feed as well.
There is one thing worse than not catching any fish -

[not trying].

Vern

not trying Vern ???......I respect your efforts.

Keep batting/battling for us RecFishos (good,bad 'n ugly).......
fair & reasonable FUNDING ,is hopefully in "webby" and co's wishlist ??? ??? ???........I trust/assume ??? ??? ???

Nothing less and maybe 'more'..... ??? ??? ???

Just my IMHO
Regards
Gazza

Smithy
12-12-2002, 12:54 PM
Remember the next RIS is due in before the 16th of this month!

jaybee
12-12-2002, 04:59 PM
In possesion limits mean I wont be fishing mooloolaba again on a 3 day to a 3 week holiday. Granted some fish will be eaten, some maybe given away, (bbq in the park with tourists from overseas) however, fresh is best, these trips are not cheap, and frozen is best in the long run, so the tourist and fishing dollar is gone there and I am only one person. go figure. Whats the government got up their sleeve to compensate for the loss, fish cages in moreton bay, I wonder.
cheers.

krazyfisher
12-12-2002, 06:08 PM
I have thought it has been in possession for awhile am I wrong or have some of us been doing the wrong thing? This is a question and not a judgement. And if it has been in possession and alot of us have been using it as a bag per day are we any better than the people we are against? Not knowing is not an excuse. This has just made me think and I am included in this I have made judgement on people for the way they rape the fisheries but there would be those among us that do things that are not good and just because we dont know any better i.e. targeting barra in the closed season. We have all done something that we should not have this is another reason there needs to be more education of the public to get it right. The goverment looks like they are trying to do the right thing but maybe some funding for education would be good, maybe someone like sunfish could do it OH Thanks right there is not funding for sunfish :-[

jaybee
12-12-2002, 07:05 PM
hey krazy see the post i put up under Did You Know concerning proposed changes regulaton 1.5 either no one read it right and filled in the RIS wrong, dont care, or don't understand.
cheers.

Ron_Collins
12-12-2002, 09:30 PM
Hi all

I've avoided commenting on the chat board for a while now, but some of the posts on this topic have got the better of me. In fact, the overall lack of knowledge on some basic fishing "rules" are a real worry, considering that the posters seem to be very regular anglers.

The Queensland "bag limit" has been one of "in possession" for a long time. Yes, it means what it says: you can't catch a "bag limit" day after as you'd obviously be in possession (at home, in the ice box on the beach, in the boat, at the camp site and so on) of too many fish.

Reef fishing at say Fraser Island provides a classic example of why the "in possession" limit is in place.

The reason? It's so easy to "bag out" offshore at Fraser Island (and other such locations). In fact a "bag limit" of some specified fish can be caught in a morning, even with 30 fish limits.

Someone there for say a week could and more than likely would end up with hundreds of specified fish under the higher limits. I don't believe this is appropriate, and I don't believe (as supported by the outcome from the RIS) that many people want this sort of situation. Hence proposed limits of five specified fish "in possession" and length changes.

Anglers should also keep in mind that there are scores of unspecified fish that currently don't have a limit of any sort.

The new bag limits and other RIS-influenced changes are not law yet. Last Saturday morning the Minister told me and 4BC Fishing Show listeners that he hopes the new regulations are in place by January 1, 2003. The reason for this is that there are certain processes still to take place before the new rules are gazetted as "law".

On another topic, I don't see the outcome of the RIS as a "win against the pros". To the contrary, in fact, as on the subject of spotted mackerel half of the commercial fishermen who responded voted against ring netting of that species. So the banning of ring netting was a deserved outcome based on the clear majority of responses.

Finally, if we want to be seen as "professional" recreational anglers, we owe it to ourselves and others to be fully acquainted with the rules and regulations governing us. Far too often wrong information is posted and spoken about, which is dangerous to those who accept the wrong information in good faith as being correct.

There are virtually truckloads of information brochures and other documents on fishing regulations. Why not have a read of them one lay day? - Ron Collins, Ed.

krazyfisher
13-12-2002, 03:16 AM
Jaybee and Ron
I agree with what you both say my point was and I may have not got it through was why can people spend hours reading about how to catch fish better or how to tie a better knot, but not spend the time to find out the rules of the sport in which we all love all this is there on the net or from dpi etc. I get most of this new information as it comes through so would many others maybe it should get posted on the boards?

jaybee
13-12-2002, 03:52 AM
Good idea krazy I beleive steve (ausfish) has invited the Qld gov to post on the boards a few times now like the NSW gov. Maybe they are shy eh.
cheers.

krazyfisher
13-12-2002, 04:02 AM
jaybee
how about we start a thread in general chat with fishing up dates and if anyone finds something out it can be posted? I know vern puts up some good posts along with yourself and many others but I think they get lost.