PDA

View Full Version : Support for Coastguard

CHRIS_aka_GWH
12-12-2002, 07:24 AM
I'm really surprised there aren't grumblings on the boards already about this one.

I'm #absolutely astounded that Mssrs Hazell & Knapp (front page Courier Mail Tuesday 10/12/02 & related media) would even consider suing the volunteer coastguard for an alleged slow response time to their swamping in the bay Sunday evening.

There's lots of unanswered questions on their part related to why an EPIRB was not available on what is obviously an open water craft, why a flare was not set off (were there any on board) - thank god they had life jackets to put on & a torch. And why would you put to sea in conditions like that in a boat you were not familiar with let alone stay out after dark.

Three cheers to the masterful skipper on the Combie Trader whose attention in those conditions spotted their torch in the dark & whose skills with such a large vessel in unfavorable seas effected a rescue.

I have nothing but praise & admiration for the professionalism & devotion of our volunteer organisations such as the Coastguard, the Surf Lifesavers, SES, Bush Fire Brigades etc. What a valuable job you guys & gals do. It's comforting to know there's an ear by a radio, some eyes on the water & some courage willing to be tested if I find trouble.

Ausfish members - if over Xmas you spot a guy with a tin at a boat ramp or some old salt with a raffle book at the pub drop them a gold coin - best insurance you'll ever buy.

... and to the crew Sunday night on the "Jamie Lee", please think hard about how you ended up in the drink in the first place & who was the first you turned to for help.

chris

Dominator
12-12-2002, 09:33 AM
Very well said Chris. ;)

People like the ones from the "Jamie Lee" that put them selves in such a compromising situation need to wake up to themselves.

The volunteer coastguard provides an invaluable service for all boaties so to come under critisism from people like that is very wrong.

Cheers,

Dominator.

argonautical
12-12-2002, 09:57 AM
Ditto.

Maybe the crew on the "Jamie Lee" should be suing the skipper. The primary responsibility for the safety of the crew and vessel surely lies with him.

argo

sharkbait
12-12-2002, 10:11 AM
Their story was that they lost their flares earlier in the night - slightly suspicious me thinks...plus the skipper was the one who gave the coastguard and police the wrong position and landmarks to start the search. they are very lucky to be alive i reckon.

Vern_Veitch
12-12-2002, 12:23 PM
Bit of a shame there is not a solisitor somewhere will ing to voluntarily represent the Coast Guard in a writ against these $#@%&^ for their disparaging remarks intended to cause harm to the reputation of the C/G.
Even Water Police back up the C/G. Seems to me there is more to this than meets the eye.
Vern

webby
12-12-2002, 03:55 PM
The troubles with Wankers like these, and there's a lot of them out there in the bay. They blame everyone but themselves.
They head off thinking their rigs are unsinkable, and their knowledge and experience gained after 10mins behind the helm, they believe their indestructable. So they then take on conditions that this stretch of water, with any wind over 20+kts will even send chills down a experience skippers spine in boats 6m or less.
As far as i'm concerned they have no one to blame but themselves.
They should have Fines for Stupidity on the water.
regards

jaybee
12-12-2002, 04:48 PM
Best insurance you can buy is to join VMR it costs $40 a year, and you will find if you do need them it wont cost as much. if not nothing, I'm not a member only passing on from people who are, but lately i dont use my boat anyway :( but thats another story. I agree what everyone else has said, this pair of wankers should be the ones that are sued firstly by putting other lives at stake, should be a big fine for that, when in doubt don't go out. But then these days i hear its easy to get a license just by purchasing a rig because of the ever increasing price. Don't know how true it is.
cheers

stevedemon
12-12-2002, 06:03 PM
Hi all
a little bit more info for you all that was heard along the grape vine the mongrels where warned not to go out with the weather being so sh!!full but they did anyway and the facts still remain not only where they not carrying flares, V-Sheets, Epbir, but did they have a marine radio on boardany one with any kind of sense knows with the weather you ask for what you get :P ??? :P I have no pitty for these Wankers myself but as for the fact that they are blaming the Coast Guard just goes to show how much of DI!!heads they really are I have had to call the coast Guard 3 times in 12months and each time there response time was unbleivable as it was not and emergency just a tow back to the boat ramp these guy's do incredible things for boaties in some trouble weather putting their own lives at risk for Di!!heads that are to stupid to realize reality by the time the Cops get though the investgations I really don't think the Coast Guard will have anything to worry about but as for myself i think the $48.50 or Pension Discount of 43.50 per/yr is a bloody good investment even if you don't use it my thoughts only ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve :P

Lucky_Phill
13-12-2002, 12:34 PM
I do agree that the skipper of the Vessel shoud be fined, make a public apology to the Coast Guard, go to " Boaties School " etc.

Not only these guys, but many others will spend a zillion dollars on fishing gear, boats, etc and baulk at a couple of hundred dollars for an EPIRB or GPS or VHF radio.

I have had 3 ocassions in my boating life to call for assistance. #Each time I could tell the operator exactly where I was, due to the GPS and Radio. #( I had also " logged in ". )The Coast Guard were " More " than helpful, considering these guys and gals are Volunteers.

Anyone can get a boat licence, but we can't dikhead proof the holders of the licence. # :P