PDA

View Full Version : Much better site

stik
06-12-2002, 04:35 PM
Hey Ya'll, howdy from Texas. I haven't been to this site in a while. I'm surprised that my user name was still in the memory bank. The ausfish website is a lot easier to navigate around in now and I'm lookin' forward to talkin' to ya'll in the future. I don't know what the time difference is but it's 04:30 right now and I'm at work and if any of ya'll are managers where I work then this isn't me. Everyone have a good day and I'll talk to ya'll later

seqfisho
06-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Welcome back Stik

And a big G Day from the land of bronzed beauties, big fish and icey cold XXXX (beer).

You will have to keep us posted on the fishy going on's in Texas.

Oh by the way if your boss asks me , you were never here ::) ::) ::) ::) ;)

Glen

Eat Sleep FISH!!!!!!!!!

stik
06-12-2002, 05:42 PM
Well, it's finally winter in NE Texas and after the summer we had it's colder than a mother-in-law's heart. The local lake temp is down to about 58 degrees and the striped bass are starting to bite as they bulk up for the winter. The black bass are biting good on lures presented very slowly and the colder it gets you even have to fish slower still. I don't know if you guys fish for catfish (intentionally) but the big cats are also starting to bite. Everything wants to be fat to make it through the winter. The local baitfish (shad) have a terrible existence......they run from the stripers, they run from the seagulls, and just when they think they are safe, here comes some S.O.B. with a cast net. It's going to be a good winter....I love being out in my boat when it seems I'm the only one on the water. There was an article in the local paper about 3 yrs ago about 4 guys fishing on Superbowl Sunday and it was so quiet that they said they could hear the snow hitting the water......and the fish were biting like crazy. Boys, this is no lie.....I don't have to lie about my fish stories, the truth is more unbelievable. Anyway, its about time for the bosses to start getting to work so I'll talk to ya'll tonight. Don't catch'em all.
tight lines
Benny

Randall
07-12-2002, 04:20 PM
Howdy Stik, bloody cold over there now huh?
I see you come from Stevie Ray country....yes there are people over here that recognize the genius of the late great SRV.

Keep fishin the cold stuff and if it freezes over, start drilling holes!!!

Regards, # Randall.

jaybee
07-12-2002, 05:06 PM
Isnt this amazing here is this guy half way around the world he can enjoy the chat board and our exploits but he is yet to get out here and meet us and once he does will never go home. am i right or wrong ;D come on stik take a flight down under you wont regret it
cheers.

Wayne
08-12-2002, 09:21 AM
Stik has raised a very interesting point. As far as I see it our friends from North America love fishing for and eating Catfish. Wouldn't they have a ball in the Brisbane River or the Logan. You could take em out on fishing sarfaris, bait would be cheap cause catfish eat anything, you don't need fancy fishing gear - 100lb handlines would do, and you could go anytime on any tide cause there are always catfish there. Imagine what the fishing would be like when it is pissin down raining and running fresh ... absolutely no competion from fellow anglers and the catties would be jumping in the boat. To add an American flavour they could bring their own baseball bats to gong them with. Alternatively if they prefer sportfishing the Nerang River would be the spot to go. I recon you could catch and release hundreds of those 3 inch catties in a session.

Guys there is definitely an untapped market here for a budding entrepreneur. The next question is do ya think they like stingrays and toadies ?

Cheers

Wayne

stik
11-12-2002, 07:49 AM
Yeah guys it's starting to get cold in Texas but that just keeps the fisherman that aren't serious off the lake. The jet-skis have all been garaged for the year and I pretty much have the water all to myself.

Randall: Yes, this is the land of Stevie Ray Vaughn. I was stationed in the Air Force in Austin in '77 when SRV and his brother's band "The Fabulous Thunderbirds" were just a barband. B.B. King once said that Stevie was the best white boy he had ever heard. It was a sad day(around the world) when his death was announced. Also I must say I recently discovered a blues singer from Aus. named Ann Mccue. I saw her earlier this year in New Orleans at the House of Blues. She was touring with a girl named Lucinda Williams. Ann did a version of Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Child" that brought the house down. I'm looking for some of her music and was wondering if you could also recommend some other artists from your area.

Jaybee: You're right, I have never been down under. After 18 yrs in the Air Force, Australia is the one place that I never got to go. I had a couple of chances but it never worked out. I guess I'll have to pay my own way and get down there some day and maybe meet some of ya'll. And if any of ya'll are ever in my neck of the woods I'd be proud to take ya'll out on "my" home lake and wet a line.

Wayne: Yes (as Texans) we love eating catfish. Home-made stinkbait recipes are handed down through generations and the ingredients are a closely guarded secret. When I use some of this stinking stuff I try not to think about eating a fish that would take this bait. But sit me down with a big plate of filets and a basket of hush-puppies and I'll eat until I swear I'm going to grow fins myself.

Anyway, I know that a lot of this note isn't about fishin but we have to get to know each other if we're gonna take each other to our secret spots. Ya'll have a good day and since I'm on second shift this week I'll be talking to ya'll a little earlier this week than last.
tight lines from Texas
Benny

jaybee
11-12-2002, 08:10 AM
Hush puppies ??? I take it that is a type of hash brown, no ??? over here they are shoes LOL, besides there is nothing wrong with fresh water catfish over here, have eaten a few and found the flesh very white and sweet to eat.
cheers.
joe.

stik
11-12-2002, 08:58 AM
I'm sorry guys, it didn't occur to me that hush-puppies were not an international delicacy. They are made from basically a cornbread recipe with corn and LOTS of jalapeno peppers added to the mixture. Then it is dropped into a pot of oil(by the spoonfuls) and deep fried until golden brown. The result is a small fried bread thingy about the size of a walnut. The flavor is enhanced by the ratio of jalapenos and a slight (very slight) amount of sugar. I like them with a goodly amount of the jalapenos or even the habenero peppers if they are available. If anyone is interested I will get the complete recipe from my wife and get it to ya'll tomorrow.
later
Benny

jaybee
11-12-2002, 09:09 AM
I'd like to have a go at that, is a jelapeno similar to a capsicum or bell pepper, or is it one of the hotter peppers.
cheers
joe.

Dominator
11-12-2002, 10:11 AM
Jalapenos are one of the hotter variety of peppers. :o :o :o

They are very nice with salads.

Cheers,

Dominator.

stik
11-12-2002, 10:28 AM
Jaybee, Dominator is right.....the jalapenos are a hotter variety of pepper. The habenero is suposed to be rated about 10-20 times hotter than a jalapeno. When you are using the habeneros you are VERY careful to wash your hands thoroughly after handling. These things will take the chrome off of a trailer hitch. It is an acquired taste but nothing is better than a batch of hush-puppies made with them. I will bring the recipe tomorrow and share it with ya'll.
Well guys, its about quiting time so I'll see ya'll tomorrow. Take it easy and I hope ya'll all have the sun on your face and the wind at your back.
Benny

Beggsy
12-12-2002, 08:19 AM
Jaybee,

Jalapeno's aren't related to our capsicums..........

Some of the hotter varieties will burn you a new A**ehole.

jaybee
12-12-2002, 03:41 PM
I get the message so they are like the long skinny ones, if so i cant eat them anymore, long story, but have to take pills for the rest of my life, so be careful. so maybe this recipe can use a milder chillie, capsicum eh. what you reckon.
cheers
joe.

scott_b
13-12-2002, 02:02 PM
You know jaybee!, halapeno's spelled jalapeno's there on most of our pizza menu's.
wamjam

jaybee
13-12-2002, 02:11 PM
Glad i dont eat too much pizza, lucky to eat two a year LOL. would rather eat seafood
cheers.