PDA

View Full Version : New RIS regs apply NOW

Ron_Collins
13-12-2002, 11:12 AM
Hi All

Forget everything else that has been said and written by me and others - the new RIS regulations are in force now. How and why? I understand that a commencement date was not specified when the new regs were gazetted, which therefore meant an automatic default to the publishing date of December 9.

That will not cause a major headache for recreational anglers, commercial fishermen or the State Government because quite a load of administrative work still has to be done - such as reprinting brochures, changing signs, education etc, etc. There is also an unwritten "period of grace" allowed when major regulation changes like these are made.

I've also made further inquiries about the "in possession" requirement of Queensland bag limits. That terminology, I've been advised, is as old as fisheries legislation in Queensland. Which takes it back to around the 1920-30s and legislation about crabs.

Its use continued when subsequent legislative changes were made, including the Fisheries Act in 1976. Perhaps its most noticible use was when the 30 bag limit for snapper and the other categories were introduced comparatively recently about 10 years ago.

Other issues which have attracted quite a lot of recent "scare" discussion include the prospect of inspectors bursting into private homes etc. That sort of activity is covered by other superior legislation which exists as a protective measure in the unlikely event of that happening.

I commend and recommend the DPI's Fishweb site. These sorts of issues are covered under a section called "Fisheries regulations, licences and permits". Have a look at http://dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb

Hope this adds some clarity to the matter. Ron Collins, Ed.

PS: Will elaborate and update as much as possible in the January edition of BNB Fishing, which is in newsagents around Christmas day.

Lucky_Phill
13-12-2002, 12:14 PM
Good to hear from you Ron ;D

Yes mate, there is a lot of " misinterpretation " out there, especially when the new regs and so on some into effect.

Certainly been cleared up. But with the info in all the " media's' there should be no excuse after Xmas.

cheers and good health to you Ron. 8) ;D

Wesley_Pang
13-12-2002, 01:50 PM
Ron,

The RIS you refering to are the "spotty mackeral, flathead etc" one isn't it. Not the Coral Fin Fish one that is closing on Monday.

Wes

webby
13-12-2002, 02:47 PM
Hi All.
After a long chat with Terry Healy (Manager of rec fisheries) today, this is what was clarified.
1. The new regulation are inforce/ but the Govt in recess and with a majoity, there should be no hiccups when they return having everything official.
2. They are this week reprinting new pamplets that will be sent to all tackle stores etc before chissy.
3. The new regulations should be up on their website now.
4. It always has been and always will be "In possession".
They will be have a wide review off all publications private and govt' and correcting or deleting the words Bag Limits.
5. And hopefully this week or next will start posting on this website.
regards

Vern_Veitch
13-12-2002, 05:00 PM
Wesley,
this definatley only applies to spotties, flathead etc.
The coral reef proposal is still in the consultation phase.
Vern

Ron_Collins
13-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Hi Lucky_Phill, Wes, Webby and All

Firstly, Wes, both Webby and I were referring to the RIS which covered, among other things, flathead, snapper, pearl perch and the like.

The second matter which closes at 5pm on Monday, December 16 is the Coral Reef Fin Fish Fishery Consultation Paper. (And I'm trying to get motivated enough to put pen to paper on it right now.)

The first one was a Regulatory Impact Statement and the second a combined RIS and Consultation Paper, which makes them somewhat different in terms of the information being sought. To me the Consultation Paper/RIS is more complex than the first RIS.

At the end of the day, however, everyone who completes one, the other, or both is helping the State Government formulate rules and regulations. That, in my opinion, is a very good thing. Especially when the State Government does the right thing and bases its decisions on majority input, as occurred with the RIS.

Finally for now, it will make life a little easier in terms of convenience for most of us when they start posting on Ausfish. NSW Fisheries does a good job in this respect. Come to think of it, I guess the ideal situation would be for each state to have common rules and regulations, then we'd only need to learn and know one set of regulations.

Best wishes. - Ron Collins, Ed.

PS: This sort of topic and the various related responses makes one realise how useful chat boards can be.

aquarius
13-12-2002, 05:23 PM
Yep Webby is right,the new recreational fishing rules for Queensland tidal waters are on the fish web site.
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb
check them out.
cheers Brent :)

bugman
14-12-2002, 04:24 AM
What, So no-one beleived me earlier in the week ?????

Come on I've got a trustworthy face - I'm a nice guy - I've always treated my mother well. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm2.gif

Good to see QFS have updated their website now though.

Brett

jaybee
14-12-2002, 05:23 AM
I've got to agree with ron on uniform size and in possession limits. I have sent an email to the governement yesterday, asking them where i stand if i fish over the border and have 10 snapper in possession, under our new size limit, its only 30 in NSW. Say i get pulled up in QLD by the police and they decide to look in my ice box. How do I prove the fish were caught over the border?? and where do i stand legally. I am eagerly awaiting their reply.
cheers.

Heath
14-12-2002, 09:54 AM
Jaybee,

Rules are rules mate. No matter where the fish were caught.

Just the same as if you were caught in NSW fishing & you had a castnet in your car.

jaybee
14-12-2002, 10:35 AM
Well heath that is want I want to know from the authorities, i know rules are rules, (did you get my message) and i have been caught with my bait net in a car over the border, long story but all was proved legal. and thats what i am getting at. How much of a process are going to have to go through. I like to fish south and north. However uniform size and in possession limits would be better off. At this stage i believe the government will only let us know what they want us to know. Are they doing this to keep us home to spend a dollar, and what is happening to the tourist dollar from south. What excuse are they going to come up with to increase the commercial catch to make up for the lost tourist dollars.
conspiracy theory as i have been told, or food for thought. Its the future that counts, on today decisions.
cheers
joe.

krazyfisher
14-12-2002, 05:16 PM
I have been told that the new regs are as of 12midnight today

webby
14-12-2002, 05:17 PM
Well your only option Joe is to pull up at the border and have some Sushi before crossing into Qld.
Then the other option is if heading south you can go fishing again and catch another 5 ;D
regards

jaybee
15-12-2002, 05:50 AM
yeh brian i guess those living down around Coolangatta / tweed now have the best of both worlds eh lucky bathtubs. I really like fishing the nine mile over the summer months, so now i am torn between there and mooloolaba. :'(