PDA

View Full Version : 4BC Fishing Show questions for HP & DB

Ron_Collins
19-12-2002, 03:58 PM
Hi All

I'll find out as early as possible tomorrow if there is any chance of getting Minister Henry Palaszczuk and or Sunfish executive officer David Bateman on the show on Saturday.

Meanwhile, as that's probably a bit on the remote side, I suggest you list your specific questions about spotted mackerel and the decision to delay implementation. One way or another, your questions can be put to Henry and or Dave.

Please start listing questions as soon as possible if you'd like me to head down that track. Please be concise and try to avoid making longwinded statements as time is at a premium, and if there is sufficient interest I'll have to reformat the show by Friday night.

It's in your hands. - Ron Collins, Ed.

Fitzy
19-12-2002, 04:12 PM
Hi Ron,
Not on the spotty mac issue, however can you ask Henry if he's going to reply to the Jungle Perch article in the December BnB & if he's taking any action to remedy the situation.

Cheers,

Garry Fitz

Gazza
19-12-2002, 04:31 PM
Hi Ron , keeping-it-simple....

With common species ,that holiday Mums & Dad's target e.g. flatties, is the Gov't hoping for increased fines from NSW tourists with our 'higher' min.size ,lower 'bagsize' and smaller MAX size??

Confused??....good :D ,so is everyone else ;D

And specifically "can" the Pro's KEEP ALL the 70cm plus fish........we release.

Use your own wording (or specie), but follow my angle ;)

Regards
Gazza

Wesley_Pang
19-12-2002, 04:41 PM
Ron,

My question is simple.

Why?

Is the government going to back down from banning ringnetting? I though the ban was too "courageous".

Do the rec get a phasing in period for their limits too? I agree with the most of the limits.

I'll try to tune in to your show.

Wes

jaybee
19-12-2002, 04:53 PM
1. Why is it we do not have uniform laws for size and in possesion limits.

2. how is it an ris can be changed at the whim of the commercial fishers and not the recs after the government make a statement. (not forgetting line fishing is more viable to both recs and commercial)

3. Is this pull the wool over the eyes of 800,000 rec fisherman a signal for a change of government that can be trusted.

webby
19-12-2002, 04:59 PM
Hi Ron, (Im fairly agro at present, but i promise i wont swear)
1. Re-In Possession 200
Honestly do you think there going to count to 200 as they close their net, or is fish 201 going to stick a red flag up and say "Stop".
2. Re- 3 months to adapt.
So does this mean Fisheries will be stationed out there, keeping a vigalant on the whole operation, of each netter.
3. Re- 1million absolete fishing equipment.
Whats a mill' in today society.
How many contractors are reembursied, when some multi million dollar company goes under.
4. So does this mean all new regulations are null and void till april, or have we the Rec/angler been shafted again.
5. Re- The Govt' would not back down on the decision pending.
Henry you all ready have, so how much further backwards are you willing to go.
Was finally starting to think that we finally had some people in power with the balls to put things right again, but now it seems we havent.
Its up to you Ron what you do with the above, but i think there's a lot out there at the moment that are fairly hot under the collar, after today decision.
regards Brian Webb.

Touchy - R.I.P.
20-12-2002, 04:16 AM
G'Day Ron,I have two questions I would like you to raise for me with the minister please.><>.A Why was the Seafood Industry Ass.officer Duncan Souters statement "Quote"The new rules were senseless & had no scientific justification"Unquote"not challenged by Mr Palaszczuk? ::),Like running a ring net around a whole school of fish is'nt going to decimate said school!! :P><>.B Obviously the minister gave the commercial sector the chance to respond,Why was the rec/fisho's not given the same chance to reply when the decision was made to stay the date?,I'm sure everyone can understand that people will be effected but the bottom line is the method used for catching these fish is far too severe & that stock cannot be sustained.I had to cop the new rules bought in for rec squire/snapper & I thought BOUGHT FORWORD somewhat,tho'I could of missed something there(but thanks to the the Courier Mail last Fri)the new bag limit of 5 & 35cm for squire/snapper was adhered to,I would of thrown back 40/50 fish to 32cm at Peel last Sat. night,that is now that law & excepted,Why cant the commercial sector cop it straight up like us?.As far as I'm concerned I thought the decision was made in the best interest of the fish stock & a step in the right direction at last!Loss of face (amongst the rec fisho's)again Mr Palaszczuk. >:(Ron I look forward with interest to next Sat/Sundays show.Fred Wood"Touchy"><> ><> ><>.

bugman
20-12-2002, 04:52 AM
Mine is really simple Ron,

Is the Government still committed to the total ban on the netting of spottie mackeral in QLD.

If the answer is no - then jump across the desk (or down the phone line) and throttle him.

If the answer is yes - then the follow-up question is - What credibility is there in that statement given that you've backed down at the first bit of pressure from the commercial sector - How are the people of Queensland meant to have faith in this Government following that decision.

Maybe also have another one - Why was this decision made by the government without the invlovement or acknowledgement of the QFS.

Pretty basic stuff - mind you he's going to tell you that we've got to look at the big picture.

Ron are you paying Henry. He's been on so much lately he's almost a presenter ;D.

Good work - keep it up.

Brett

wishey
20-12-2002, 03:05 PM
Hey Ron
Could you please ask the Minister why the minimum size on Tailer was left at 30cm?, They have put up the minimum sizes on Snapper, Pearl Pearch and Spotties by 5cm and Flathead by 10cm, which is all good stuff.
So why have Tailer missed the boat, so to speak.
I would rather keep a few Tailer over 35cm or 40cm, rather than the current 30cm.
At 35cm or 40 cm at least they would be able to breed more than once before they were caught by net or line.
Your Thoughts Wishey

clutter
20-12-2002, 05:13 PM
Ron,
Two questions but not totally to do with the current RIS. These are:
1. Why wasn't the size of Bream looked at and increased to a more realistic 25 or 27cm minimum.
2. Is the Government looking into the introduction of a fishing license similar to NSW.
In regard to the later, I think most fishermen (and women) would not have a problem paying for a permit if it was guaranteed that most would be spent on improvement of our fishery.
Regards, Clutter.

Vern_Veitch
20-12-2002, 06:41 PM
WHat makes anybody think the Qld Govt would spend all of a fishing licence on recreational fishing when they have not kept their promise to spend the PPV levy on things it was supposed to be dedicated to. Doesn;t anyone remember the Burns Inguiry?
Vern

jaybee
21-12-2002, 03:51 AM
Vern Veitch wrote
Doesn;t anyone remember the Burns Inguiry?
Hey Vern when it comes to voting and the government, according to research people have short memories, and the Governments rely heavily on this.
cheers.

Ron_Collins
21-12-2002, 07:30 AM
Hi All

David Bateman will be about 20km off Mooloolaba on Saturday morning (half his luck!), and therefore out of range via mobile phone. I'll speak with him separately about the issues on Sunday morning instead. - Ron Collins, Ed.