Beggsy
25-12-2002, 05:24 AM
Yeah,

That's a real Ball Tearer !!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(sorry, it had to be said)

Araby_Dog
25-12-2002, 05:46 AM
I was reading a post by Bugman i think about having a dive around the Tangalooma jetty and he mentioned that there was a large W'gong down there.

But whats got me is did this bloke provoke it or have a pilly down his jocks or what? ???

I thought they were docile creatures unless provoked?

bugman
25-12-2002, 07:44 AM
Araby,

The one I saw was sleeping. Apparantly that's what they do during the middle of the day. We were just hovering about 2 foot over the top of it as it lay alongside this big log.

Bait fish were going all over the place - around its head - over the log - around its body. My dive master moves off but I stay for another 10 secs just to have a good look. Anyway I'm about to move and next thing - BANG- it's just opened its big gob and swallowed a little fish right on its nose.

It let out a big puff of sand back through its gills and started wriggling around a fair bit. That was it for me. I finned pretty hard. The divemaster saw the shark move and stir in the water and had come back. He gives me the OK symbol and I respond and we swim off.

When we get to the surface he says to me "what did you do to the wobby? Pull its tail or something" I said bloody hell no and that it had eaten a bait fish. He reckoned it was pretty rare to see them do that and I was lucky to have scene it.

I reckon he was luckier because I was wearing one of his wetsuits which may carry another odour from now on ;D ;D.

The weekend before I was snorkelling at the wrecks and dived to the bottom under a wreck and came face-to-side with another bloody great big wobby. It gave me a hell of a fright but didn't move. I swam back down to within 1 metre of it about 5 times. It never budged an inch. Dive master reckons you can stroke them if you want so maybe that's what the unlucky fella was doing but just rubbed him up the wrong way.

Having said that they feed only at night I've caught one at Old woman Island off maroochydoore before.

Merry Christmas
Bugman

mackmauler
25-12-2002, 10:22 AM
That must be the wobbys way of a gobby ;D Desperate bastard ;)