PDA

View Full Version : Tipped sand crabs

Ron_Collins
22-12-2002, 03:34 PM
Hi All

Minister Henry Palaszczuk has "vowed" to stop the "tipping" of sand crabs. We were able to announce this on 4BC Talking Fishing Show this morning.

Tipping is the main reason for the vast majority of those "miniature" sandies we see for sale in fish shops. For those who are not familiar with tipping, there is a legal, alternative underside measurement allowed if one or both of the carapace tips have been damaged.

As far as the commercial sand crab catch is concerned it seems a very, very high proportion of what would otherwise be undersized crabs have suffered "damage" to one or both tips - which therefore allows the operator to apply the under-body measurement - and that results in an undersized crab becoming one of "legal" length.

I hope this explanation of "tipping" has not confused anyone. The fact that the Minister has promised to stop it is great news, provided he sticks with it. - Ron Collins, Ed.

Gazza
22-12-2002, 04:52 PM
Hi Ron,
Mate , doesn't this indicate ,as plain as the nose on our collective uglies....

That instead of being a loophole , it could be made a DETERRENT??? i.e. whatever the "measurement" from back-2-front actually is at present (I don't know, as I don't use it!!) ,make it 1~2cms. MORE !! ???

Basically , to be "tipped" the sandie would have to probably be bigger than 15cms , to "pass" the INCREASED B-F measurement....

IF NOT......CHUCK IT BACK!!!!

Ron_Collins
22-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Hi Gazza

Your solution seems ok to me at first glance and late at night, but no doubt there will be a raft of "experts" with different views, depending which side of the debate they sit on.

Hopefully we'll get an opportunity to comment on some of the options. Meanwhile, it's good to hear that some action in finally intended. - Ron Collins, Ed.

jack_attack
23-12-2002, 07:18 AM
I had a mate that used to crab "professionally" and have seen the tips "accidently" broken while checking for legal size. It really is a joke the size of crabs that can be kept legally due to this second measurement.

I think Gazza is on to some thing with his thoughts on increasing the underside measurement. Even 10mm would make a lot of difference. I may be wrong but from memory I think it is 32mm (??) the allowable length at the moment.

Gazza
24-12-2002, 04:01 AM
Hi Jack_Attack , 32mm ?? ......less than 1 & 1/2 inches ??........(I know you weren't definite)

BUTT.........Must be more mate........OR I CAN SEE THE PROBLEM !!!

Quick peak at "Nsw RecFishos Regs "
http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/recreational/fish/blue_swimmer.htm

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/recreational/fish/black_crab.htm

And it seem it's 60mm for Sandies , 85mm for Muddies (Bucks and Jennies ::) )

Front-2-back , I know , but even that seems "tiny" i.e 60mm , ~2 and 1/2 inches.

Yep , THE "measurement" is the controlling factor (and solution to the "tipping" problem)

Regards
Gazza

jack_attack
24-12-2002, 02:28 PM
I will find out. I have spoken to his wife and it appears I am wrong. She seems to think it is 75mm, but is going to ask and get back to me. I should know in an hour or so.

jack_attack
24-12-2002, 05:29 PM
OK, straight from the horses mouth. The legal underbody size limit is 37mm. It is measured like this.

On the crab there is the main claw, then 3 legs, then the swimmer. Between the claw and the first leg there is a small dent.

If there is no dent the crab is automatically undersize.

The measurement is taken from that dent to the rear of the last leg. Not the swimmer leg.

Gazza
25-12-2002, 05:08 AM
OK, straight from the horses mouth.
The legal underbody size limit is 37mm..
It is measured like this.

On the crab there is the main claw, then 3 legs, then the swimmer. Between the claw and the first leg there is a small dent.

If there is no dent the crab is automatically undersize.

The measurement is taken from that dent to the rear of the last leg. Not the swimmer leg.

Thanks Jack_Attack for taking the effort in finding out for us.

37mm at present , so around the 45mm maybe closer to a 15cm. plus size.
Interesting that "dent/no dent" reference of yours , I'll have a look in future!!!!

Anyways , good groundwork for "future" scientific :P research :P , and shitfight ;D

Research??? , give me a carton of stubbies ,and I'll measure 500 "non-tipped" legal crabs and "reverse-engineer" the average underbody measurement from there!!

I'll guess 45mm (for now) :D :D :D :D

Merry Xmas and hope ya git attacked by Jacks!! ;)

Regards
Gazza

jack_attack
25-12-2002, 06:01 PM
An interesting point was made to me while talking to my mate. I asked why he stopped crabbing professionally and I was told that there was next to no crabs left. I asked how many he was getting per day.

Answer.....

"Just under 300 on a good day. Not worth going out for any less."

Vern_Veitch
27-12-2002, 05:19 AM
From what I have heard, the potters are not real impressed with trawlers being allowed to keep snad crabs as by-catch.
An interesting point is what do you do with an undersized or jenny that has come up in a trawl net? In a pot they have a good chance of getting back in the water alive.
Anyone for tinned crab or seafood sticks?
Vern

Gazza
27-12-2002, 06:17 AM
Jack_Attack......300/day min.??
Actually makes sense ,I've seen Sandies as low as 5 for $10 ,from time-2-time (and probably ready for the bin ,if not sold that afternoon)

Not much $$$ I'm sure for the "original" pro-crabber......

Vern , throw in a curveball ,and suggest IF Scallop-dredging was ever "encouraged" (in Moreton Bay) ,that'd remove the rest of them!!

NOW Pro's must realise that "their by-catch" ,is some other Pro's livelyhood....... (and I'm sure some lively conversations must occur behind closed doors)

And any of us ,KNOW that a "Sandie" seems to last about 1~2 mins out of water ,maybe they do "rejuvenate" ,but they look pretty lifeless to me.

Regards,
Gazza
p.s. Any bets on whether "tipping" sometimes ::) occurs before/after the 37mm "2nd chance" measurement?