PDA

View Full Version : Ban on mackerel netting delayed

Wesley_Pang
19-12-2002, 09:35 AM
The Courier Mail 18th Dec.

Ban on mackerel netting delayed
Chris Jones
18dec02

A BACKLASH from commercial fishermen over a ban on netting for spotted mackerel has forced the State Government to delay the new rules.

Yesterday, Primary Industries Minister Henry Palaszczuk announced a three-month "phase-in period" for the ban on netting spotted mackerel, meaning it will not take effect until the end of April.

Commercial fishermen will be subject to an in-possession limit of 200 fish during the phase-in period. Mr Palaszczuk said he had asked the Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol to exercise discretion during the next three months to allow commercial operators time to adapt to the rules.

When the netting ban was announced a fortnight ago, the Queensland Seafood Industry Association threatened a legal battle and said the new rules were senseless and had no scientific justification.

Yesterday, the association's executive officer Duncan Souter said the delay was a welcome Christmas present for the 50 commercial fishing families whose livelihood was under threat by the ban.

Mr Souter said his association would spend the three months lobbying the Government for the netting ban to be overturned.

"I think the Minister understands the issues, he understands the ban on ring-netting has no justification and he realises the ban would, if continued, place over 50 families in jeopardy and make obsolete up to $1 million of fishing equipment overnight," Mr Souter said.

Mr Palaszczuk said his decision to delay the ban was made because he knew some operators would be affected.

But he said the Government would not back away from its decision to ban netting of spotted mackerel, which he said was made in the fishery's best interest.

"We realise that those fishers who have traditionally targeted spotted mackerel with nets will be affected but many of them have licences which allow them to continue to fish using lines," he said.

"These operators can turn to line fishing or they can target other species if they choose to continue to use nets."

Commercial fishermen will be limited to a possession limit of 200 spotted mackerel throughout the phase-in period, and an annual cap of 150 fish and an annual fishery-wide harvest of 140 tonnes from July 1.

David Bateman, from recreational fishing group Sunfish, said the decision was not too concerning because the mackerel season in Moreton Bay was almost over.

Meanwhile, Mr Palaszczuk revealed more than 1200 responses had been received by the Government about the proposed new rules for the state's coral reef fishery.

He said the Government would consider the responses and announce its decision in the new year.

The key reforms proposed for the coral reef fishery included reductions in a number of bag and size limits, and a ban on the catching of potato cod, humphead maori wrasse and barramundi cod.

mackmauler
19-12-2002, 10:09 AM
What the hell does paragraph 3 mean ???

Not happy Minister

Rob

jack_attack
19-12-2002, 01:43 PM
We have been dudded again.

Do a few figures and you can see that there is a possibility of 900 000 (50 pro ring netters x 200 fish/day x 90 days) Mackerel that are eligible to be caught from now until the next "proposed" ban.

It would take 2000 anglers 90 days catching a bag limit of 5 fish per day to catch as many.

Seems a bit one sided to me.

As for equipment costs, well, do some figures on what those 2000 anglers would have tied up in gear and expenditure. Obviously it will be well over the $1million that is stated that the pros have invested.

Also remember that "some" of these professionals are still licensed to line fish as a livelyhood.

I also dare to say, that once the nets are gone and the fish become greater in numbers again, that the line fishers will still make a good living with out wiping out entire schools of fish.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

webby
19-12-2002, 02:32 PM
Just one point, whose side of the fence is Dave Bateman sitting on, (the decision was not too concerning because the mackeral season in Moreton bay was almost over).
Mate it hasnt even started yet, if you know the bay and im talking southern, the best time of the year is from dec to feb and possible through into march.
Some of us were hoping that the ban on netting pre christmas might have improved thing a little and a few more might and i say might have got through.
Now its back to the search, search and bloody search again trips.
If the commericals had the option to voice their grievances, and by the sounds of it they were heard, WHY werent the rec/anglers given the opportunity.
It seems as if there's a lot of onesided discussions going on between Henry and a certain section of our fishing industry.
With the netting allowed to continue through to april now, we might as well kiss the season goodbye.
regards

CHRIS_aka_GWH
19-12-2002, 02:46 PM
David Bateman, from recreational fishing group Sunfish, said the decision was not too concerning because the mackerel season in Moreton Bay was almost over.

perhaps he means almost over FOR GOOD !!!

In Davids defence if that's the direct draft from the Courier Mail it does not indicate a direct quote from him. I'd love to hear his side. Perhaps Ron Collins can get him & Henry together on the weekend, if not together at least to state & justify & their position.

chris

Vern_Veitch
19-12-2002, 03:24 PM
My personal view - this decision stinks. It appears for all intents and purposes that The Minister is sacrificing the spotted mackerel which are obviously in trouble or the decision would not have been made in the first place to prop up a section of the commercial fishing industry that has caused this problem and is clearly unsustainable.
Perhaps it is time to move to a more progressive state like NSW. If I lived in Brisbane, I know where I would be doing my fishing.
Vern.

clutter
19-12-2002, 04:20 PM
Seems like a green light to the Pro's to rape the living daylights out of the fishery while they still can. Note happy Henry.
Clutter.

jaybee
19-12-2002, 04:37 PM
Gentlemen I hate to say I told you so, but the government did say in their own words during the ris that banning ring netters would not, and could not, come into effect until july next year. That is why i have been up in arms these past few weeks, on one hand they say one thing but on the other hand mean another.So they make a press release to pacify us then stick it to us once again eh. so how is it we recs get stuck straight away, because the government only let you hear what they want you to hear. time for a change of government i think. bet your bottom dollar there is more to come.
a not so cheers. :(

wooster
20-12-2002, 05:57 AM
I'm sick of gutless political wankers not having the guts to stand up against 50 redneck pro's.
Telling them that basically it wont be in force untill next year , is like saying , well ya better slay em this year boys!
bloody ridiculous country

Lucky_Phill
20-12-2002, 01:29 PM
This decision was a Ministerial one and nothing to do with the QFS.

Who knows why this was done. Some suggest to avoid the legal stouch as in Pumistone Passage.

One thing is for sure, the Ring Netting will stop in April 2003.

As a side to this, the Pro's limit is still 60cms as per the RIS. It's only the practice of ring netting that is allowed to be continued.

I, for one, never invisaged the RIS to come into effect til next year anyway. It was a huge surprize to me when it was announced on the 9th December.

OK, the pro;'s get one more crack at them. We get shafted again. And why is Dave Bateman sitting on the fence. Does this have something to do with State funding of Sunfish ?

Geez I love a good rumour. ;D

Anyway guys, let's just be thankfull as we can that the steps that have been taken are for the better, and, Rome wasn't built in a day. ;D ;) ??? :P

Lucky_Phill
20-12-2002, 01:40 PM
I must add one more thing.

Not for the Kids.

Who the hell does Duncan Souter think he is ? >:(

Is this guy a mushroom ?

Some of the drivel that has been pouring from his oriface lately is beyond comprehension.

No Scientific evidence ! Affecting Hundreds of workers ! No impact on stocks !

Mr Souter, please remove your head from where the sun don't shine and take a look around. Wake up son, get out of the office, stop polishing the leather. >:( >:( >:(

Vern_Veitch
20-12-2002, 06:45 PM

Who knows why this was done. #Some suggest to avoid the legal stouch as in Pumistone Passage.

As a side to this, the Pro's limit is still 60cms as per the RIS. #It's only the practice of ring netting that is allowed to be continued.

I, for one, never invisaged the RIS to come into effect til next year anyway. #It was a huge surprize to me when it was announced on the 9th December.

OK, the pro;'s get one more crack at them. #We get shafted again. #And why is Dave Bateman sitting on the fence. #Does this have something to do with State funding of Sunfish ?

Geez I love a good rumour. # ;D

Anyway guys, let's just be thankfull as we can that the steps that have been taken are for the better, #and, #Rome wasn't built in a day. #;D # ;) # ??? # :P
What funding Phill? We don't have any. David will tell his side on 4BC on Saturday. A 5 minute interview and the reporter misinterpreted one line.
Vern

Gazza
21-12-2002, 08:28 AM

Who knows why this was done. #Some suggest to avoid the legal stouch as in Pumistone Passage.

As a side to this, the Pro's limit is still 60cms as per the RIS. #It's only the practice of ring netting that is allowed to be continued.

I, for one, never invisaged the RIS to come into effect til next year anyway. #It was a huge surprize to me when it was announced on the 9th December.

OK, the pro;'s get one more crack at them. #We get shafted again. #And why is Dave Bateman sitting on the fence. #Does this have something to do with State funding of Sunfish ?

Geez I love a good rumour. # ;D

Anyway guys, let's just be thankfull as we can that the steps that have been taken are for the better, #and, #Rome wasn't built in a day. #;D # ;) # ??? # :P

Geez guys ,
I must be going soft in the head or somethun?, due to pre-Xmas hype and celebrations http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm20.gif......it's just next week, eh!! :P

I understand Lucky_Phil's angle , I would hate to wake up one morning ,and read in the paper ,some media release says I'm outa work.........i.e. NOW ,would be a shock to the system, with an eye on the next few months Bills/etc. for sure.

Now it's been "how long" we've tried to shut it down ,as such ????
We "were" pleasantly suprised at the "announcement" right???

I can reasonably see time being needed to "phase out" and re-gear for whatever market they are going to target.
(we'll possibly whinge there as well, I'm sure ::) )

I don't really think they're going to sink their high-speed boats ,etc.
But if some basic compensation is nutted out ,so what 8) the Gov't WILL pay it.

The "decision" is in place ,challenges made ,breathing space given........
Or you'd have lotsa media coverage of RecFishos as bad,heartless,guys at Xmas time

HP won't backdown ,and I'm actually a little suprised ,we aren't giving a little more upfront support to him , instead of layin' into him?? http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm9.gif

(other issues aside)

Just my IMHO & Merry Xmas to all,
Regards
Gazza

Vern_Veitch
21-12-2002, 04:44 PM
Gazza,
I really, really hope you do not have to eat your words but the commercial fishers have already said they are going to put in a submission to try to get the decision reversed and have reached first base with this "delay".
So they all get one last hit at it before the ban comes in. What harm will that do? Ask the tourist fishers who get their boats ringed at Hervey Bay over Christmas or the guys in Moreton Bay that get pushed off a patch before they can land one or two fish. When has Christmas ever stopped the announcement of a decision against the rec sector? When is a good time to be told you have to change the way you do business?
These fishers will NOT be out of a job, they simply can't net for mackerel, or can they?
Vern

Gazza
22-12-2002, 02:34 AM
Gazza,
I really, really hope you do not have to eat your words but the commercial fishers have already said they are going to put in a submission to try to get the decision reversed and have reached first base with this "delay".
So they all get one last hit at it before the ban comes in. What harm will that do? Ask the tourist fishers who get their boats ringed at Hervey Bay over Christmas or the guys in Moreton Bay that get pushed off a patch before they can land one or two fish. When has Christmas ever stopped the announcement of a decision against the rec sector? When is a good time to be told you have to change the way you do business?
These fishers will NOT be out of a job, they simply can't net for mackerel, or can they?
Vern

Hi Vern, I hope EVERY single case of a RecBOAT being harrassed/ringed by this "to be banned activity" by PRO's is ACTIVELY REPORTED to:-

The MEDIA & Fisheries & Police & in particular Henry P. so "both" practices go the way of the Dodo.........

Mate, they "have won" a delay(fact) to "eliminate" a financial "excuse".......nothing more ,in my book.

Give 'em enough rope to hang themselves ,take a mobile/video on the boat ,use it ,even if it's on "behalf" of another RecBoat........ ;)

Fingers ,toes ,eyes crossed !!!
Regards
Gazza

Gazza
24-12-2002, 03:40 AM
Vern, (or others who know)

Supplimentary Q's (can you clarify please):-

1. When is/was/will the 140T TAC begin?? i.e. season 2003

2. (a) Could be a case of "wires crossed" , but with "future" linefishing ,doesn't that mean "incidental catch" would logically be zero?? (and a little "hollow log" of income being lost/defended ???)

#(b) and/or means ,if less than 100kg. caught (in a day) they just don't (have to) report it??

Regards
Gazza

Vern_Veitch
25-12-2002, 04:02 AM
Vern, (or others who know)

Supplimentary Q's (can you clarify please):-

1. When is/was/will the 140T TAC begin?? i.e. season 2003

2. (a) Could be a case of "wires crossed" , but with "future" linefishing ,doesn't that mean "incidental catch" would logically be zero?? (and a little "hollow log" of income being lost/defended #???)

#(b) and/or means ,if less than 100kg. caught (in a day) they just don't (have to) report it??

Regards
Gazza

Gazza.
Answers as follows:
1. With the Minister delaying "ring netting", we do not know what else he is delaying. You will need to ask him.
2. (a) That's correct. Line fishing has significantly less bycatch than any form of netting. Nets may be size specific but they are not species specific. Anything that is the right size gets gilled.
(b) They have changed from 100Kg to a specific number of fish. Still the same principle - if they catch less than "X" then they do not add to the total quota. My views on this issue are well known - it sucks. The "X" should be 5 (rec bag limit) but is 40. That is a lot of mackerel and probably commercially viable to target at $8/kg.
Vern

Gazza
27-12-2002, 06:34 AM
Gazza.
Answers as follows:

1. With the Minister delaying "ring netting", we do not know what else he is delaying. You will need to ask him.

2. (a) That's correct. Line fishing has significantly less bycatch than any form of netting. Nets may be size specific but they are not species specific. Anything that is the right size gets gilled.

(b) They have changed from 100Kg to a specific number of fish. Still the same principle - if they catch less than "X" then they do not add to the total quota. My views on this issue are well known - it sucks. The "X" should be 5 (rec bag limit) but is 40. That is a lot of mackerel and probably commercially viable to target at $8/kg.
Vern

Thanks for your comments Vern,

Your answer (1) would be a sensible question for Ron to ask the Minister ;)

Your answer to 2 (b) is a worry !!....
Now ,while the Minister is "fiddling" around the edges ,due to this 3mth. delay granted to the "ring-netters" , I hope he is looking to give substance to a 140T TAC i.e. TOTAL Allowable Catch ,this "extra" must be counted as such ,and traced via the Fish Market floor , as it's SALEABLE , and Sales Tickets would have a verifiable kg.
Sure ,an extra 5(baglimit) isn't worth the chasing ,but up to 40 fish by 'X' kg by 'X' Pro's is a worry!! >:(

Regards,
Gazza