PDA

View Full Version : Guidelines for Avoiding Cruelty in Shellfish Prepa

jaybee
29-12-2002, 12:30 PM
While looking for a recipe I came across this
Probably make an interesting poll, how to you prepare your crustaceans?

In recent times ideas have changed about how to handle crustaceans in the restaurant and catering industries. Procedures causing pain or distress to crustaceans must be avoided.

Crustaceans used in restaurant and catering industries include lobsters, crabs, yabbies, marron, crayfish and Balmain bugs. People who handle these animals are responsible for ensuring the most humane methods are used when catching, transporting, housing and killing them.

Humane Killing Of Crustaceans
Salt water/ice slurry method
It is recommended that all crustaceans are immersed in a salt water/ice slurry for a minimum of 20 minutes before boiling, broiling, pithing or cutting. This ensures the animal is dead before procedures that may cause pain arc carried out.

The salt water/ice slurry is made by first filling a suitable container (such as an esky) with normal crushed ice, then adding salt water (sea water salinity). The ratio of normal ice to salt water should be 3:1, which will give the consistency of wet concrete and a temperature of–1°C. It is important that enough ice is provided to maintain the temperature of the slurry.

Rapid destruction of nerve centres
If the above method is not practical it is suggested that the central nerves be quickly destroyed.

Wherever possible, however, it is recommended that rapid destruction of the nerve centres be done after a 20 minute immersion in salt water/ice slurry.

Lobsters
Lobsters have a chain of nerve centres running down the central length (longitudinal midline) of the animal. For sashimi (raw) and broiling (grilling) methods these centres should be destroyed by rapidly cutting through the longitudinal midline (lengthways) of the lobster with a large sharp knife.

Two cuts should be made:

start in the midline near the tail/chest junction and cut towards the head;
from the midline near the tail/chest junction, cut towards the tail.
A mallet should be used to force the knife quickly through the animal. After cutting in half (lengthways) the chair of nerve centres at the front end (chest and head) of the lobster should be rapidly removed.

This procedure should not take more than 10 seconds and should only be done by a skilled operator.

Crabs
Crabs have two main nerve centres: at the middle front and rear of the animal.

When time is limited, crabs may be placed in a salt water/ice slurry for a few minutes, to stop movement, before:

rapid destruction of the front and rear nerve centres with a thick pointed, pithing instrument, or
rapid removal of the carapace (top shell) and destruction to the front and rear nerve centres.
These procedures should not take more than 10 seconds and should only be done by a skilled operator.

Unacceptable Methods
The following procedures are not acceptable because they have the potential to cause prolonged or avoidable pain or distress to crustaceans:

transverse sectioning, of lobsters (i.e., separating the head and chest from the tail of the lobster without first destroying all the nerve centres);
cutting crabs into sections before destroying the front and rear nerve centres;
boiling crustaceans before immersing them in a salt water/ice slurry for a minimum of 20 minutes.
Transportation And Housing
It makes good business sense to transport and house crustaceans in conditions that do not cause stress, as this helps ensure the animals are kept healthy. Healthy animals are especially important to the retailer who is dealing with expensive crustaceans.

During transport and transfer, avoid rapid changes in variables, such as temperature and water quality, as these can cause stress.

Sources of stress during housing include:

poor water temperature control
inadequate aeration
poor or unsuitable water quality
overcrowding
incompatible species kept together.
Signs of unsatisfactory conditions in holding tanks include:

foam on the water surface
cloudy water
slime and algal growth on the walls of the tank.
Methods to help maintain good conditions in holding tanks include;

providing water purification and filtration systems
using suitable water-testing procedures.
These guidelines have been prepared by the Animal Welfare Advisory Council, based on the Council’s understanding of the best information available at the time of drafting. The input and cooperation of the Restaurant and Catering Association of NSW is gratefully acknowledged.

mackmauler
29-12-2002, 04:28 PM
An interesting read there Jaybee, I reckon throwing the crabs straight into boiling water alive can be a great method, gives them such "distress" they shake the legs and claws off which is pretty handy.

I also think that the slurry method is a good one if you have a few crabs, knocks em out fast for ease of handling and saves em inflicting pain and suffering on each other in a small space...

The time I got grabbed by a muddie reduced my simpathy for them...

jaybee
29-12-2002, 04:32 PM
Yeh they bloody hurt hey, my bro cut his thumb on a spike of the shell, between cortizone and infection he nearly lost his thumb, I like the drop straight into hot water method, but like you said they thro their legs n claws, i personally beleive too much water gets in then, and the flavour isnt as good, what you reckon? I don't mind putting em in the fridge for a while either, until you find they have eaten ya T bone i've had out in case i didnt get a crab :P

mackmauler
29-12-2002, 04:44 PM
As far as the flavour goes Jaybee, I reckon they are at their best by cleaning them prior to cooking and boiling them in the water they came from, the body meat does taste a little more like sandies to me then and the flavour of the body meat never usually gets me to excited so I don't mind if it is a bit milder, or less "muddy" Also a wire cage is the go if dropn em in live or its hard to find the bits in a big pot, Whatever the method i like putting them in a slurry when they are done, firm meat is definitely my fav.

Cheers

Big_Muddie
29-12-2002, 04:56 PM
G'Day Fellas.

My method (for Sandies and Muddies) is to put them to sleep in the freezer, then clean them (remove carapace,fingers etc) but don't break them up. #Cleaning to be done in sea water preferably but salted water is OK.

Then into a pot of boiling sea water (or fairly heavily salted water) to which has been added some ginger (fresh or bottled) and a few teaspoons of either sugar or golden syrup.

From there on it's just the normal cooking time for the crabs.

Once cooked, straight into an ice slurry (once again sea water or salted water) until they are cold - that definitely makes getting the meat out later on a lot easier.

I definitely will not cook in plain fresh water - no matter what anyone says. I know from personal experience that the taste is nowhere near the same.

PS. The reason the carapace is still on the muddies in the picture to the left is that they were coooked at the Pin for transport home. It's illegal to have muddies in your possession without the carapace unless they are for immediate consumption.

jaybee
29-12-2002, 05:07 PM
gotta agree guys cooking them in the water they were caught in is the way to go, however, we have got of the discussion, and a ice slurry is the way i usually go when out an about, then a nice fire on the bank and yummoo, or take em home, take the ice out of the slurry and use the water for cooking. then the ice again for cooling them off. damn no i have got the wants.
cheers.