PDA

View Full Version : lake illawarra is dying

pyrox
28-12-2002, 05:17 AM
:'(
lake illawarra is at its worst in my memory. the entrance to the lake has shrivelled to the point of a couple of creeks and the fish and prawns are gone and the bacteria is at three times the max legal. something must be done before it is too late.
ideas to fix the lake can be shared and debated/discussed here.

hope for a pristene lake again
thanx for your time ;D

Vern_Veitch
28-12-2002, 07:13 AM
THe trick is to fix the catchment. Good Luck.
More population + more farming = more pollution. No ammount of tidal interchange can fix the problem because it is mostly the same water puching in and out anyway.
Good catchment management is the key to the health of our fisheries.
Vern

jaybee
28-12-2002, 08:28 AM
Where is lake Illawarra was reading an interesting story on dung beetles this morning how they can be used to clear up the water of Cryptosporidium, may not be relevant here but still interesting reading.
http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,5751246%255E421,00.html

pyrox
28-12-2002, 11:10 AM
has anyone seen lake illawarra lately(south of wollongong north of shellharbour), the water level is at its lowest and the sand, well there's more than i can ever remember seeing, to the point where the lake is so crammed full of sand that there is no room for the water to flow and thus the lake is dying and the entrance has closed over again so the water is going stagnent.
something has to be done. i beleive that only a breakwater from windang island north, meeting up with another breakwater from the windang side of the shore sretching east, forming a harbour of sorts, with a wave breaker further out will stop the constant in flow of sand.
if any one else has any ideas or suggestions on what could solve the problem in one large project, instead of little patches, post them here please
thanx for you time

pyrox
28-12-2002, 11:17 AM
heres a picture of what might save the lake from filling in with sand and serverely boost fishing and tourism!

Vern_Veitch
31-12-2002, 04:36 AM
No pictures pyrox but breakwaters create all sorts of flow on environmental problems and can destroy more fish habitat than they create. Look at the ongoing cost of sand pumping at The Tweed River and Southport Bar. Dredging can also be a problem but at least, in most cases, the contamination in the sediment can be treated or contained on land.
Vern

spinna
31-12-2002, 01:24 PM
pyrox

What you need to do is to lobby your local member and that mr bob car not that he gives a dam about fishos >:( . As it is his govermernt that has all but clossed down J.B and most of the good fishing areas around nowra. So all i can say is good luck and the more people you can get from around your area and down this way to speak out about this problem the better and its not your lake it is happening all over

cheers spinna.