PDA

View Full Version : Pros Netting

argonautical
03-01-2003, 04:04 AM
Goodmorning and Happy New Year.

Well it was until I got up this morning and saw this giant net in the bay (Waterloo Bay - Thorneside Qld)opposite where I live. The pros where pulling it in by this stage (7.00am) and through my binoculars I could see the fish caught in the net. I would guess that they were mullet. Couldn't see anything being thrownback.

I assume their license allows them to net here, but it just seems wrong. Also may explain why I never see much in the way of mullet jumping in the bay.

My ever practical wife pointed out that I buy 10kg boxes of mullet for crabbing, pillies for bait etc without any qualms regarding their capture, so there was a bit of a double standard. She's probably right (which in itself is annoying!) and harks back to another post I read recently about prawning bycatch and not buying prawns.

I guess when it is in your face (I thought I could smell the mullet in their boat) it gets up your nose.

Argo

Jewmaster
03-01-2003, 04:42 AM
Have also seen nets placed in SILLY locations, professional fishing is a touchy subject and you would think they wouldn't rub it in your face as such.

Have seen nets laid for over 5kms along the cost at dundee beach, right in front of all the holiday houses, the nets where exposed at low tide and alot of people walked along them in disbeleif at what thye saw.