PDA

View Full Version : need some help identifying a fish

turnerjmulletboy
08-01-2003, 05:27 AM
hey.
i'm trying to find out something about this fish i caught while spearing in the river here at port macquarie yesterday.

it was about 30-40 cm long, at first we thought it was a blackfish, but there was only 3 or 4 stripes on it, and they were about 5cm apart, and really thick. it's upper body has a bluey/green tinge to it, and the rest of it is silver. it's body was really rectangular, hmm i can't explain it any more.

we asked some old blokes at the tackle shop what it was and they said it was an "old maid", but i can't find any information whatsoever on them on the internet. perhaps they go by a different name ? any help would be appreciated. thanks

- Turner

mackmauler
08-01-2003, 05:50 AM
The text ive got here shows a fish matching the description "old wife".

Painful stings can be inflicted causing severe pain nausea etc!

Cheers

turnerjmulletboy
08-01-2003, 10:56 AM
hey thanks for replying

i've already checked the the "old wife" and it's not the one i'm after. this one was more "blackfish-shaped". but also more rectangular at the same time
heh.

thanks anyawy mate

mackmauler
08-01-2003, 11:11 AM
Hows this one.

Cheers

smerl
08-01-2003, 12:26 PM
Hi Mackmauler,

I was wondering what text you were getting those photos from. Must be fairly comprehensive?

Regards,

Simon

mackmauler
08-01-2003, 01:08 PM
The butterfish came from Ern Grants Guide To Fishes, the other a southern book, If your interested in Queensland fish Grants is the book, about 700 photos I think.

Cheers

Rob

smerl
08-01-2003, 01:14 PM
Thanks Rob,

I have been looking for a copy of Grants but it doesn't seem to be in any of the main stream book shops. Any ideas where I can get one from?

Cheers

Simon

mackmauler
08-01-2003, 01:20 PM
Simon, I think you might be able to track it down through the brownies coastwatch links, someone will no.

Cheers

Rob

wombat45
08-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi all,
Just got a book called Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia written by Rudie H Kuiter.It is a Comprehensive Reference For Divers & Fisherman and has over 950 species described,hope this is of some help.
Tight Lines
Wombat.

clutter
08-01-2003, 05:48 PM
Turner,
Could be a Black Spinefoot, otherwise known as a; Happy Moment, Blue-spotted Trevally or Black Trevally. They have rather large dark spots that sometimes look like stripes. They are often found in estuaries and river systems. If it is one, look out for the spines as they are poisioness and can inflict a very painful sting and usually will make a joint swell up and the victim become ill. If your are stung, put the affected part in the hottest water you can bear. (provided this is your fish that is) Try this link to find your fish.http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/students/focus/tnovaeh.htm

Cheers, Clutter.

clutter
08-01-2003, 06:38 PM
I just had a look on the site I suggested but could not find the fish I mentioned. The scientific name is (I think) siganus spinus and the best picture I can find is the one in "Grants Guide To Fishes". Hopefully this may be your fish.

Cheers again, Clutter.