PDA

View Full Version : Flathead Legal Lengths

argonautical
07-01-2003, 11:58 AM
Hi All,

I checked out the Qld DPI website a couple of times to confirm the changes to legal lengths for flathead.

I was under the impression that the new minimum legal length was 40 cms with a maximum length of 70 cms; and that it applied to all flathead species.

However the DPI website (Dec 02 document) only applies these limits to mud flathead, while bartailed flatties remain at 30 cms minimum legal length.

While I don't consider that it is worth keeping a 30 cm flattie of any type, I would like to know what is required.

Thanks
Argo

mackmauler
07-01-2003, 12:26 PM
Don't forget bartails are fatter and you'd be very lucky to catch a bigger one than 40 in SEQ, 30 sounds fair enough.

Pretty hard to argue with the dpi site, might even stand up in court ;)

Cheers

argonautical
07-01-2003, 01:13 PM
Mackmauler,

At the risk of mis-quoting Ken Brown, one of his radio spots refers to the change re flathead, but he also gives the impression that the 40/70 change applies to all flathead. That is in fact what prompted me to re-examine the DPI website, 'cause I figured I had missed something.

Argo

Wesley_Pang
07-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Guys,

I got a copy "Guidelines for recreational fishing in Queensland Tidal Waters Dec 2002" from the local tackle shop.

Flathead
Bartail 30cm No limit
Mud 40min 70max 5 limit
Sand 30cm No Limit

I guess the Mud is the same as Dusky.
Wes

Big_Muddie
07-01-2003, 02:06 PM
G'day Fellas.

I'll be talking to a Fisheries Patrol Officer in the morning about some other matters. I'll ask him about this and let you know the result.

argonautical
07-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Wes
That's consistent with what the DPI website says so I guess that answers my question. However I still don't understand why there is no mention of the fact that the change in the regs. only applies to one type of flattie only.

I have never really taken much notice of which type of flattie I have caught, so I suppose this means I will have to carry around my copy of Grants "Guide to Fishes" and study up on the differences.

Argo

Big_Kev
07-01-2003, 03:05 PM
Argo I love eating flatties .
Best eating fish in the easturie I rekon .
But I am with you that a fish smaller than 40cm is just a bit short of a feed and should go back .
Even with a bartail I am a bit shy .
And in my own veiw a Flattie over the 60cm goes back in the drink .
Although I love to catch the big ones and target these always even if not to keep them .
Anyhow this does not help your post so all the best Reel .

Big_Muddie
10-01-2003, 05:23 AM
Hi All.

I finally got to speak with the fisheries guy this morning.

The new limits (size and in possession) definitely apply to the dusky/mud flathead only. Other species of flathead are not affected. Their size and in possession limit (if any) are unchanged.