PDA

View Full Version : Chook Pellets

mon
11-01-2003, 06:58 AM
G, Day. Can anyone tell me where to find a feed/poultry outlet where I can buy some chook pellets for berley?? I live in The Gap area.
Cheers, MON.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
11-01-2003, 07:08 AM
check current #yellowpages A-K page 1234 "Grain & Produce - Retail" or a local pet store for smaller quantities.

chris

scroman
11-01-2003, 07:45 AM
G'day mon!
Try the Brookfield Produce Centre opposite the Brookfield Vet Clinic off Rafting Ground Road.
I buy pellets from them - one of the guys there is also a keen fisho and will put you onto the right stuff - tell him its for berley ;)
Good Luck - Scroman

Lucky_Phill
11-01-2003, 01:12 PM
I see you may be gathering the tools for a winter assault ?

The pellets work great on the bream.

I tend to buy them in the 10 or 20kg bag. Distribute them into smaller plastic drums with lids and they will last for quite a while. It is a great deal cheaper this way.

Scroman, is on the money with someone who knows they are for berley. !!!

Just add tuna oil and WOW, Bream heaven !

mon
11-01-2003, 01:54 PM
Cheers guys picked some up today.

I normally mix some bread, a tin of cat food and tuna oil, works well.
MON.

Finny
13-01-2003, 08:38 AM
Hi all,

Tried the chook pellets with sand and tuna oil. Just chucked the odd handfull over every so often and let it drift with the tide. Created my own little eco-system. We were catching everything from Rays through to BIG mullet.

My questions are:

Is there a better way to distribute this type of berley?

Should I be using a better mix?

Any tricks for stopping all the unwanted friends (Mullet, Rays etc)?

Thanks
Finney

Brian
13-01-2003, 09:21 AM
Finny,

For what its worth i mix the following.

1. Chook or Guinea Pig pellets
2. Wheat
3. Mashed up pilchards
4. Water
5. Prawn shells if you can get them

I put all this together mash it up very well and let sit until the wheat has absorbed the water. I then place it in milk bottles filled upto the bottom of the handle and freeze them.

When you take them out u cut half of the top out of the milk bottle and tie the handle to your boat so the action of the water going past enters the bottle and take a bit of the burley out as it melts.

Now why i said prawn shells is i take a feed of them tasty fellas with me and when i get a soft one on the hook it goes and float it out in the burley trail, the BREAM will love you for it :) :). The other bait i use with this method is yabbies and i fillet the pilchards and float them in the burley trail as well.

This method has caught me heaps of quality bream over the years and the ones i have taken home have been full as books with the wheat and prawn shells.

Hope this helps and good fishing.

Brian

Brian
13-01-2003, 09:25 AM
P.S this mix by not using tuna oil has cut the rate of rays and other non wanted species by heaps.

Brian