PDA

View Full Version : Employment in Tackle Industry

nick_B
10-01-2003, 04:14 AM
Anyone know of any vacancies in the tackle industry at the moment around Brisbane Prefrebly on the northside?

If so Please email me.

Interested in any Jobs in the tackle industry from servicing reels to Sales rep work experience in nearly all. I have My own non-profite tackle website and review fishing gear Am currently reviewing the latest Kilwell pencast222 distance casting rod and Accurate Fishing's Boss Magnum 665HXM Overhead reel.

Thanks in advance!

Any advice or help greatly appreciated.

murnan
10-01-2003, 01:30 PM
nick,
go to www.fishingmonthly.com.au
there is and add the bb in the brissie area how u get it
ryan ;) ;)

nick_B
11-01-2003, 04:50 AM
I am 24 and they are looking for a junior. Thanks for the tip though. Oh and the tackle shop is Mossops :)

mackmauler
11-01-2003, 09:45 AM
Nick, how do you get gig reviewing fishing gear :) That sounds great give the stuff a belting and hand it back 8) What species do you test on.

nick_B
11-01-2003, 12:20 PM
Well I got it by Buying tackle you know is good writing a review on it taking lots of fancy photos of it and say it like it is. Say what you believe if good and bad about it. always try to explain why. Then give to a magazine or get it hosted on the internet and let the manufacturer know i.e. email them the article. You may not get gear for free in the begining but you may get it at cost price or wholesale.

STEP 2 get ready to recieve all the hate mail.

I did a test on an Okuma reel and explained why it was crap, and got a slap in the face by all the nice ladies and gents that loves theres. Thats why I said to explain why!

Other than that just beg borow and kneel!

Ps. And ask people that have been in the industry for a long time advice on anything and everything, I still do!

Nick

nick_B
11-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Oh yeah and I test the gear on any fish. Eg take it Jack, GT, Flathead or Pelagic Fishing. And as a wise man once said if it ain't hooked it ain't hooked so tighten up the drag and thrash away.

Ps. The Accurate Reel is unburstable.

Big_Kev
12-01-2003, 02:07 AM
Nick I have bought an Okuma reel CD90 for my young bloke , it is only fairly new but it has kicked ass so far . Can I expect something bad to happen and be mopping up the tears of a disappointed junior ?
Ceers Reel

BOMBER
12-01-2003, 03:02 AM
Hi Reel,

re: the Okuma reels I have had a AV 30 for sometime have caught everything from bream to saratoga and this reel has performed perfectly, so much so I am going to purchase an Av 15 in the next week or so I have a Daiwa regal Z 1500 and find the Okuma up there close to the Daiwa. Just remember how many times do you read a movie critic bagging a movie don't go to the movie when its released and then finally see it sometime later only to find out that you thought it was a great movie. Sure listen to the critcs but these people aren't the be all and end all when it comes to purchasing tackle.

Regards,

THE BOMBER

nick_B
12-01-2003, 03:09 AM
You picked one of the good Okuma's!
The models specificaly made for saltwater are built a lot stronger.
If you rinse the reel after each outing you should be right. The other plus is the Drag is smooth as silk.

Okuma has a new reel coming out soon for saltwater called the Axeon.

Manufacturers of spin reel all need to use Alloy for there frames as the plastic and graphite ones have to much flex some so bad that you can squeeze the frame between 2 fingers and see the movement.

nick_B
12-01-2003, 03:14 AM
The models designed for fresh water are the problem ones.

Eg Okuma Fina and Metaloid

The paint came of the first day I used it. Some of the Okumas are brilliant. And yes always make up your own mind and have your own opinion!

Good fishing to you all!

kc
12-01-2003, 04:35 AM
Has anyone done a review on the TiCA Sculptor?? I recently brought one and has literally #$@! itself after about a dozen trips. Bearings collapsing, lumpy drag, casting mechanism failure. Really poor when you pay around $500.

I have a Cronarch still going strong ater nearly 10 years.

V.F.O.

Regards

KC

nick_B
12-01-2003, 04:49 AM
I haven't personally played with the tica reels much but have heard a lot of complaints about the bearings in there eggbeaters. There GAme reels are Good from what I have been able to gather from there owners but thats all I can tell you.

Maybe another tackle basher might want to coment http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm35.gif

Mad_Barry
12-01-2003, 09:28 AM
Oh yeah and I test the gear on any fish. Eg take it Jack, GT, Flathead or Pelagic Fishing. And as a wise man once said if it ain't hooked it ain't hooked so tighten up the drag and thrash away.

Ps. The Accurate Reel is unburstable.

How did you test the 665hxm ? & what did you find with it ?

Barry

nick_B
12-01-2003, 09:44 AM
I haven't got to thrash it yet as I need to go out fishing for very big Cobia, kingy and Gts but there have been no one going out lately unless you are :)

I will probably hook it up to a towbar and get someone to drive flat tak away for 200metres or so and repeat the process until it (the drag) starts to cook. But they will be hard to fault it as the drag is classified as unlimited and its smooth as silk.

Just from having a play with it makes me consider buying one a year until I have 2 of each for live baiting and because there so well made.

I let the guy's at Allround Angler in Caboolture and they agree it kickes but and they all want one. And unlike most leverdrag game reels it has instant anti-reverse which by the way is wicked as. But like all game reel's you wouldn't want to get sand in it.

So basically I just really want to get out and go thug bashing with it!

caveman
12-01-2003, 09:50 AM
u were talking about akumas i hav 2 of them and sofar they r excelent i just hope u r wrong about them. we broke the leg off 1 and took it back, the fellow felt bad about it & sold us the 2nd 1 at a discount price & sent the other 1 back with the rep and low and behold we got it back all fixed up at no cost, so as far as warranty goes they appear to be ok
all the best
caveman

nick_B
12-01-2003, 09:56 AM
Thats one thing that Okuma is very good at and that is the warranty repairs and service is second to none.

BOMBER
12-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Have also had big probs with the Tica Sculptor have one which I gave a fair work out at faust on Meter plus barra at the comp in October of last year literally the fish destroyed bearings and gears have had it rebuilt since and will be giveing it its first workout at the end of the month on some more barra, the person who rebuilt the reel told me that the mechanics inside the Sculptor was fairly average for the money you pay for them.

Regards,

THE BOMBER

kc
13-01-2003, 02:58 PM
Hi Bomber,

Nice to know it is not just me having problems with the TiCA Sculptor.

I have sent mine back but the bearings look just too small and light to handle any serious load and I'll be taking the 10kg Braid off mine and respooning with 4kg and using for light stuff only.

I should have brought another shimano but got "sold" by the tackle store on the TiCA.

I got barra barra in october which measuredd 157cm (didn't lift her out to weigh it but she had to be 30kg plus) and my 10 year old cronach handled it easily.