PDA

View Full Version : a mangrove for lake illawarra?

pyrox
13-01-2003, 09:31 AM
;D
what about establishing a series of deep channels throughout the entrance of the lake, and on smallish islands of sand grow mangrove trees.
these trees would stabilise the sand and keep it in the one place while also providing a fish habitat and nursery, and mangrove trees can also remove pollutants from the water.

an idea in progress.
and it would probably be cheaper than building large breakwaters etc.

all comments are welcome here or at pyrox@zip.com.au

iceberg
14-01-2003, 10:14 AM
Sounds like a good idea, although I don't know if these small mangrove islands could stand up to the pressure of big wave/tidal action. I like to see a permanent opening and your 'islands' made while dredging some decent channels inside the lake to improve water flow.

green_1
14-01-2003, 05:16 PM
The problem seems to be that the new breakwall has limited the mouth to the north side, which has in the past been blocked in the summer months due to the predominant noreasters blowing sand off windang beach! In this situation the mouth would find its way out through the warilla(south)side, then as winter comes, the southerlys would blow the sand off warilla beach and block the mouth, again causing it to make its way back to the other side of the Island.
I just spent the afternoon spinning up near the mouth, and it is truely sickening to see the lake in such a state!!!! :-[ :-[ :-[ :'( :'( :'(
A northern breakwall would have to go out all the way into deep water to stop the summer migration of sand into the mouth!!
dredging and creating channels is only going to be a quick fix with out something there to block the windblown filling the channels up!

Unfortunately, I think they should actually remove the whole breakwall now in place, to give the bloody lake a chance!!!

Sorry if my post sounds negative! or feel free to criticise ,if Ive been ill informed, but as I said before, I was sickened by what I saw this arvo.
On top of all that my daughter and i managed a good bream and chopper both going back to struggle in the fast decreasing Lake Illawarra!