PDA

View Full Version : Marine Radio

big_george
16-01-2003, 02:57 AM
I'm about to buy a marine radio.My fishing is mainly in rivers,creeks and a odd trip out side when the weather allows.[4.15 tinnie].Should i go for a fixed unit or go the hand held.??? ;D
Any brand sugestions would be appreciated.
Big george ;)

jaybee
16-01-2003, 04:53 AM
my personal choice would be gme george here is a web site to kick you off. Shop around at times you can pick up a radio with aerial for the price of the radio.
cheers

http://www.gme.net.au/marine/index.html

big_george
16-01-2003, 01:56 PM
Thanks boys.
John Who. ;D.Are you that poor bloke who took my handicapped mate [swano] out fishing.?
Regards big george. ;)
for jenny :-*

whiteman
18-01-2003, 08:53 AM
I have a GME 27MHz and it works very well except for an intermittant problems with the aerial (I think this is the problem!) - I can send but not receive. So make sure of your connections.

QUESTION - why not go for a VHF? Our local Coast Guard says this is the way forward.

Kerry
18-01-2003, 11:41 AM
QUESTION - why not go for a VHF? Our local Coast Guard says this is the way forward.

Yes, certainly is and the cost difference these days is SBA compared to the performance and capability.

There's just a licence issue (operator) but really it wouldn't hurt if all boaties did the license even for 27mhz.

Cheers, Kerry.