PDA

View Full Version : Determined to become a LB fisho

Fisherman02
15-01-2003, 03:07 PM
hey guys
im really determined to catch a flathead while being landbased. My only flatties have been caught from boats, so would any of you kind hearted people out there be willing to part with some of your successful spot. I live in Buranda so please not too far. Would be using white bait on a gang of two 1/0 hooks
cheers jack

Daniel_Folley
15-01-2003, 03:51 PM
hey
i ont know that area but it would probably be a good idea to try softplastics.try using a softplastic shad in a few different colours and get some that are about 4 inches long or maybe a bit bigger you should start to catch a few nice flatties if you fish them slowly back to the shore :)

Fisherman02
15-01-2003, 03:53 PM
hi mate
thanks will give it a go just need to find a location
cheers jack

aquarius
15-01-2003, 04:02 PM
HOW ABOUT THE SAND BAR BETWEEN WELLINGTON POINT AND KING ISLAND.....THE WATERLOO BAY SIDE HAS CLEAN SAND AND THE OTHER SIDE IS MORE REEFY STRUCTURE BUT THAT MIGHT BE WORTH AGO ASWELL.
CHEERS BRENT

mackmauler
15-01-2003, 04:09 PM
Jack there are some good spots on the amity banks, next time i go out ill drop you there if you want, only small prob is there is only land at low tide you'll have to stand neck deep as the tide comes in, might not be what you were after ;)

Rob

spinna
15-01-2003, 04:16 PM
Hi jack ;)

Mate you could try the shoalhaven river or the sand flats just down from the punt #;D. that is if you would like to travel that far.

cheers spinna ;) :)

Big_Kev
15-01-2003, 04:20 PM
Don't worrie about that Mack I will lend him my snorkel .
Reel

CHRIS_aka_GWH
16-01-2003, 03:42 AM
jack,

grab a map, pick a creek mouth around the brisbane foreshores, gold coast or especially some of the tweed coast creeks. Pick a runout tide half out to the bottom ebb. Rig a small running sinker with 2 foot trace no heavier than 20lb. Cast 6 casts in each spot in a fan shape to cover an arch, little flicks & a jerky retrieve so the sinker puffs sand. If you feel a bump drop the tip #wait for the weight as flattie swallows. No luck. Move along 15m & repeat.

You'll find em jack - be patient.

chris

ps Or for a day long adventure walk on the barge to moreton for its first run over. Do this technique up the inside beach for the day & if you don't get a flattie I will eat my stinky sweat & pilchard encrusted hat!!!!

If you do this travel light with minimal tackle but make sure you've got hat, suncreen etc & at least 2litres of water in your wading bag. Know the time of your return barge, carry a watch & keep your eye on the time.

jaybee
16-01-2003, 04:46 AM
As Chris said cant go past moreton, a bit closer to home hop on a train to lota, down around the creek mouth you can walk right out into the bay on a low tide, work the tide out casting into the channel and work it back in, be careful though the tide can come in around behind you and before you know it you are up to ya chin in water. Umm thats my chin and i'm a bit taller then you,Good prospects for flatties, whiting, the odd sole or is that soul mmmm.

argonautical
16-01-2003, 03:07 PM
Fish2

There is a readers story on p24 of the Jan isue of Qld Fishing Monthly on luring flatties from the Wynnum foreshore.

Will look forward to reading posts of your results.

Argo

Fisherman02
16-01-2003, 03:24 PM
thanks heaps guys
never though I would have this many replies i'll give lota a go as it is a lot closer.
cheers again
jack

mackmauler
16-01-2003, 03:48 PM
Some great replies they were to Jack, if its any help you made the right decision, The one that required the least determination ;) ;D

Fisherman02
16-01-2003, 04:00 PM
Thats it mate ;D
LOL
jack

Big_Kev
16-01-2003, 04:23 PM
Jack I have heard some good tales of flatties caught off the rock wall on the forshore from wynnum around the mouth of the wynnum creek .
To back this up I have even been shown the photos .
Happy fishing LB Jack .
Cheers Reel

Fisherman02
17-01-2003, 03:10 PM
hey kevin
yer that might be a good idea. Is is made up of rocks or is it like cement? I think i know one around there
cheers jack

Big_Kev
18-01-2003, 01:57 AM
Yes Jack it is made from rocks and cement . All the stuff found between my ears .
Just give us a yell when you want that snorkel , you can pick it up on your way past .

Dominator
18-01-2003, 05:42 AM
Hey Jack I've heard Flatties like the taste of tim tams, maybe you could flick one of them around the rock wall. LOL ;D

Cheers,

Dominator

jaybee
18-01-2003, 09:43 AM
Hey jack don't forget to try some WD 40 on ya lures or bait, wombat swears by it eh. roflamo :o

Fisherman02
18-01-2003, 03:13 PM
Yer kev I think I know the one is there a boat ramp on the other side?
Dominator, I hope Sam isn't reading this http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm6.gif
LOL joe yeh mate if it doesn't catch anything at least it will offer the least amount of resistance when casting and retrieveing
cheers jack