PDA

View Full Version : Trolling in Port Stephens for tailor etc.

Rob_W
19-01-2003, 02:49 PM
Was wondering if anyone could suggest locations inside Port Stephens for boat trolling raider lures or feathers for tailor, salmon, king etc. ie in Sydney Harbour the sow and pigs is the obvious spot - is there a similar gun spot in Port Stephens? Middle Island?
or is this information top secret.......

NQCairns
21-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Hi, sorry to inform you but on the whole trolling inside the bay is a bit hopeless, there are quite a few flathead around in spots and you can brain the small Taylor up around Middle Is near the soldiers point ramp, also some good bream if you are lucky and everthing is going your way. But all is not lost depending on where you can go in your boat. Send me an email, and I will draw you a map to brain the Taylor (guaranteed if they are around)and also the sandies, bonnies and sometimes the Kingies. Dont know why but that beautiful bay is hard to fish with a lure for anything decent, not saying it doesn't happen but it is tough going overall.Guess nothing has changed in 7 months since i lived there.Cheers Nqcairns

dencor11
21-01-2003, 08:00 PM
Howdy,
Just a note about trolling in the bay, old matey was right there really isnt to much in the bay its self. Up around the heads isnt to bad for Bonito and the rat kings and maybe even the mac tuna if there around and if your lucky the Blue fin maybe there to but Its a little early for them yet. Both heads have the fish there but inside the bay its a whole different story, try small bibbed lures for the flatties and the bream. Middle island is a great spot for the tailor but there generally smaller fish, a lot of fun but a lot are undersize.
Like Nq said I have maps on disk and would happily pass them onto you if you like.

Cheers.

Rob_W
24-01-2003, 01:03 PM
Many thanks for responses. Think I should have been fishing the port 50 years ago.......
Much appreciate offer of mudmaps showing better locations.
email ospreydesign@bigpond.com
or post PO Box 129 Five Dock NSW 2046