PDA

View Full Version : Black Bass

jack_attack
14-01-2003, 03:39 PM
Any one else read the articled penned by Warren Steptoe about the black bass?

Any one stop to think that Jacks in Somerset or Wivenhoe should grow to be as big and be just as much fun?

Daniel_Folley
14-01-2003, 04:55 PM
i also read the artical they sound like they would put up a bloody good fight better then our bass i would think. :)

stik
18-01-2003, 07:32 PM
Do you guys not have black bass. I thought they grew in fresh water all over the world. I think the world record is a little over 22 pounds and the Texas state record is 18.18 pounds. They put up a hell of a fight but as with all fish, the big ones are few and far between.
tight lines from Texas
Benny

Daniel_Folley
18-01-2003, 07:51 PM
nope sadly we do not get black bass over here i think the closest they are is in png http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm22.gif

Brett_Finger
19-01-2003, 03:39 AM
Here's some Black Bass Action from the man who started it all!! :o :o
Hookin,Brett ;D

Rev
22-01-2003, 11:03 AM
Do you guys not have black bass. I thought they grew in fresh water all over the world. I think the world record is a little over 22 pounds and the Texas state record is 18.18 pounds. They put up a hell of a fight but as with all fish, the big ones are few and far between.
# # # # # # #tight lines from Texas
# # # # # # # # # # # #Benny

I think the Black Bass you're taliking about is something like a Carp.

The Black Bass from Niugini and surrounding Islands is from the Lutjanid family.

Lutjanus Goldiei.

This is my best so far at just on 9kg.

Going back in August, anybody interested in a seat?

Rev. #;)

Travis
23-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Good to see you still around Trev,mate please put a hat on for all further photos mate ;D.....

And jack l also think in not to many years ahead we will be using big tackle in our impoundments for very big unstoppable jacks.....

trav

Rev
23-01-2003, 06:46 PM
Trav,

Going over to P.N.G. in August, wanna come along? ;)

Rev. :)

Travis
24-01-2003, 06:53 AM
Trev,we are currently looking at prices to go over to PNG ,so mate you had better send me the prices etc...

td

jack_attack
24-01-2003, 07:43 AM
August!!!! <"insert cursing here"> We are doing a trip through central Qld to the Isa and then back down the coast from Townsville fishing our way home in September. It is a pity, I am hanging to get over there and get my arms torn from their sockets.

mackmauler
24-01-2003, 07:59 AM
Rev, what part of png do you go to, I've got some friends over there and are none to complimentry of the locals. I used to ponder the possibilities of the force of these brutes, such action is closer than png though all be it not black bass, try the big amberjacks on the 100m line drop offs this winter, don't know what tackle can pull these up :o

Rev
24-01-2003, 06:42 PM
Trav,

August or September.

The peak dates are on the Full or New Moon, so I've locked away a choice of a couple of weeks around the Full Moon.

It's worked well on the Barra for me, so that's what we'll try.

I've emailed a P.D.F. to you and we'll be booking through Gordon, same as through the other guys.

MackMauler,

I've fished, based on a Mother Ship moving down the coast from Lae to almost Popondetta, where this next trip starts.

I've also been into Bensbach and spent a few weeks out on Bougainville Island putting in some C.C.T.V. gear at the mine in Panguna (before the trouble out there).

As for the locals?

Well what can I say, choose your place and company and you should be okay.

The place where I caught the Bass, pictured previously, was a little River/Creek running from a fresh water lake called Lake Koena near Cape Ward Hunt. When we went to leave the river mouth, we were greeted by a 'national' carrying Bush Knives (like a Machetti) and Spears and a small Fishing Bow.

He wanted us to stop, so we did, and he said he wanted our boat for payment for fishing in his river or K500 (Kina). We told him we had already paid the guy who lives at the mouth of the river and then an argument followed.

We left the boat and our driver with him and piled into another boat and returned to the Mother-Ship. When all of the others returned the Captain and the boys went ashore and there was lots of arm wavin' and gesturing and they returned with the boat and driver.

We packed up and left that river straight after dinner.

Other folk I've met are okay.

I wouldn't go wandering around Port Moresby, Lae, Popondetta or any other major centre, for that matter, by myself either.

Brett,

We might be heading back to Bensbach in June 2004 for some fast and heavy duty Barra action.

That'll test you, here's a sample from my trip in August this year.

Rev. #;)