PDA

View Full Version : Straddie options

sharkbait
29-01-2003, 12:24 PM
Well after spending many years coming and going from a mates place at Point lookout I'm making the move there semi permanently - although I'm still working in brissie so will be spending a few nights a week here. In a couple of weeks I will take the boat over, and in the nature of the ausfish chat, would like to put a few things up for discussion. Lately I have been spending my fishing time on the shallow grounds off mud, peel, wello and green chasing the usual suspects. What sort of similar prospects does the eastern bay hold? I've heard about patches of coffee rock and reef in the rous and the rainbow - can these be found by sounding / exploring? what about the artificials? I'm not asking for anyones spot X, but given that i'm prepared to explore where would you guys start looking? I'm pretty familliar with peel and have some spots there that sometimes produce, but I guess i'm interested in the patches away from the islands (and crowds). I have heard many rumours - mackerel, cobia, longtails off amity, jew and snapper between myora and one mile so feel free to post anything, I think a few years will be enough time to suss some of it out!

mackmauler
29-01-2003, 02:16 PM
The locals head out off the lookout and round flat rock mostly, all you need is a tractor or decent 4wd to launch at the sheltered corners, when the wahoo were on last year boats as small as 3.8 were nailing them, can't beat that sort of action, and right on ya doorstep, not a bad life.

Cheers

Big_Kev
29-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Buddy when you get set up over there I can give you the contact number of my uncle who is a long time islander and a keen fisho .
He will take you out and show you how its done or will give you some genuine pointers . . One thing is for sure he will put you on the money .
Cheers Reel Hard

Big_Kev
29-01-2003, 02:42 PM
And yes the rumors you hear are correct . And I have some piccies to prove it .

sharkbait
29-01-2003, 04:01 PM
Reel and Mackmauler - thanks for the replies, some top ideas and yes, what a life, I'm just a little excited. I'm keen to put the tinny in off flinders or further up towards amity but It will be a decision not made lightly, for obvious reasons. i have mixed feelings as to whether the hilux is up to the task. Anyways I will be in brissie fairly often so ill keep posted on ausfish. Thanks again.

mackmauler
29-01-2003, 04:11 PM
The hilux will be fine, just avoid times when tourists have churned the access. An extended drawbar won't go astray either, got 1 for my trailer.

Cheers

bugman
30-01-2003, 04:47 AM
Sharky,

I'm in the process of looking for a place on Straddie myself. Leaning towards Amity because Pt Lookout prices are pretty ridiculous. Can't wait. We've given ourselves until June to decide on a place.

As for fishing. I know a couple of guys at Amity who fish pretty hard. They generally chasing whiting and crabs but will target parrot and mackeral in season from around the Rous. I've beached launched my fibreglass half cab from Flinders before and that's where most of my fishing will take place once we get over there. It's not that far from there for pretty awsome fishing grounds.

Found the best place for launching is closer up to Adder Rock. You get some steeper gutters up that way but an extendable draw bar is a benefit.

Keep in contact and we'll be out for a fish when we're on Island time ;D ;D

Bugman

sharkbait
30-01-2003, 09:44 AM
Bugman - Too right about the prices in point lookout, they seem to have have gone through the roof. My dad's mate bought a block in tramican st in the sixties for under 10, 000 and has recently had it valued at around 400 thou just for the land! Personally I think Amity is underrated, there are some very nice shady streets with close access to the beach and bay without the thousands of tourists too.
Hope you find something good, i'll be keeping up with ausfish and am looking forward to that fish!

Big_Kev
30-01-2003, 02:08 PM
Sharky if your looking for a house my uncle has one of his for sale in amity .
I was fortunate enough to have lived on the island in the seventies when all was dirt roads and the fishing was to good to be true , we used to live at the point and the hardest part about catching a feed was walking to the beach .Regards Reel Hard .

sharkbait
01-02-2003, 04:53 PM
Reel - I wish I was looking for a house. unfortunately i'll be renting for quite a while, went over wed night to check out the house which turns out not too bad at all, big anyway. I think bugman is looking in amity but he probly saw your post anyway. we're on the 8am barge tomorrow with the boat but the weather forecast says not too much fishing this week!