PDA

View Full Version : Haywire twist

mon
31-01-2003, 05:12 AM
Reading a couple of articles on Mackeral they have suggested using a single strand wire leader with a twist. Does anyone have a diagram of the twist and and recommendations on what wire to use?

Cheers MON.

mackmauler
31-01-2003, 06:10 AM
The twist is explained with a diagram on the packet, Similar to a blood knot it is but, once you've done 10 twists or so thats it, the twists don't unravel...Thinner wire is easier to tie, 30-40 kg is my preffered.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
31-01-2003, 07:36 AM
and Mo,

if you use single strand store it in a PVC pipe to stop it getting a kink. A kink not only weakens it slightly but creates a "flash" point that will have mackeral hitting the leader or will make them suss if they are feeling spooky. I don't regard myself as a gun mackeral chaser but the boys I know who are, will throw away a kinked trace or shorten it, they regard it as useless otherwise, especially if trolling baits, not so much for high speed lure work.

chris

rick_k
01-02-2003, 09:05 PM
and if you are going to tie a 7 turn haywire twist, then a 7 turn barrel role ( a nice smooth wrap around the standing part of the trace), hold the trace and the last turn of the barrel roll in pliers when snapping off the tag, like in the pretty pictures.

Rick K