PDA

View Full Version : Rex's Gill Grip

andy_thomsen
05-02-2003, 06:56 AM
Hi Everyone,

I was watching Rex's show yesterday, and i was amazed he still grips fish in the gills, fish he wants to release!

I was under the impression that if you stuck your fingers or hands inside the gill cavity you would damage the fish's breathing organ. #A bit like shoving a hand down your throat.

I would just like to hear other people's opinion on this subject, personaly a wet towel or hands and a soft net are best for releasing fish. #Another great tool is a de-hooker and off course de-barbed hooks.

I don't mean any harm i just thought it was bad teaching kids fish damaging techniques.

Andy Thomsen

addicted
05-02-2003, 09:57 AM
you took the words outa me mouth... i totally agree with you...

craigie
05-02-2003, 02:05 PM
Yes, I watched that particular episode on the weekend where Rex gripped the flathead by pinching It's Gills from underneath. To make that technique effective you have to hold on tight and avoid being spiked.
Almost certain to cause some type of trauma to the Gill area.

Don't get me wrong, Rex has done more for Rec Fishing than any other person or organisation, It's just a point of Fingers and Gills are a dangerous combination (for Humans and Fish).

Cheers
Craig.

PG
05-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Isn't there a vein or artery on that lower gill ach? From memory when I cut the gill arch there to bleed fish, the first thing I notice is a spurt of blood! It's very close to the heart. What I'm thinking is that when you grip that area firmly maybe it's more like strangling someone, blocking blood supply?
Anyone else?

Rev
05-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Hi Everyone,

Another great tool is a de-hooker and off course de-barbed hooks.

Andy Thomsen

Are they those de-hookers that people continually shove down the poor fishes mouth into it's throat and gill area, time again to get a hook worth a few cents? :-[ :-[ ??? http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm10.gif

They should be banned. >:(

I've seen so many little fish killed by folks using those things (de-hookers) to get a hook back. >:( http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm10.gif

Barbless Hooks are a good idea though.

Rev. ;)

TonyM
06-02-2003, 06:37 AM
Rev,
Too true - I can never understand why anyone would slaughter a fish to retrive a hook worth a few cents when the only thing they are acheiving is wasting time and killing a fish... :'(

I find I get my line back in the water where it belongs, far quicker if I cut the line on a swallowed hook, re-tie it and away you go.

They seem to take ages shoving that torture device down there, shoving and twisting while I'm allready feeling my next bite! ;)

andy_thomsen
06-02-2003, 07:23 AM
Hi Rev,

Don't want to start an argument, but i don't believe a de-hooker is a fish killer, just the person using it. (Guns don't kill people, People kill people)

I fly fish a lot and when i spend 15 minutes tying a fly and it's stuck to the inside (side) of a fish's mouth a de-hooker gets it out without fuss. Barbless hooks are a must though.

And off course if it's deep in the throat cut it off or eat the fish.

Andy.