PDA

View Full Version : Pin Bar and convicts

Luke
02-02-2003, 09:55 PM
Did you know that I think it was the late 1800's North and South Straddie were joined. A boat got stranded about where the pin bar is now.Was half full of booze and the other half was full of dynamite.convicts pulled the booze off and decided it would be easier to stack and blow the explosives. A severe storm helped seperate the two and today you have the pin bar. Seen it on the telly sounds good! :)
Cheers Luke

CHRIS_aka_GWH
03-02-2003, 05:09 AM
... and it slowly crept north to its current location, but North Straddie is still slowly disappearing.

Interestingly, the Seaway many, many years back used to be a lot further south too.

Have you been to the Pin Bar lately? Mother nature trying her best to join the islands again. The beauracrats that keep interfering with Noosa beach should learn a lesson from watching nature at work, sand comes & goes in cycles.

I was astounded a month or so back to read the Noosa council was actively removing washed up seagrass from the beach, because of the smell of it. That seagrass, any beach fisherman can tell you, holds beach sand in place. Some times you gotta wonder.

cheers,
chris

Heath
03-02-2003, 05:41 AM
Bar's such as Southport & the Pin move around a lot, well they used to. I used to frequent Northern NSW a lot in my younger days & we used to go to a place called Old Bar. It is here that an arm of the mighty manning river exits to the sea. Over the last 20 years, i have seen the bar there close up completly & the lagoon be reduced to sand dunes, only to reopen a few years later & spring back to life with weed beds, crabs, fish etc. It is simply mother nature. Even though us fishermen prefer deep water easy access tothe ocean, I think some things are better left to mother nature. Here in SE QLD we are not lucky enough to have head lands such as Sydney that provide a safe haven to boats, I guess we just have to learn tolive with it. :)

flathead_fred
03-02-2003, 11:12 AM
it sounds like you watched the documentary on the weekend about the sand island on the south queenland coast. ot was pretty interesting wasnt it. especiallt the parst about the island in moreton bay.

seeya

flathead_fred
03-02-2003, 11:14 AM
jeez, my spelling is pretty average. sorry guys.

squire
03-02-2003, 02:48 PM
Guys I thought, through reading a lot of history about the redland shire that it was actually cyclone Pam that caused the seperation of North and South Straddie. Could anyone tell me what this documentary was? Would be interested on their factual aspects. regards squire.

mackmauler
03-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Wouldn't recommend the pin bar as a good crossing while we are on the subject ;)

Rob

bugman
04-02-2003, 04:39 AM
I'm tending towards the cylcone idea myself rather than the dynamite story ;)

How do you think the initial farmers got their cattle onto North Straddie. THey were swum across the broadwater onto Straddie and then marched north. It was all one big island. But when she separated they had to start taking them off and on via boat.

Straddie's got a pretty great history :)

Bugman

Big_Muddie
04-02-2003, 06:01 AM
Hi All.

I stay at one of the 2 huts just seaward of the Slipping Sands - the green one. #It stands on the site of the original stockyards used on Nth Straddie. There is still an original post from those stockyards there and it has the following historical notice next to it.

This post is one of the last remaining links to the stockyards which were first erected on this site in 1875.

The yards were built to ship wild cattle to the mainland as they were plentiful at the time.

The cattle proved to be very difficult to round up and eventually were shot for their hides.

After the sea broke through at Jumpinpin in 1898 the cattle were then shipped in an ancient steamer named Clyde.

No calves born on the island survived which probably accounts for the demise of cattle raising as an industry on the island.

We hope you will help us preserve this landmark so future generations may learn some of the early history of the island.

The notice is very faint now and difficult to read - the quote above is my best attempt at transcribing it.

The lessee of the land and owner of the hut is pretty sure it was placed there by an historical society but he can't recall which one.

Just a bit more of the area's history.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~mroberts/HistNotice.jpg

webby
04-02-2003, 03:53 PM
hi All,
The dynamite story is true, instead of trying to remove it they exploded it, which cause the initial damage, the cyclone was the final hurdle and the seas broke through, the original passage caused by these two events was further south a few hundred metres, but mother nature has dumped a heap of sand over the years and pushed the passage north to where it is today.
regards

jaybee
04-02-2003, 04:35 PM
mmm media, you know what they say, beleive none of what you hear and half of waht you see. an interesting story http://www.southstradbrokeislandresort.com.au/history.htm

gunna
07-02-2003, 04:07 PM
I can remember back in the seventies there were two bars for a while after severe flooding.

mackmauler
07-02-2003, 05:01 PM
Pin bar 1975.

bugman
08-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Look at the sand on the Bottom side of North Straddie there :o.

Certainly not like that now

CHRIS_aka_GWH
08-02-2003, 03:54 AM
thanks rob fasinating photo,

that & current satellite pics go a long way to explain a couple of our favourite haunts on the surf side of straddie. Although a lot of sand has been moved around, the actual shelf of the island still reflects that sort of form & seems to channel fish to particular locations.

The mouth of tiger mullet channel would have been a lot more bumpy on an incoming tide too.

chris

gunna
08-02-2003, 03:18 PM
And how good was the fishing for the couple months after that storm. The old man raved about it. I had a holiday up there and still have a photo of 4 jewies around 10lb, a couple lizards around 60 cm plus a number of thumper bream. All caught one saturday arvo in a hole just down from Cabbage Tree. Been back many times on holidays over the years and never caught fish there again.