PDA

View Full Version : Car Damage - Wello

argonautical
09-02-2003, 06:10 AM
Went fishing friday morning, departed from Wello about 4.00am. Sometime between then and about 9.30 am someone tried to break into my Blue Rav4. Damaged both doors on the driver side - drivers door twisted and will probably have to be replaced. Looks like a crowbar was used to try and jemmy the doors open. At the least I am up for the excess, so its made for a very expensive outing.

Whats worse is that I am not going to feel comfortable leaving the car there in the future, so it probably means going down to the secure area at Raby Bay - 20 mins each way rather than 5 mins each way.

Not happy

Argo

mackmauler
09-02-2003, 06:55 AM
One morning I came back in there and noticed at least 20 trailer number plates stolen, inc mine.

If its only 5min away you could get a tractor, that should be safe.

The_Walrus
09-02-2003, 10:48 AM
If it's only 5 minutes, get your partner to take the rav4 home and return it? ;D

Luc

argonautical
09-02-2003, 12:20 PM
Luc,

My wife is a pretty good sport - but asking her to get up at 3.30 am and drive me down to the ramp and then wait around at home for me to ring her and pick me up is a big ask.

Plus I sometimes fish in the evening, leave around 9.00pm and get home after midnight, she is just not going to be keen on on a call at 2.00 am.

The bottom line is that this should not be necessary, but at the moment I am going to be out of pocket at least the $350 excess. I would guess more than $500 damage to the car - and it may not be worth making a claim due to loss of no-claim bonus etc. I can't continue to fish at the times when I do and cop that.

Its a bit like the low-life that swipe crab pots, it just pisses me off that they think its OK to take someone's property.

argo

Gazza
09-02-2003, 01:20 PM
I would guess more than $500 damage to the car - and it may not be worth making a claim due to loss of no-claim bonus etc. I can't continue to fish at the times when I do and cop that.

argo

Sorry to hear mate.
BUT , make a call to your insurer ,as IF it is NOT your fault ,I'm fairly sure this won't affect your "no-claim"

I'd still launch 5 mins. from home mate ,don't be intimidated by low-life.
(install a security alarm ,if you don't already have one.....about $200 ,but normally this reduces your premium as well)

Regards
Gazza

aquarius
09-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Hi Phill (Argo)..sorry to hear about the car damage mate....there's always scum ready to upset a great days fishing...maybe an alarm might atleast scare them off but hey if they are after something in your car you won't stop them!!
Ive had my car broken into mate so i know how you feel....id like to catch the buggers and wack them over the head with me shark club!!!!!!!!! >:(
Cheers Brent

caveman
11-02-2003, 02:04 PM
they are the scum of the earth when i was in darwin last year the people i was staying with told of a young bloke that was caught trying to break into cars at one of the boat ramps out of town so the fellows put him in the boat and took him for a ride and left him on a crocidile trap apparentley they never saw him trying to break into cars again, yes someone did rescue him about 4/5 hrs later food for thought eh
cheers

Beggsy
12-02-2003, 08:34 AM
When I'm really hard up for somewhere to fish at night, I'll occasionally fish from the old boat ramp at Wello and I'm here to tell you I wouldn't leave my car unattended in that carpark..........
When I fish there I make sure I've got my nice heavy homemade gaff with me..

The place can get absolutely chockers with hoons (I've seen literally hundreds of them there on a Thursday or Friday night). The cops and a Council(?) Security guy come through occasionally, but I think they're only coming in response to locals complaining about the noise - the security guy seems to just go around breaking up kids who are there "parking".
The thing is, neither the cops or security are there long enough to establish whether anything untoward is happening around the cars with trailers. If I see anything dodgy when I'm there, I call the cops - but the response time ain't real quick.

I would suggest that for these larger ramps where people tend to leave cars overnight, the Council should set up cameras like they have at Rail Stations. You might need to petitiion Redlands Council for this.

argonautical
14-02-2003, 04:01 PM
As a matter of interest, just got my first quote to repair damage $1917.

argo

Lachie1
14-02-2003, 04:30 PM
holy sh*t thats a fair bit of damage there mate. Wouldn't you just love to catch them doin it >:( ;D >:(

Good luck, Lachie

sharkbait
14-02-2003, 04:58 PM
phil - only just saw your post, you were very unlucky, that could have been any one of us. Quite a few times I have left the hilux or my dads cruiser there when it was the only car in the parking lot. I suppose the police gave the standard 'theres not much we can do'? you mention the Raby bay lockup but like you say, an extra 20 min. for you it may be worth it but I already drive half an hr to get to wello and most of my spots are within 500m or so from the wello leads. I left the hilux (which lives at straddie now) at dunwich overnight on tues and someone has tried to jimmy the bonnet open with a crowbar, possibly to steal the battery, I'm not sure. This was within 50m of the front door of the police station, no kidding. Bloody thieves - now I have to buy a new bonnet.

argonautical
16-02-2003, 01:12 PM
Kris
All I can say is I know how you feel. The cost of the damage is a pain in the arse, but the bigger issue is what to do to prevent future trouble. Have you got any secure place to leave the Hi-Lux at Dunwich?

I went fishing friday morning (4.00 am start) and drove down to Cleveland cursing all the way.

Caught a couple of small whalers and a few squire around 30cm, but nothing keepable. It was some comfort to return to find the Rav as it was left. Oh well, at least I will get some value for my membership fees.

phil

Barrymundi
16-02-2003, 03:01 PM
My poor Hilux was always getting broken into at some Units I lived in.

I installed $20 flashing LED on my dash. Purchased from Dick Smiths.

Not one attempt since the red LED was installed.