PDA

View Full Version : Illegal fishing hot-spots identified

jaybee
21-02-2003, 01:15 PM
The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority says Mackay, Rockhampton and Gladstone appear to be hot-spots for fishing operations illegally targeting coral trout.

Senior fisheries project manager Mick Bishop says several Queensland vessels have been apprehended fishing in green zones in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.

Mr Bishop says the fish are being targeted to meet hungry Asian markets.

"Most of the fish that's taken is for the live trade and all of that fish goes to Hong Kong, flown out of Cairns, and that supplies the live fish for the restaurants in Hong Kong and mainland China," he said.

if this is the case why isnt anything being done by both federal and state government with all the new security at airports due to terrorist fear ?

rick k
21-02-2003, 07:34 PM
Hey Jaybee,

I am unhappy about this too, but live coral trout (or whatever) out, is not the same as terrorists of C4 in or out.

Hello Defence Signals Directorate, glad to see you are on the ball.

You need to remember the Golden Rule, Jaybee, he or she with the gold makes the rules.

Plus, we all know that exports are good, they help the balance of trade.

Who cares if all the best food, be it fish, crabs, prawns, or fruit and veg is exported, at least the Australian consumer (u and i) can buy our undies cheap from China.

Who cares if a public resource is shipped wholesale overseas to feed the wealthiest of 1/3 of the Earth's population? Its good. Get with the program.

Meanwhile a few hundred of the Chardonay set (whoops, I like a nice chardie myself, especially with a nice steamed muddie I have just caught) wants to stop us, cruel amatuers, from catching a feed, while lionising the pro who helps with the balance of trade.

Except where a cotton/cane farmer or overstocked grazier has buggered it for all of us.

Cheers,

Rick

jaybee
21-02-2003, 07:52 PM
gee thanks rick i see it in a better light now, i think --- NOT. ;D the way i read into it they know the fish are going out of the country illegally and are not prepared to do anything about it. or did i read it wrong. oh well, least i have my cheap undies from china.
cheers.

Jack_Lives_Here
22-02-2003, 06:27 AM
Rick,

You support illegal fishing in protected zones aslo - as were the grubs caught recently to supply this os market?????????????