PDA

View Full Version : News Release - Trawl Operator Fined

QLD_Fisheries
01-03-2003, 05:19 AM
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/news/NewsReleases/11921.html

The information contained in this document is distributed by the Queensland Government for information purposes only. All reasonable steps have been made to ensure the information is accurate at the time of publication. For more information visit the DPI Fishweb site at http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb

smerl
01-03-2003, 08:11 AM
Good Work!

bugman
01-03-2003, 10:57 AM
Just my opinion but I would have liked for the judge to impose a bigger fine than $1,500.

Well done for the conviction.

Brett

Lucky_Phill
01-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Trawl operator fined for possession of prohibited species

A Brisbane-based commercial trawl operator has been fined $1500 for possessing prohibited species listed under the East Coast Trawl Management Plan 1999.

The man was fined and had a conviction recorded in the Wynnum Magistrates Court on Friday (February 21) for possessing eight tropical rock lobsters and 16 kilograms of sole.

Department of Primary Industries Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) officers apprehended the man in Doboy Creek, Wynnum, after he had been tracked from Cairns in far north Queensland.

QBFP field officer, Nicholas Dennis, Pinkenba, said the fine and conviction should be a deterrent to anyone else thinking they could get away with breaking fisheries regulations.

“The courts have sent a message which is anyone who breaks the rules will be caught and will pay the price,” Mr Dennis said.

Mr Dennis said certain species such as sole and lobster were protected under the East Coast Trawl Management Plan 1999 for a range of reasons including the sustainability of fish stocks.

“Certain species are protected for good reason which is to ensure that fisheries resources are not placed at risk,” he said.

That is all fine, But as Brett said, these guys are " Professional " and therefore the penalty for this offence should be a great deal more. >:(

Navi
03-03-2003, 08:58 AM
I know this may sound tuff but why can't they take the license away from the skipper of the trawler , I mean if he must have knowen he was not allowed the catch so why just give him a slap on the hand,
this is just my thoughts.

Cheers Navi.....