PDA

View Full Version : setting the drag

Bushbasher
28-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Ok, so here's my first newby question and I hope it isn't a silly one but why is the drag set at a quarter of a line's breaking strain?
I would have thought anywhere from half to two thirds of breaking strain would be sufficient to avoid breaking the line .
For example ; I have a Shimano Spectrum rod rated to 8kg modified to to take an overhead reel that has an Abu 7000 spooled with 8kg Platypus pretest mono. What ,if any,is the problem in setting the drag to say 4 or 5 or even 6kg if the rod and line are rated to take it?

Jeremy
01-03-2003, 03:01 AM
The reason is that the faster the line is pulled from the reel and the more line is in the water, the more friction there is one the line and the more pressure on the line. Also, you can get busted off on the strike due to inertia of the spool etc.

The recommended drag pressure is 33% line strength. You can try increasing this, but the higher you go the more you will get busted off.

My thoughts anyway

Jeremy

CHRIS_aka_GWH
01-03-2003, 04:19 AM
drag setting of 1/3 the breaking strain compensates for few things -

1. HUMAN ERROR - #we are all idiots when full of adrenalin & some peoples 1/3 may be closer to 1/2. One third gives a safe magin of error for most stupid things we do when attached to a fish. Also your drag may have "flat" spots that grab.

2. Imperfections in the line from wear, manufacture & KNOTS etc that have weakened the breaking strain - a chain is only as strong as its weakest link - there are only a few knots that retain close to the original lbreaking strain. Interestingly spinning reels also decrease the breaking strain of line compared to overheads & alveys - a problem they have tried to alleviate with the roller on the bail arm but it still exists to a lesser extent.

3. It stops you bringing a "green" fish in. The more line you have out the more stretch available to compensate for the fish surging. Also setting a drag high against a fighting fish often opens up the hole the hook has made & increases the chances of it throwing a hook.

seeyainthesurf,

chris

neptune
01-03-2003, 04:41 AM
Remember also that the force required to peel line off a full spool is a lot less than when the fish has taken out half your line and the spool size is reduced. I sometimes reduce my drag even less halfway through a long battle if I have a lot of line out. Only by experience will you really know if the drag is set right at the time.

spike2
01-03-2003, 05:45 AM
conditions play a part in drag setting if you are fishing amongst snags and the species is big jacks dont give them an inch lock the drag and pray
cheers

Bushbasher
01-03-2003, 06:19 AM
Thanks guys .
All very valid and logical points and certainly more than enough to convince me to back the drag off.

Cheers guys

Lucky_Phill
01-03-2003, 12:11 PM
Good explaination and reply Chris ;)

That part about us " ALL ' being idiots is.................On The Money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fisho
03-03-2003, 05:22 PM
Wherever youve got that drag (I suggest 1/3), when a sizeable fish gets next to the boat drop it back a bit - you'll be ready for that last dash for freedom! ;)