PDA

View Full Version : New to Mackay.. Need help!!

Brett_Hoskin
02-03-2003, 06:13 PM
Hi Guys,

I have been in Mackay a short while and have been getting a few Flatties to 800mm and a few good sized Fingermark but that is about it. Anyone got any tips on well known or not so well knonw Barra and Jack haunts.
I have tried the harbour, with out success and have had reasonable luck at Sandy Creek.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Brett

Brett_Finger
03-03-2003, 04:06 AM
Brett,
mate shot up the road to Teemburra Dam, it's about 1/2 hours drive up the road towards the range on the south side of Mackay.

it's well worth a fish with lots of barra the lead-up to the full is all good #;D ;D
the dam holds some snodger Sootys as well!!.

i have a good friend at the
"Cool Palms" motel he's an ex-Shamino rep and good fisherman,his name is Richard, shoot in and say hi tell him ya me mate and ask him to point you i the direction you seek #:P

and of course you are only 1 1/2 hours south of "Faust Dam" the best Barra Fishing Impoundment in the state.

Ring Lindsay Doobe at "Proserpine Tackle" and he'll be only to happy to point you i the right direction.

if you go to Faust, once you leave the ramp head across the right to the other side of the dam it's about 1km i suppose,use ya sounder to find the dropp-off and Troll-Troll-Troll!!!

hope this helps,or else i suppose i could come up and show you around myself #;D ;D ;D
Hookin,Brett

krazyfisher
03-03-2003, 09:49 AM
are you land based or in a boat?

Brett_Hoskin
03-03-2003, 05:54 PM
are you land based or in a boat?

Both.

I dont mind a fish of the rocks or bank and I have a 12 ft V-nose with me at the moment. The boat is a little bit of a hassle as I do not have a suitable trailer for any more than a very short journey on sealed roads.

Pity about the bloody rain , eh!. It could have waited until tomorrow>!!!!

Cheers

Brett_Hoskin
03-03-2003, 06:01 PM
Brett,
mate shot up the road to Teemburra Dam, it's about 1/2 hours drive up the road towards the range on the south side of Mackay.

it's well worth a fish with lots of barra the lead-up to the full is all good #;D ;D
the dam holds some snodger Sootys as well!!.

i have a good friend at the
"Cool Palms" motel he's an ex-Shamino rep and good fisherman,his name is Richard, shoot in and say hi tell him ya me mate and ask him to point you i the direction you seek #:P

and of course you are only 1 1/2 hours south of "Faust Dam" the best Barra Fishing Impoundment in the state.

Ring Lindsay Doobe at "Proserpine Tackle" and he'll be only to happy to point you i the right direction.

if you go to Faust, once you leave the ramp head across the right to the other side of the dam it's about 1km i suppose,use ya sounder to find the dropp-off and Troll-Troll-Troll!!!

hope this helps,or else i suppose i could come up and show you around myself #;D ;D ;D
Hookin,Brett

The dams are very low at the moment. I was out towards Nth Goonyella Mine the other day and had to go past Lake Elphinstone and it looked no more than a big puddle , Eungella Dan is also very very low.
I think I will sneak out to Teemburra and have a look ( I am sure I can find a potential customer out there somewhere to Justify the trip!!!)

As for Faust I may need to do a work trip to Prossy on a friday and just happen to take the boat with me... just in case I need it over the week end.

Will give you a ring through the week.

Say hi to Nat and the billy lids..

Hoorooo

DRJ
04-03-2003, 08:47 AM
Just an update on the Dam Levels. Kinchant, Eungella and Teemburra are all on the rise after our recent rain.

Had a report from the weekend of a land based angler getting 7 fish at Teemburra at an average length of about 700 in 2 hours. Not a bad effort for a few hours chucking a lure around.

Fished Eungella about a week ago for 26 Sooties with quite a few in the high 400 size range and a barra at 490 from last years stocking. (also managed to finally hook one of the bigger barra up there only to be wrapped around a tree).

If your interested in being a part of the stocking scene here in Mackay just let us know. The members are pretty good at helping you get to know the spots and times to try.

Darren

sooty
04-03-2003, 05:34 PM
JUST WATCH THE SAND BARS AT EUNGELLA THEY ARE HUGE
:-[ :-[ :-[ SOOTY

DRJ
05-03-2003, 04:50 AM
Maybe with the rising water level you wont need to keep such a good eye out hey.

Brett_Finger
05-03-2003, 04:58 AM
Brett,
Kraz has your work Phone and is going to ring ya,i have shoot my mate Richard a contact for you as well,bouth good fishers you should have no worries meeting mad fisho's like yourself up there.
if i had my way i'd move there myself ;D
Hookin,Brett ;)

krazyfisher
05-03-2003, 03:27 PM
brett
I have send you a private message I will try and catch you with you for a chat.

brett(TBF)
mate you just stay down there they dont let just anyone move to mackay ;D ;D